Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 AM

45 posts, read 141,907 times

Advertisements

kawgpz550The Jews BELIEVE in Jesus, but they believe He was a great prophet and not the Messiah/Savior that was promised in prophecy.

Actually Jews not only do not believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but they also do not believe that he is a prophet. Some Jews may believe that be was a great man or a great teacher but to most Jews the subject of Jesus is simply irrelevant.

There is also a branch of Judaism (I don't know what they are called off hand) that DO believe that Jesus was the Messiah but are still considered Jew.

There are Jews who believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah who I believe are called "Jews for Jesus" but it is not a branch of Judaism and in my opinion it is pretty much the same as being a Christian if they believe in Jesus.

You said you thought you were "Agnostic" you cannot be Agnostic and be a Jew...Jew's DO believe in God, with all of their heart!

Most Jews do believe in God but from what I have read faith in God is personal and is not discussed, but to be a Jew you must live your life by the commandments and be a good, generous, loving person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessD View Post
kawgpz550The Jews BELIEVE in Jesus, but they believe He was a great prophet and not the Messiah/Savior that was promised in prophecy.

Actually Jews not only do not believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but they also do not believe that he is a prophet. Some Jews may believe that be was a great man or a great teacher but to most Jews the subject of Jesus is simply irrelevant.

There is also a branch of Judaism (I don't know what they are called off hand) that DO believe that Jesus was the Messiah but are still considered Jew.

There are Jews who believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah who I believe are called "Jews for Jesus" but it is not a branch of Judaism and in my opinion it is pretty much the same as being a Christian if they believe in Jesus.

You said you thought you were "Agnostic" you cannot be Agnostic and be a Jew...Jew's DO believe in God, with all of their heart!

Most Jews do believe in God but from what I have read faith in God is personal and is not discussed, but to be a Jew you must live your life by the commandments and be a good, generous, loving person.
Ok, I stand corrected as it is getting late...I should have said that SOME Jews believe He was a great prophet...some believe He was just a man...

As for the rest of your response...I am going to leave that alone! The basis for Judaism is GOD...I don't know how you can say "most" Jews believe in God. I cannot see how one can be Jew and NOT believe in God. Maybe Gizmo can answer this...???

Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Ok, I stand corrected as it is getting late...I should have said that SOME Jews believe He was a great prophet...some believe He was just a man...

As for the rest of your response...I am going to leave that alone! The basis for Judaism is GOD...I don't know how you can say "most" Jews believe in God. I cannot see how one can be Jew and NOT believe in God. Maybe Gizmo can answer this...???
Religion isn't just belief or faith in God.
The basis for Judaism is the Torah.

Instead of being defensive, educate yourself.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessD View Post
Religion isn't just belief or faith in God.
The basis for Judaism is the Torah.

Instead of being defensive, educate yourself.
I wasn't being defensive.
And I'm not sure I am the one that needs to be educated
Maybe you should start here: The Basics of Judaism - Torah.org

Here's just ONE lesson
2. God in a Nutshell

If all of Judaism could be summarized in one word, that word would be God.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 AM

I forgot to give you another website...you might be intrested in this one...It shoul give you all the answers you are seeking! good luck on your journey

Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » Your Questions Welcome Here!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I forgot to give you another website...you might be intrested in this one...It shoul give you all the answers you are seeking! good luck on your journey

Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » Your Questions Welcome Here!
Both of those websites i have been to and most Jewish websites are made by people who are in very orthodox branches of Judaism who believe that you have to have complete faith in God. Not all branches of Judaism have the same beliefs, from what i have researched in the past 4 years.

I didn't mean to affend you, your answer seemed very defensive to me.
And those were just condescending.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 AM

I'm not saying Jews don't believe in God.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
And I will make of thee [Israel] a great nation and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing; And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed" (Genesis 12:2,3). Before I get flamed for using the OT, I dont think anything has changed in the way I (we) as Christians look at the Jewish people, they are Gods chosen people. Jesus was a Jew, the new testament says we are grafted into the family.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelAura28 View Post

I did say I loved Jewish people and found them open-minded and more accepting than MOST Christian groups [or at least, I am saying that now]. Not necessarily individual Christians -- just certain groups. My mother is still a strong Christian, as are most of my relatives. It doesn't change how I feel about them. I may disagree with them, or anyone, it doesn't mean I don't respect or care about some of them.
You are from NY, aren't you? Haven't you been exposed to Orhodox Jews who don't even look gentiles in the eye?

Just as there are extreme Christians who will judge, there are extreme Jews who will do the same. On the other side, you meet hundreds and hundreds of Christians who will never open their mouths about faith. Just as you will meet Jews who do the same.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Ooooooooook then.... I can understand not agreeing with a certain religion, but to sit there and say that "Christians" make you feel like you're in hell and/or make it sound that Christians make it "hell on earth" so to speak is rediculous! Didn't you just judge US they way you said you do not like to be judged???? BTW, I think the TOPIC of the thread is what do you think about Judaism...not what do you DISLIKE about Christians!

Anyway...back to the OP:
As a Christian, I/WE have the UTMOST RESPECT for Jews! The Jews are God's chosen people. And, as previously mentioned, Judaism is the grounds and basis for Christianity. The BIGGEST difference is that the Jews do not believe in Jesus as being the Messiah. The Jews BELIEVE in Jesus, but they believe He was a great prophet and not the Messiah/Savior that was promised in prophecy.
However, I do also know that there are Jews that have converted to Christianity because they were convicted that Jesus was in fact the Messiah. There is also a branch of Judaism (I don't know what they are called off hand) that DO believe that Jesus was the Messiah but are still considered Jew.
I guess the biggest thing that I would personally have to say to you is...
Do you believe in Jesus? Do you believe that He is the Son of God and was sent here to die for your sins? Or do you only believe in God and that Jesus was only a good prophet? You said you thought you were "Agnostic" you cannot be Agnostic and be a Jew...Jew's DO believe in God, with all of their heart!
I would suggest asking and asking and asking, whether on here or elsewhere and determine if you really do believe in God and His deity! That is the most important thing you need to figure out before trying to convert to anything

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me anytime! I will do my best to answer whatever I can for you
Good post Kawgpz, The Jews you are refering to are referred to as Messianic Jews, Jewish by birth but have become christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality