Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I don't know much about Judaism, I'm Christian, I do know they were God's "chosen people," and Christianity is based on Judaism.
I would like to know a Jewish person.
Well, you've got a living, breathing one right here... so I guess you can say you "know" one now! And I understand you don't mean any offense by your post, but I can't help but giggle at the way you talk about us - almost like we're some mysterious creatures, like the lochness monster or something.

Quote:
I don't know of any living where I live....I do like the cultural elements of Judaism, as well. So I don't have a lot of "facts" or personal experience but I would like to know some Jewish people...although, come to think of it, I drove through this tiny town the other day (so tiny it's not listed on City-Data - pop. probably 100); and there was a Star of David in the window of this house....I thought that was kindof neat.
I have to ask, how do you know there aren't any in your town? We're not as "obvious" as, say, a Black person, since we come from a variety of nationalities... for instance, I have bright red hair, blue eyes, freckles, a small-ish nose, and long legs - which goes against every stereotype of a Jew. Only thing I have that's totally Jewish is my coarse curly hair, but lots of people don't recognize that as one of our traits. Though you can sometimes see where we live, by the mezuzah on our doors... that's a small box near the doorstep, which contains a Hebrew prayer inside (Judaism 101: Signs and Symbols). Anyway, I think you might find one of us lurking nearby, if you look hard enough - LOL.

Quote:
Revealling my ignorance here, but why are Jewish people persecuted? I asked my Mother when I was about 12 and she didn't know...(gosh this sounds lame!), but I'd really like to know...and I really don't know!
My mother always said, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!" Actually what you asked is a very good question, and an incredibly complicated one at that. There are many reasons we've been persecuted, ranging from the belief that we killed Christ, hatred of Israeli politics, simple ignorance, and even the fear that we're trying to control the world. Ever heard of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion? It was a famous hoax from nearly 100 years ago, which convinced millions (?) of people that we were a dangerous force: Anti-Semitic Myths: The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion: Introduction
I suggest you also read through this site, to see other reasons we're so hated by some: Anti-Semitism International
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, you've got a living, breathing one right here... so I guess you can say you "know" one now! And I understand you don't mean any offense by your post, but I can't help but giggle at the way you talk about us - almost like we're some mysterious creatures, like the lochness monster or something.
LOL!!!!!! I thought the same thing...though I didn't really want to say anything. But...now that Giz has taken the bullet. Anyway, I thought that comment was kind of cute. I know the poster didn't mean anything by it. I guess where I am originally from, there were lots of Jewish families. I think I read somewhere that there are as many Jews in New York City as there are in Israel, though I could be wrong on that...just something I heard and am too lazy to Google right now.

My niece is "half" Jewish (I'm not sure which half...yar har) and so is my oldest son, but they're both non-practicing. And then on my husband's side, I have one niece and one nephew and they are both practicing Jews and in fact my niece just had her Bat Mitzvah last year. Weirdly, the entire rest of the family is Baptist, but generally non-practicing. I had my own "duh" moment when my husband and I were dating and the subject came up and I said, "I thought Baptists were only in the south." And "Do you guys sing?" He married me anyway. But honestly...sterotypes of all these different religions do exist.

I guess I can't comment on the point of the post because I'm really not a Christian so I can't say how I would view Jewish people from a Christian standpoint...I guess way way back when I practiced Catholicism I thought the religion itself very mysterious (not like Loch Ness, though) with a very very old religion that stretched so far back and was still going strong. (As for the people themselves, as I said, we were a neighborhood with lots of Jews, tons of Italians so...whatever...I wasn't either...ALWAYS gotta be different...) I honestly never thought about anyone non-Christian "going to hell" or anything like that. I only ever thought about that when I myself stopped "believing" (if I ever really did) and then I began to wonder, but that was from a gentile standpoint. So...sorry for the hijack when I wasn't able to contribute a whole lot!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Well, you've got one right here! So there really aren't ANY Jewish people where you live? I guess that makes sense, since we're only about 1.8% of this country's population, but it still seems weird to me! Wish I could get you all to meet my great-aunt, who survived the Holocaust (in Lodz & Auschwitz) but lost most of her family... she actually doesn't ever talk about it, but I bet she'd have some stories to tell. Congressman Tom Lantos is a local & a survivor, and used to speak at our Temple about once a year - truly amazing and heart wrenching to hear him speak. Anyway, I'm glad you're all saying positive things about Judaism/Jews, and JessD, feel free to ask me any questions you might have... I'm not a scholar or anything, but will do my best to help.

P.S. If you want to read some great books on the Jewish experience, try these: Night - Elie Wiesel, The Chosen - Chaim Potok, The Bread Givers - Anzia Yezierska, and Maus I & II - Art Speigelman (that one's particularly fascinating, since it's done in comic-book style).
Well HI Gizmo~ that is so cool to know that you're a Jew. But now you're in for trouble because I, for one, will have a lot of questions for you in the future. No, actually I don't think that are any Jews that live here. I believe the nearest Temple is 70 miles away. Anyway, you just made my day cause now I can say I have a friend who's Jewish.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 PM

253 posts, read 640,731 times
Quote:
So what about those of us who personally know the lochness monster (and bigfoot).

Anyways, I think that I take a rather pro-Jewish standpoint, I really hate it when people use "Jew" as a bad name or anything like that and I have a deep respect for Jewish beliefs. That's all there is to it because there aren't any jews where I live, but if there were I think that I wouldn't treat them any different than I treat anybody else really.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
So what about those of us who personally know the lochness monster (and bigfoot).
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll just have to go on the Loch Ness and Bigfoot forum.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Seems to me that a lot of Christians over the ages have looked at Jews over the sights of a loaded gun.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Well HI Gizmo~ that is so cool to know that you're a Jew. But now you're in for trouble because I, for one, will have a lot of questions for you in the future. No, actually I don't think that are any Jews that live here. I believe the nearest Temple is 70 miles away. Anyway, you just made my day cause now I can say I have a friend who's Jewish.
LOL... feel free to ask any questions you have, though I can't promise to know all the answers! And yes, you can officially say you have a Jewish friend now - even if it's just in cyberspace.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL!!!!!! I thought the same thing...though I didn't really want to say anything. But...now that Giz has taken the bullet. Anyway, I thought that comment was kind of cute. I know the poster didn't mean anything by it. I guess where I am originally from, there were lots of Jewish families. I think I read somewhere that there are as many Jews in New York City as there are in Israel, though I could be wrong on that...just something I heard and am too lazy to Google right now.
I actually think you're right on that, though I'd also have to research it... from what I remember, there are approx. 2 million Jews in New York City, and only about 4 million of us WORLDWIDE - so by those numbers, yes NYC has more than Israel. Guess that's why I love visiting that city so much, aside from the fact that my father was born & raised there (Brooklyn, to be specific).

Old 03-15-2009, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
I disagree I think Jewish people are very close minded and extreamly judemental when it comes to people that are not their religion at least from my experiences that was the case.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergril View Post
I disagree I think Jewish people are very close minded and extreamly judemental when it comes to people that are not their religion at least from my experiences that was the case.
Another county heard from. Wondergril...to put it mildly, you have a lot to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality