U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: would God punish His children forever
definitely 9 24.32%
never in an eternity would He 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,918,974 times
Reputation: 8127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
if something in the bible contradicts Gods good charachter-like the eternal hell concept-or condradicts His love for all of humanity-then its wrong-do you agree or do you accept the condradiction
What contradiction?

We have our whole lives to change our ways and repent.
If we refuse to do so, we were warned.

Jesus told the prostitute, " go and sin no more "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,932,658 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think some people want justification to lead their lives in a sinfull matter .
yes they are called christians-we sin but it dosent matter because jesus will forgive us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,932,658 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
What contradiction?

We have our whole lives to change our ways and repent.
If we refuse to do so, we were warned.

Jesus told the prostitute, " go and sin no more "
good example of what IM tryin to say

Jesus showed just as much love to a member of society that would have been classed as filth-"he who has no sin cast the first stone"-in other words we are all sinfull so who are we to judge

he said "go and sin no more"but he didnt ad or else your goin to be burned forever-there was no warning in that statement but some good advice,and i bet she did stop sinning-
now how many people do you know christian or non christian who have stoped sinning?

p.s can you answer any of my questions in the first post of this thread-i forgot to type the question mark, sorry-but the questions are there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
 
701 posts, read 658,705 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i dont think thats completely true IMO- for one-how can Gods heart be broken ,He is in constant spiritual bliss-no man can break the heart of God-theirs nothing we can do that can effect Him-if this were true then God would be in a constant state of sadness since 99%of us are sinners

2-its the same question that keeps being avoided-God knows past,present ,future right-so why would He send people here knowing that they will be destroyed?-would you send your children to a place knowing that they wll fall for temptation and then be destroyed-it would be better for them not to exist at all -there existence would be pointless in other words.
1. For God to be in "constant spiritual bliss" He would have to be quite ignorant and He most definitely is not. Have you ever been in a war room before. the mood can be quite somber at times, but there is also celebrating when skirmishes are won here and there. that doesn't mean they have lost site of the battle underway it just reminds them of the ultimate victory they look forward to. God will be saddened by everyone of his children who are lost, but ever more filled with joy at each one who of their one free will choose Him. Which brings me to your point #

2. God doesn't "send" people here. We are all descendants of Adam, who was created here. God's true love for us is made clear in his willingness to let us make our own choice. God may know when we are born whether or not we will choose Him in the end, but that doesn't mean it isn't our choice, and it is that choice that forms the deepest bonds of love. Think of a guy who married a woman and loved her so much he never let her out of the house. Sure he might say he loves her but he never knows if she truly loves him because he has never given her the choice to love another. now take another guy who married a woman and she was free to do as she pleased. He would truly know her love is genuine by her actions. If she stayed with him he knew it was of her own free will, and that is just as important for her as it is for him, even though he knew she would stay with him, she had to come to that decision on her own, otherwise her free will would have been stripped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 PM
 
701 posts, read 658,705 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
God WON'T punish HIS children.
You aren't his until you have accepted him as your Lord and Savior!
We are ALL God's children. Kids today, actually take their parents to court and divorce them, but that will never change the fact that they are still their parents children. Just because someone rejects God it does not mean they are no longer His. Haven't you ever read Jesus' parable of the prodigal son? True Christianity is more of a relationship than a religion. god seeks a relationship with us and that is something that must be worked on daily. If a Christian murders someone, and does not repent and seek forgiveness, then he too will be cast into the lake of fire created at the final judgement. Once again in regards to the OP, this christian fully understands that there is no eternal hell as depicted my the majority of christians today. Sin and all remains of it (save for the marks of Christ's crucifixion) will one day be eradicated from this universe, and that cannot happen if "hell" exist for as long as the new heavens and the new earth. Read the book of Revelation. God is going to create "hell"(a lake of fire) right here on this earth, then all the wicked will be cast into it, and once that fire has fully consumed everyone of the wicked, including Satan and his angels, the earth will be made new and we will dwell here with God forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,932,658 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
1. For God to be in "constant spiritual bliss" He would have to be quite ignorant and He most definitely is not. Have you ever been in a war room before. the mood can be quite somber at times, but there is also celebrating when skirmishes are won here and there. that doesn't mean they have lost site of the battle underway it just reminds them of the ultimate victory they look forward to. God will be saddened by everyone of his children who are lost, but ever more filled with joy at each one who of their one free will choose Him. Which brings me to your point #

2. God doesn't "send" people here. We are all descendants of Adam, who was created here. God's true love for us is made clear in his willingness to let us make our own choice. God may know when we are born whether or not we will choose Him in the end, but that doesn't mean it isn't our choice, and it is that choice that forms the deepest bonds of love. Think of a guy who married a woman and loved her so much he never let her out of the house. Sure he might say he loves her but he never knows if she truly loves him because he has never given her the choice to love another. now take another guy who married a woman and she was free to do as she pleased. He would truly know her love is genuine by her actions. If she stayed with him he knew it was of her own free will, and that is just as important for her as it is for him, even though he knew she would stay with him, she had to come to that decision on her own, otherwise her free will would have been stripped.
well youve completely missed the point-Gods love is unconditional-and if you think about what your sayin there about God- it realy goes against an unconditionally LOVING God

LOVE-LOVE-LOVE_LOVE dont do that $hit m8

you are the one that is in complete ignorance to me and not God who is LOVE how can LOVE stop being LOVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM
 
701 posts, read 658,705 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
well youve completely missed the point-Gods love is unconditional-and if you think about what your sayin there about God- it realy goes against an unconditionally LOVING God

LOVE-LOVE-LOVE_LOVE dont do that $hit m8

you are the one that is in complete ignorance to me and not God who is LOVE how can LOVE stop being LOVE
No you are missing the point. God is Love and He does Love unconditionally. God does not however force you to love Him. That is the point I'm trying to get you to understand. Some people are so attached to sin that they hate God. God loves them so much that, as much as HE would like them to be in heaven with Him forever, they have chosen otherwise and so therefore they will suffer the destruction they have chosen. He will not force them to spend eternity with the God they hate so much, Heaven would be torture to them. Read my earlier post on what hell really is. These children He loves will not suffer torment forever, once they have received their punishment, they will simply cease to exist, as they have chosen that end for themselves against their God's desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,071 posts, read 4,968,677 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
No you are missing the point. God is Love and He does Love unconditionally. God does not however force you to love Him. That is the point I'm trying to get you to understand. Some people are so attached to sin that they hate God. God loves them so much that, as much as HE would like them to be in heaven with Him forever, they have chosen otherwise and so therefore they will suffer the destruction they have chosen. He will not force them to spend eternity with the God they hate so much, Heaven would be torture to them. Read my earlier post on what hell really is. These children He loves will not suffer torment forever, once they have received their punishment, they will simply cease to exist, as they have chosen that end for themselves against their God's desire.
I assume you are talking about atheists, although atheists don't hate god. They merely do not accept the belief in invisible friends and they are not attached to sin. Most atheists live happy moral lives without the need for superstitious baggage. Also, so you claim that god is love, yet your argument is predicated on the belief that god will only give eternal bliss to those who worship/believe in him. This isn't love, it's megalomaniacal sadism. It means that god's love is conditional and contingent upon belief/devotion. Would you do this to your child. If you say yes then your a rather evil person, although if you say no then there is a fundamental flaw in your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
 
701 posts, read 658,705 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I assume you are talking about atheists, although atheists don't hate god. They merely do not accept the belief in invisible friends and they are not attached to sin. Most atheists live happy moral lives without the need for superstitious baggage. Also, so you claim that god is love, yet your argument is predicated on the belief that god will only give eternal bliss to those who worship/believe in him. This isn't love, it's megalomaniacal sadism. It means that god's love is conditional and contingent upon belief/devotion. Would you do this to your child. If you say yes then your a rather evil person, although if you say no then there is a fundamental flaw in your argument.
His LOVE is unconditional. Being allowed into His kingdom on the other hand is not. the only ones allowed in are those that want to be there. You don't don't even believe such a kingdom exists, so clearly you don't want to be there. Did you read my earlier post regarding hell? Much of Christianity has distorted what the Bible truly says about hell. If you truly live a life as you say that is morally good and upright according to your standards, than all you will miss out on will be that which you refused to believe existed. will you burn in an eternal torment for as long as the righteous exist in their bliss? No. The Bible makes clear that hellfire is temporary and only lasts long enough to consume sin/sinners in their entirety. The more heinous the sinner the longer it will take to consume them. Like I said some will go up like flash paper and others will burn like steel. None of this says that God does not love you. If a police officer has to arrest his son for being a drug dealer and murderer, does it mean he doesn't love his son? No. But his son made a series of choices and rejected all his father tried to teach him and in the end the officer had to watch his son suffer the death penalty. He still loved him but the son made his choice. Could he have let the son go? Sure, but that then only jeopardizes the lives of his other kids who have always followed their father.

let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking, of course, what would you expect God to do if you are wrong and He does exist and you have chosen not to believe in Him or His law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,709,794 times
Reputation: 3975
would God punish His children forever

Just as surely as Pecos Bill is gonna hogtie them and drag them through the Rio Grande for the next four thousand years. When you are dealing with mythological characters almost anything is possible. Reality is a bit different. Not as colorful and doesn't rely on mythological characters to step in and save the day. Oh yeah, on the little quiz, my answer is none of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top