Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would God punish His children forever
definitely 9 24.32%
never in an eternity would He 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
The 10 commandments still apply and I don't recall a single one that says I have to beat my child. now just to be clear I got spankings when I was a kid and God know's I deserved it, heck one time my behind was literally black/blue, but I always knew my parents loved me. There is a huge difference in abuse and discipline. BTW - could you please cite the text saying I'm instructed to abuse my children.

I'm sorry if you hear from believers that you are going to burn for your disbelief. I personally feel that there will be many people that, while fire will be the means by which they are destroyed, they will not experience any physical pain. They will just experience the realization that they were very wrong and therefore missed out on the greater treasure that was available to them, then they will simply cease to exist, which if i'm not mistaken is what you believe happens to you when you die anyway right?
I'm not talking about spanking. I know there's a difference between abuse and disipline. Here are the verses:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Exodus 21:15,17

According to Mathew 5:17-20, the OT did not go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 AM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I'm not talking about spanking. I know there's a difference between abuse and disipline. Here are the verses:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Exodus 21:15,17

According to Mathew 5:17-20, the OT did not go away.
Don't have time to get into it in depth right this second but both those text are Clearly dealing with adult children, and not speaking from a disciplinary position. These texts do not condone random beating of a defenseless child. In the first text the son is evil, and in the second one he has hit his parents. I know that in the early days of the Israelites God dealt very sternly with his people. A lot of the early Hebrew civil law specific to the times, hence the reason it was only written on paper and placed next to the Ark of the Covenant, however the 10 commandment law was written in stone by the very finger of God, for He knew that would never change and was applicable to all time.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times
Quote:
The 10 commandments still apply and I don't recall a single one that says I have to beat my child. now just to be clear I got spankings when I was a kid and God know's I deserved it, heck one time my behind was literally black/blue, but I always knew my parents loved me. There is a huge difference in abuse and discipline. BTW - could you please cite the text saying I'm instructed to abuse my children.

I'm sorry if you hear from believers that you are going to burn for your disbelief. I personally feel that there will be many people that, while fire will be the means by which they are destroyed, they will not experience any physical pain. They will just experience the realization that they were very wrong and therefore missed out on the greater treasure that was available to them, then they will simply cease to exist, which if i'm not mistaken is what you believe happens to you when you die anyway right?
your right there is a big difference between abuse and discipline

discipline=karma=we get what we deserve=we learn from our actions

abuse=eternal hell

Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Do we, as free will beings, have the right to choose non-existance? God loves us and created us, but He never asked us if we wanted to exist in His universe, so the only way we will truly exist here by choice, is if we have the choice to no longer exist. Unfortunately there are people who would rather cease to exist, than live in God's universe. Satan was the first to make that choice and ever since he did he has been trying get others onboard with his idea. Once again, God does love us all, but He cannot force any of us to love Him.

When Adam and Eve sinned God told them that Christ would come, and he instituted the sacrificial system which was a sign of what Christ would do on the cross of Calvary. You see from Adam to Christ people expressed their faith in Christ, that he would come, and from Christ to the present, people express their faith that He has come.

America is not the only place where religious freedom exists. what I was pointing out was that God knows what opportunity you had to know truth. God is not going to hold someone accountable for something they never had the opportunity to know, but He will know their heart, and how they lived their life, according to the knowledge they had. God knows how they would have responded, to the message of His Son, had they had the opportunity to hear that message. He will know this based on how they lived their life within the society they were confined to.

With regards to children, I know that God is Just and his decisions on each child will reflect that.

Please let me know if I have failed to address anything else.
what im tryin to say is that if this one life is going to determine whether we live in bliss forever or live in hell or be annhialated then wouldnt God give us all the same chance-would He bother putting people here as hindus or bhuddists or anything apart from that which gets you into heaven-if He realy wants everyone to go to heaven then everyone will go to heaven,for Gods will must and will be done,if He sent someone here to be a hindu then He would only be tricking them into a false life that they are not going to know any difference about-if they are brought up a hindu then its a 99.999% chance that they will die a hindu-why would God leave such a small % of a chance for them to be saved bye some other faith that they would probly never hear about-if you say then that they dont hear about the bible and God will judge them on their charachter then wouldnt it be better that none of us hear about it and thus be judged on our charachter.

if your saying that Gods just decision on kids will be that they all get to heaven-after all they are only kids-then wouldnt it be better for us all to die as kids and get the best result in the after life-if this were true i'd kill me own kids now and gaurantee them a place in heaven rather than them growing up and make a decision that could ultimately end their existance or worse suffer for eternity

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You used to be a Christian? What do you mean by that? Whay made you a Christian?

My best work is as "filthy rags" to God, meaning I can never be considered righteous by anything I do. Only my belief in & acceptance of Jesus' redemptive work on the cross makes me righteous before God. At Judgment Day, I can face God with confidence.

see above. reverend111 speaks heresy. She does not believe Jesus was God, & further does not believe Jesus came to give His life for us. The latter is the basis for Christianity.

A true believer is a "new creation", & no longer ruled by the sinful nature. Christians still sin (hopefully much less) because we are still "in the flesh". However, the Christian life should be characterized by the pursuit of righteousness. The Bible refers to this as "fruits of the Spirit".

Everyone has a choice to accept or reject Jesus.
i used to be a christian just like you ,was brought up into it at a young age from about 10-18,started questioning the whole eternal hell thing ,wasnt easy when you fear the very thing you questioning-God.
but due to His causless mercy He showed me that their was no eternal hell,its hard for me to explain to you how and my knowledge and wisdom has only grown since-after all its only common sense really.

although i dont agree on everthing reverend has to say,she does speek alot of sense i think she understrands devine love better than you imo

although im not a christian anymore dosent mean that i dont beleive or accept jesus for who He is i just dont know enough about Him-o.k He was the son of God but He never claimed to be the Father, do you know who he's father is-i just dont think the bible has enough information on Him there is alot of His life missing from the bible and the bibles been changed over the years and even whole books are ment to be deleted from it.

all of your posts just seem to be your interpretations of the bible can you not actually tell us what you think do you have to turn to the bible everytime your asked to awnser something-most of the atheists have a better vision of what God should be like than ,well lets say anybody who beleives in eternal hell,because if you beleive in eternal hell then you are taking away from Gods good nature-His mercy,commpasion,tolerance and most importantly His Love-its only common sense

Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
And you are obviously ignorant of Scripture. Jesus preached love AND judgment.
did he say youl be judged on your beleifs or judged on your actions

"you rep what you sow"

Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
A "professed" Christian who continues in sin is not a Christian at all. Read James 2.
so a christian that sins is not realy a christian?

what do you mean bye professed?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
so a christian that sins is not realy a christian?
A person who says they are a Christian, but continues to sin purposefully, probably never had a conversion experience. Salvation should produce a "new creation".

Quote:
what do you mean bye professed?
Matthew 7

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
did he say youl be judged on your beleifs or judged on your actions

"you rep what you sow"
John 3

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
John 3

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
again with the bible quotes-its whatever way you want to interpret that

can i ask you in your own opinion -what do you think it should be-would you send anybody to an eternity in hell-if your awnser is yes-then you are worse than Hitler-at least Hitler ended the suffering he caused,and what i mean bye that is that he killed them-put them out of their misery sooner or later
if your awnser is no-then you join probly the majority of people who would show commpassion are you saying that God is incapable of such commpassion,tolerance and mercy.

you have completely missed the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality