U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM

354 posts, read 678,148 times

Advertisements

science isn't perfect either. true, their discoveries make our world a better place. they dont have answer for everything. what is the benefit of aging to our evolution? why do we have to die? how did we learn to speak? and diff accents and languages at that? why is our planet the one that cultivated life?

the evolution of life as science presents it is for me JUST discoveries, explanations of how things happened. i dont know if you realize but, with or without science, our bodies functions and DNA and gene mutations has always been there. before galileo's discovery of a round earth, it has always been round, galileo didn't make it round.... the difference is: during that time ALL people believe we walk on flat earth. that fact has always proved to me there is a God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM

433 posts, read 515,292 times
What is the logic of everything has always been there to God (the one who used man's rib to create a woman)is always there?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,170,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
What is the logic of everything has always been there to God (the one who used man's rib to create a woman)is always there?

I've always found that part of the myth to be more than little suggestive.

I mean, man is bored. He falls asleep. He wakes up with a bone missing and a hot babe next to him. Yeah.

And then she feeds him forbidden fruit after conversing with the talking serpent.

Hmm.

I'll be in my bunk.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM

354 posts, read 678,148 times
the same logic on why must we die? to name a few.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,834,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
The topic brought up here maybe one the fundamental differences in debates between theists and atheists.

Theists propose a "God", but refuse to provide any evidence. Instead, theists ask atheists to find evidence to reject theist's proposal.
The "evidence" of God's existence is all around us, in nature itself.

If some of the individuals here--including atheists, agnostics, buddhists, and pagans--who despise monotheism so much would spend a little time studying the thinking of Christian intellectuals, both current and throughout history, they might actually learn enough to converse with Christians here with civility, thoughtfulness, and respect.

I have been listening a lot lately to William Lane Craig. His lectures are free--he covers every topic under the sun as it relates to Christianity--and I suspect his IQ far exceeds that of anyone--Christian, Atheist, or otherwise--who posts regularly at the CD religion forum.

Reasonable Faith: Defenders and Reasonable Faith Podcasts

To all my fellow orthodox Christians at CD -- a very happy Easter to you.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM

"Evidence is everywhere" is not a statement evidence.

Show an evidence of God. Then we can discuss about your intellectuals.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
"Evidence is everywhere" is not a statement evidence.

Show an evidence of God. Then we can discuss about your intellectuals.
I'm not interested in dialoguing about this subject. The lack of civility in this forum has taken all the joy out of it for me.

I provided the links to the lectures so anyone genuinely interested in the question from a Christian perspsective could find an excellent source from which to learn.

If you are one of those, have a listen to some of Dr. Craig's lectures if you want to know more.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:47 PM

This is not a church -- it's a public forum, a
place where your God meets skepticism.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
This is not a church -- it's a public forum, a
place where your God meets skepticism.
Where did I say CD was a "church"? Stop putting words in my mouth please.

If you go to Dr. Craig's site, you will find it is a place where "skepticism meets intellect and faith."

Perhaps the fact that the latter two can coexist is frightening for some people to contemplate.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,177,220 times
I think an irrational structures would be; science works with physical reality, therefore, it is at home in mystical things; God is a turtle, therefore he has wings; 2 plus 2 is 9; art is the process of studying the ocean; it has been this way always, so it will always be this way; Hollywood always makes great movies; men have beards, that goat has a beard, so that goat is a man; a=b=c, so c=a:true, now place contradicting "real" things in the variables.

Supporting evidence is in theology for the woman from a rib-its not science its theology (a rational process, or are we saying there is nothing coherent in that discipline? Are we saying all the structures put out in such a logical fashion, especially in the past (like Anselm) are totally irrational? What about economics, law, etc). Theology deals with parable, metaphor, alliteration, word meanings, etc-to take a statement about the formation of woman and take it into science and say, hey this can't be, is as dumb or empty headed as a JW saying the trinity doctrine is irrational and bases this merely on numbers without understanding the doctrine (there may be a time when one must accept the "fact" we are monkey sperm, who knows, but to disprove god, one has to do that in theology, as that is where the tools are, or one can just not bother with the study and make the pronouncement from one's mega knowledge-I personally ignore lots of things as one does not have time. Theology is to sweep up the messes in theology, the irrational stuff, science is not good here. When men thought the sun went around the earth it was as plain as what they saw (they even built their social structures on the idea), science had to show that was error, by its structures not those of theology (but, there was a large rational structure for the old view, as well as a rational social structure put in place), and science has to house keep science as well-theology, or the law, has little to do there.

Show evidence then that men rose from slime, I mean physical evidence, not evidence from a rational structure then (that leaves out science and biology), if that is the way this must go; then go out and get the "things", the "stuff", and merely present it (but no, one presents arguments and interpretations, just like everyone else), go into the future and bring back the calender from 2013, but then also by-pass one's thoughts as the minute you think, you form structure; both good and bad structures depending on the quality of your thought-or does one think without thinking, does one think one is one with the objects outside of the mind and like a god has direct and unmediated access to these things. All structures are not true to "reality" or to the pure concept in mind (both however are in the mind and the various disciplines are to regulate these), but the form of the argument can be correct but error. Pure mental concepts do not have "real" things to deal with but..........I give up here, I wrote this already-I guess one should just stomp through the world announcing what is rational or not from one's view point and require all the thinking of from one's opponents but not from oneself-one is after all an absolute authority nowadays-everyone else is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality