U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652

Advertisements

It is time for the laity to reclaim our proper role in the governance and guidance of the Catholic Church.

Press Release - VOTF SAYS ITS TIME TO REBUILD OUR CHURCH | VOICE OF THE FAITHFUL

 
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,549,732 times
Reputation: 4370
I think this is about the last straw for me and the RCC. I don't think I can raise my 2 boys in this church with a good conscience. Unfortunately, one of my sons is receiving first communion in just over a month....I'm torn, but don't think I will pull out until after that is done.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,169,109 times
Reputation: 1973
Mankind will never be free until the last politician is hung by the entrails of the last priest.

~Denis Diderot
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think this is about the last straw for me and the RCC. I don't think I can raise my 2 boys in this church with a good conscience. Unfortunately, one of my sons is receiving first communion in just over a month....I'm torn, but don't think I will pull out until after that is done.
Or you can stay and join with those that seek change in OUR Church
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,549,732 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Or you can stay and join with those that seek change in OUR Church
True...but that is near impossible with the Catholic hierarcy...short of storming the Vatican with pitchforks and torches and overthrowing the Pope. Unfortunately, it seems in the RCC its the hierarchy's way or the highway! Its not like the abuse scandal is anything new, but its disheartening, to say the least, that the Pope could have had a hand in the coverups.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
True...but that is near impossible with the Catholic hierarcy...short of storming the Vatican with pitchforks and torches and overthrowing the Pope. Unfortunately, it seems in the RCC its the hierarchy's way or the highway! Its not like the abuse scandal is anything new, but its disheartening, to say the least, that the Pope could have had a hand in the coverups.
As you say “near impossible” but not impossible
I guess it all comes down to how much does being a Catholic matter to you.
John XXIII laid the ground work in a speech he gave on January 25, 1959 when he announced that he was calling a world council (Vatican II)
He used the word Aggiornamento which literally means “bringing up to date”
Although the Church has been in retreat from Vatican II since John Paul II, there has been no other time in recent history that the word John XXIII used “Aggiornamento” was more important.
He also said “the moment has come to discern the signs of the times, to seize the opportunity and to look far ahead.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,169,109 times
Reputation: 1973
I don't think I can write anything further in this thread without risking an infraction, so I'll just say that if this level of "outrage" is representative of the Catholic community as a whole in response to pervasive protection of child rapists, I'm, disappointed.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,923,388 times
Reputation: 6876
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I don't think I can write anything further in this thread without risking an infraction, so I'll just say that if this level of "outrage" is representative of the Catholic community as a whole in response to pervasive protection of child rapists, I'm, disappointed.
The catholic church has always been a disappointment. The history of their popes reveals many abuses of people. Now the child rapists. Not bad enough... the church provided protection for the rapists.
I lived in Germany during the time that Ratzinger was cardinal. He had the reputation as very much to the right and ruling with an iron fist. I wonder why catholics take their popes seriously.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,409,422 times
Reputation: 5442
I've always felt that the shortage of priests and the fact that a very high percentage of Catholic priests who are gay and closeted could be corrected by two things. First, allow priests to get married which would attract heterosexual men to the priesthood. And second, allow women to become priests. It's true that both of these ideas would be a reversal of long standing traditions but I don't believe that either one of them would be contrary to the fundamental teachings of that particular faith. Just because they've been doing it the same way for centuries doesn't mean that improvements couldn't be made which would actually be very helpful to the church and greatly improve their public image.
 
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652
[quote=Visvaldis;13468280]The catholic church has always been a disappointment. [/abusesQUOTE]

Well we have been very disappointed with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top