U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,511,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If I love to live the life of living in a nice luxurious mansion, driving lots of nice expensive sports cars, driving lots of nice expensive luxury cars, travelling to many new places all the time, dining out at my favorite restaurants, listening to my favorite music, owning lots of nice clothes, having lots of cool friends, owning a cabin in the mountains, riding on boats and water skis at the wide rivers, riding on 4 wheelers, going to plenty of rock concerts and professional sporting events, meeting lots of famous celebrities going railfanning (watching the trains going by) will I love being in the Kingdom of Heaven and will my stay in the Kingdom of Heaven be much more enjoyable than living the life I've mentioned here on Earth?
Are you expecting the Kingdom of Heaven to be just like Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 PM

15,076 posts, read 7,574,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If I love to live the life of living in a nice luxurious mansion, driving lots of nice expensive sports cars, driving lots of nice expensive luxury cars, travelling to many new places all the time, dining out at my favorite restaurants, listening to my favorite music, owning lots of nice clothes, having lots of cool friends, owning a cabin in the mountains, riding on boats and water skis at the wide rivers, riding on 4 wheelers, going to plenty of rock concerts and professional sporting events, meeting lots of famous celebrities going railfanning (watching the trains going by) will I love being in the Kingdom of Heaven and will my stay in the Kingdom of Heaven be much more enjoyable than living the life I've mentioned here on Earth?

I have no knowledge, certain or otherwise, of what happens when we die and I'm not sure it's all that important to know. IMO, the bible's worth is in applying it's spiritual principles of Love (for that is what the bible says God is) to how you live in the here and now. And, as a Christian, you are hopefully aware that, biblically speaking, the "kingdom" is not referring to a place but to a "reign".

The bible says:

"The kingdom [reign] of God [love] is within you"

"For the kingdom [reign] of God [love] is ... righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit..."

The "kingdom" is an attitude that allows the Spirit of Love to reign over one's own life in such a way that brings peace and joy to oneself and to others.

Just my .02.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM

13,938 posts, read 9,688,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
The beauty of the heavenly realm and your private quarters there would outdazzle anything that humans can produce.

There might not be identical activities in heaven but there might be similar ones which might produce 1000 times more enjoyment and entertainment. You say you like to travel-perhaps you wil be given responsibilities involving plenty of inter-galactic travel. God does delegate.

Friendships are allowed in heaven. Your best friends there could be:
1. Fellow resurrected humans
2. Angels
3. God and Jesus

If indeed they exist, you might meet some cool righteous extraterrestrial or extradimensionals you might want as friends. Who knows?

Rides and ownerships? Who knows the wonders that are available there?
Perhaps you will develop a fondness for riding supernova blast waves?
Or some wild river on some paradise planet?
Or going inter dimensionally exploring?

What greater celebrity than God himself? Possibly heavenly musicians who make our human musicians pale in comparison. Watching trains? Perhaps you will develop a fondness at watching the kaleidescope patterns of light and other objects as they stream toward a black hole event horizon? Or have the power to artistically orchestrate things in pleasant visual patterns.
You didn't mention any hot young chicks that never say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Probably. Your experiences here on earth can't hold a candle to what you can expect in Heaven, and it's not going to involve sitting on a fluffy cloud playing a harp.
You seem to know a lot considering that you haven't ever been to this heaven of yours and no one has ever come back to tell us what it's like.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 PM

461 posts, read 494,946 times
It is interesting that when our ancient ancestors wrote about heaven, they simply looked up at the stars and thought that they were the abode of their gods.

Our ancestors even called their gods "from Heaven to Earth come down."

Heaven, in whatever form conceived, was always considered to be the best of the best in material terms. People would have new bodies (i.e., human or human-like bodies) and live in and on a perfect Earth. The powerful and aphrodaisic emotion of love, something that appears elusive here in this Earthly life, will permeate all things. Heaven is that idyllic realm where entropy finally brings all things to rest.

Despite our advances in technology and science, the appeal of a Heaven that will be a perfect mirror or representation of Earthly life is very strong. Perhaps it would be better stated that this Earthly existence is a poor facsimile of what Heaven is supposed to be like.

Consider this, however. Try to imagine what a one-dimensional being might believe regarding a two-dimensional object. Or a two-dimensional being trying to understand a three-dimensional object. In either case, these two beings would formulate the object in terms of their own understanding of their particular universes. And they would, most likely, be so far from the "truth" as to be uniquely funny. They would not be "wrong," as they are limited to their own constructs of imagination and scientific understandings.

Here, too, in understanding what Heaven might be like, we are limited to our own imaginations and the constructs we have built within our brains in order to cope with the "real world." No one is really wrong in believing that Heaven will be a perfect master copy of the Earth or that souls will be residing in a place reminiscent of non-malevolent gatherings of clouds while sporting wings and plucking harps all "day."

But then again, no one is going to be "right," either. Unfortunately, the lack of being "right" or "wrong" will be the impetus for "going to the mattresses" and fighting "to the death" over a concept that cannot be proven.

What might be nice would be something really imaginative, not the parroting of other people's ideas. Something really wild and crazy. Something so oddball and uber-supernatural that would transcend the apparent limitations our physical constructs box us into. Something that would be so out-of-the-box as to create a new paradigm.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM

3,386 posts, read 3,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post

What might be nice would be something really imaginative, not the parroting of other people's ideas. Something really wild and crazy. Something so oddball and uber-supernatural that would transcend the apparent limitations our physical constructs box us into. Something that would be so out-of-the-box as to create a new paradigm.
...a wonderfully intelligent and provocative post. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1,811 posts, read 928,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
...a wonderfully intelligent and provocative post. Thanks!
HuH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality