U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Oh, good remarks Honuman! I don't know if everyone could eventually become wealthy. I would think not, since a lot of people can't seem to manage their money no matter what. There would also be at
least some population turnover from people that refused immortality, accidental deaths, and people that killed themselves for whatever reason.

I do agree that there would be a lot of potential for boredom. I think we'd see a renewed push to get off the planet, because if one is effectively immortal then long-term space travel would not have the same
issues it does now. Hell, I would probably volunteer to be a settler on another planet if I had that opportunity! And I agree with you about careers. I would certainly want to experience several. For instance I would go to both medical school and law school.

I would gladly accept immortality, as long as I had the opportunity to die if I chose to do so.
If you think boredom might be a problem with a whole planet to get your freak off on then what do you think a decades long trip in a subluminal starship might be like. I think people would largely stay on earth but the levels of depravity and decadence would markedly increase.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM

680 posts, read 1,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If you think boredom might be a problem with a whole planet to get your freak off on then what do you think a decades long trip in a subluminal starship might be like.
Yikes --- that sounds like a good definition of hell. But the predictions about long-term space travel always seem to include suspended animation, so it would be kind of like having a decades-long colonoscopy (for instance )
Quote:
I think people would largely stay on earth but the levels of depravity and decadence would markedly increase.
Can you explain why you think this? I don't get it.

To me, it would be the opposite because we would have more time to learn about and experience the consequences of decadence and depravity.

I would expect self-indulgence to be extremely high in the event that an asteroid was hurdling toward earth and we were certain that we only had a couple weeks to live. Then we could indulge our most depraved fantasies without worrying about long-term consequences, except for those who believe in consequences being experienced in an afterlife or reincarnation.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Yikes --- that sounds like a good definition of hell. But the predictions about long-term space travel always seem to include suspended animation, so it would be kind of like having a decades-long colonoscopy (for instance )Can you explain why you think this? I don't get it.

To me, it would be the opposite because we would have more time to learn about and experience the consequences of decadence and depravity.

I would expect self-indulgence to be extremely high in the event that an asteroid was hurdling toward earth and we were certain that we only had a couple weeks to live. Then we could indulge our most depraved fantasies without worrying about long-term consequences, except for those who believe in consequences being experienced in an afterlife or reincarnation.
Precisely my point. Suspended animation will be waived for those crew with immortality already conferred, or so the poster I was debating posits. This means they have to make the trip wide awake the whole time... ..."warning, warning, airlock override, decompression imminent, warning, warning, air..." Also, since when has knowledge of consequences served to limit behavior? Trust me, when the first Century goes by without too much fuss expect to see, or hear, about not so secret societies where 'anything goes' will seem a rather quaint expression. "Mortals dare not, but you can, lets boogie!" Hedonism XXX coming to a retirement village near you.

H

Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM

310 posts, read 488,196 times
Quote:
Precisely my point. Suspended animation will be waived for those crew with immortality already conferred, or so the poster I was debating posits.

H
I said no such thing. Read it again and actually pay attention this time.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

[quote=Balvenie;13507008 I think we'd see a renewed push to get off the planet, because if one is effectively immortal then long-term space travel would not have the same
issues it does now.[/quote]

Is this what you said, or isn't it? No need to be angry or snide, we're just having fun here. What does that sentence mean then? If one is going to be frozen for the duration of a long sub-light trip what freaking difference does it make if one is immortal or not? Who is it that needs to pay attention?

H

Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM

310 posts, read 488,196 times
Quote:
Is this what you said, or isn't it? No need to be angry or snide, we're just having fun here. What does that sentence mean then? If one is going to be frozen for the duration of a long sub-light trip what freaking difference does it make if one is immortal or not? Who is it that needs to pay attention?

H
I dislike having words put in my mouth, or being paraphrased. Plus I did not specify whether or not a trip would be sub or superluminal. And, I did not say anything about them sleeping through the trip or being awake because it wouldn't really matter that much.

What I WAS implying was the effects of relativity. If you essentially have an unlimited lifespan, you could travel to our neighboring stars or farther without knowing that you'd come back to everyone you know being dead. So it takes you fifty years, so what? Your family and friends would still be alive and essentially the same age when you got back. So sleeping or waking on the trip would not be much of a factor.

This is of course assuming that the tech existed for all this.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM

1,964 posts, read 5,652,787 times
It would undoubtably change notions of marriage, relationships between kids/grandkids etc. All of society would be vastly different- but somehow I feel one group would deem itself more worthy of near eternal life and start executing the less worthy- we are human afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality