U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 66,188 times

Advertisements

So...

What if God made man and women in his image and they lived in the garden of Eden? Why do we assume they looked like us of today?

What about Adam and Eve getting thrown from the garden of Eden, and they started procreating with the evolved 'man' at that time, so that their offspring resembled the "us" of today, with our arms, legs opposable thumbs and ect?

And the strongest survived, like Cain? Explains alot, huh? Better than incest if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,470,937 times
Hmmmmm, so are you saying that maybe god is actually a poo-flinging non-human primate and his adam and eve (also poo-flinging non-human primates) hybridized with humans (H. sapiens) already in existence?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,932,056 times
ooh eeh ooh aaah eeeh oooh aaah eeeh!-well if thats what you think we are then i might aswell speak the lingo ooh oooh aaah eeeeh!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,070,692 times
This is just too weird. I wouldn't even know where I would start a response.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM

680 posts, read 1,167,840 times
I'm with ovcatto. I think my prefrontal lobes just ruptured...

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,069,422 times
Default Even the chimps are embarrassed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
ooh eeh ooh aaah eeeh oooh aaah eeeh!-well if thats what you think we are then i might as well speak the lingo ooh oooh aaah eeeeh!
"are"? Now? Today? You think that's how it works? Oh wait.... yeah; I forgot: I've read your "insightful" thoughts on Evolution already....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is just too weird. I wouldn't even know where I would start a response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
I'm with ovcatto. I think my prefrontal lobes just ruptured...
Good protective response. Run. Be very much afraid. Contact may be fatal, like licking the corpse of someone who died of Ebola.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,602,544 times
While this particular idea makes very little sense to me, I think the general idea of fitting biblical beliefs around an evolutionary framework is fundamentally useful. Since no one is likely to volunteer that their beliefs are incorrect, it seems reasonable to find a way to make things compatible so that acceptance of scientific fact does not mean reneging on your religious beliefs.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,133,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionThis View Post
So...

What if God made man and women in his image and they lived in the garden of Eden? Why do we assume they looked like us of today?

What about Adam and Eve getting thrown from the garden of Eden, and they started procreating with the evolved 'man' at that time, so that their offspring resembled the "us" of today, with our arms, legs opposable thumbs and ect?

And the strongest survived, like Cain? Explains alot, huh? Better than incest if you ask me.
The only "image" we are of God is a soul image. The outside doesn't even matter. We could be apes, dogs, or horses as far as God is concerned. We are the only species that have souls that are the image of God.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
ooh eeh ooh aaah eeeh oooh aaah eeeh!-well if thats what you think we are then i might aswell speak the lingo ooh oooh aaah eeeeh!
Or, everyone can just sing along...

Weeeeee've
Got a gorilla for sale
Magilla Gorilla for sale...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,069,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
While this particular idea makes very little sense to me, I think the general idea of fitting biblical beliefs around an evolutionary framework is fundamentally useful. Since no one is likely to volunteer that their beliefs are incorrect, it seems reasonable to find a way to make things compatible so that acceptance of scientific fact does not mean reneging on your religious beliefs.
Agreed, but only sort-of. Because in the end, the degree that scientific investigation has veered so far away from the biblical version strongly suggests that the entirety of the bible is but a fable-based fantasy, originally authored by illiterate goatherds who marveled at most everything. Meteorites, floods, lightning bolts, a butterfly. All "The wonderful hand of God!" Or Allah. Or buddha. Or Zeus... Or.... or....

So why labor under some modified delusion that this is "partly" associated with, or beholden to, a God when all the evidence sorta completely excuses Him from the room?

Frankly, I'd rather have the intellectual freedom to let my mind wander anywhere it chooses to go, free of fear of retribution from God, or worse: condemnation from my fellow citizens within the community. Like in the old days, when blasphemy could get you stoned in the public square. No wonder Darwin initially kept his brilliant ideas to himself, huh?

But, if a modified, partially accurate concept of god as a scientist, now using established and observable laws of nature for a change, floats your boat, then I'd say go for it. Heck; it may lead to an eventual and complete disassociation from the mystical, magic-required part!

Freedom at last! Huzzah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality