U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,458,797 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some things suggesting Jesus believed and taught reincarnation. The theory goes that suggestions of reincarnation were removed from the gospels much later by the early Catholic church with the devious intent of using the church as a large scale social control device, which was much easier to achieve if the people believed they only had one shot at life and were in imminent danger of going to hell.

Here's a summary of the supposed evidence:
VNN Editorial - Jesus And Reincarnation

Of course, this could be just another case of people seeing what they want to see in their own interpretations of scripture.

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I have been reading some things suggesting Jesus believed and taught reincarnation. The theory goes that suggestions of reincarnation were removed from the gospels much later by the early Catholic church with the devious intent of using the church as a large scale social control device, which was much easier to achieve if the people believed they only had one shot at life and were in imminent danger of going to hell.

Here's a summary of the supposed evidence:
VNN Editorial - Jesus And Reincarnation

Of course, this could be just another case of people seeing what they want to see in their own interpretations of scripture.

What do y'all think?
im glad you brought this up-ive read a few things that suggest the same and considering the fact that Jesus spent alot of time in India it could very well be possible that He did teach this concept

their are a couple of verses still left in the bible that could be pointing to reincarnation
for one reincarnation and karma are directly linked so when Jesus said"you reap what you sow" He was definitly talking about karma
and second when He said"He who is first in this world, will be last in the next-and he who is last will be first"-sounds like reincarnation to me
im no bible expert so i dont know exactly where its written but i remember them.and i think there are some other references to king solomon returning as someone else or something-as i said i put my hands up im no expert.

but i think it was constantine who had these teachings removed to keep the people under control and in fear.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
im glad you brought this up-ive read a few things that suggest the same and considering the fact that Jesus spent alot of time in India it could very well be possible that He did teach this concept

their are a couple of verses still left in the bible that could be pointing to reincarnation
for one reincarnation and karma are directly linked so when Jesus said"you reap what you sow" He was definitly talking about karma
and second when He said"He who is first in this world, will be last in the next-and he who is last will be first"-sounds like reincarnation to me
im no bible expert so i dont know exactly where its written but i remember them.and i think there are some other references to king solomon returning as someone else or something-as i said i put my hands up im no expert.

but i think it was constantine who had these teachings removed to keep the people under control and in fear.
Woa.... wait a second! Jesus in India?! Where does that come from?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Woa.... wait a second! Jesus in India?! Where does that come from?
yeah-hers one link that i found but theres many more-but the interesting thing mentioned about a third of the way down was that Jesus birth was predicted in the vedas 3000 years before He was born.

Jesus Went To India

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
yeah-hers one link that i found but theres many more-but the interesting thing mentioned about a third of the way down was that Jesus birth was predicted in the vedas 3000 years before He was born.

Jesus Went To India

Interesting, and not necessarily impossible, though it seems a poor carpenter (Joseph) in Judea 2000 years ago would not likely have the means or a real reason to travel thousands of miles away with his young family in tow. Still, stranger things have happened.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM

680 posts, read 1,167,696 times
I've learned of a number of sources alleging that Jesus traveled to India during the years of his life that are missing from Biblical accounts. Some of the evidence comes from the places where he allegedly visited. Before and after this trip to the east, Jesus appears to have very different ways of teaching and behaving. For instance, it was before his (alleged) journey that he got violent with the money changers in the temple. Later on, he took a much more peaceful approach that is consistent with the Eastern mysticism/meditation he would have learned and practiced.

Of course we'll never know and people will believe whatever they want to believe about Jesus. We all project our own beliefs onto him according to what suits our personal interests, which is ironic considering what Jesus allegedly taught about self-involvement.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,309 times
All of you have made great points. One truth is, most certainly, that there has been much that has been extracted from the bible for many reasons. Perhaps to stray us from the definitive truths. What we do know is, that the devil has come to sway us from the truth. And because he is the great deceiver, he will do what he can to keep us from understanding. But I urge you as brothers and sisters in the God, that ye all seek full understanding. But foremost when doing so, continue to pray unto God, that he open us to understanding and that we be not led astray in our research. Remember this too, as you have heard, and I am paraphrasing, that he who seeks the truth, shall find it. It is worthy for us to seek understanding. If we do not seek understanding, then we are truly lost.

Thank you all for the helpful links, which were quite beneficial in my research. Keep seeking the truth. God be with you all.

Hulon E. Crayton II (Lonnie)

Moderator Edit: You can't post links to your own blog.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Removed link

Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM

138 posts, read 153,259 times
I once heard from a Biblical scholar that there is a passage that has not been stricken from the Bible, in which Jesus' statement is pretty much one that supports reincarnation. Unfortunately I don't know which passage it was! But the paraphrase is essentially: someone asked Jesus why helped a particular man (who was diseased, and Jesus cured him). Jesus responded that the person "might remember him from when he was called John the Baptist." He implied that the man in question was John the Baptist, reincarnated. Now, I might have these facts confused, as I believe Jesus met John the Baptist, and an adult man wouldn't have had time to get old enough, within Jesus' lifetime, to be the "new" John the Baptist. If anyone remembers this passage better than I, I'd appreciate reading it! If in fact it exists.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM

56 posts, read 78,600 times
If one reads Hebrew 9:27,man is to die once and then face judgement.

Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM

465 posts, read 450,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perwil3356 View Post
If one reads Hebrew 9:27,man is to die once and then face judgement.

Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
Yeah but we're talking about what Jesus taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality