Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by howmanyknow
Quote:
well we are gods of this earth
I am a simple man and not a god.
Man cannot live without nature, while gods often live in the illusion that they don't need their environment.
Man can only survive if he treats his environment (and not just his human neighbour) the same way that he himself needs to be treated.

What is intelligence?
Is man the most intelligent creature simply because he can build the atomb bomb?

Last edited by Tricky D; 02-20-2008 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,419 times
How clearly the Bible portrays the Devil as a real spirit person—an angel that became corrupt and dangerous! there is no real biblical proof that he needs God's permission. The very character of Satan proves that he disdains authority, and is not one who would truly seek permission. The ultimate reality is that God controls everything in the universe, including Satan, and that “in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).

Satan did not contest GOD's supremacy or his Creatorship. How could he, since he had been created by God? Satan did, however, challenge the way GOD was exercising his sovereignty. In the garden of Eden, Satan insinuated that God was depriving the first human couple of something to which they had a right and upon which their well-being depended. (Genesis 3:1-5) He succeeded in causing Adam and Eve to rebel against GOD's righteous sovereignty, bringing sin and death upon them and their descendants. (Genesis 3:6-19; Romans 5:12) Thus the Bible shows that Satan is the root cause of human suffering.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes he does. but he is devious on how he gets it.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM

23 posts, read 93,301 times
tricky d...you always seem to skirt around the issue..never answer anything directly or fully. you may use philosophical terms..but does that mean it is intelligent talk...? what if there is a God...lets say 50/50 chance..and there is a heaven and a hell 50/50 wouldnt you rather take the risk of looking at Gods word and what He has offered us, which is love! if it means you can avoid hell....if it exists...?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 PM

you are not just a simple man...you have a soul and a spirit...while the flesh will die ( a consequence of sin) your spirit is eternal...you choose the destination of your eternal spirit..

i doubt a simple man would be able to reach the moon, create works of art, do miraculous things...you , me and all mankind have the potential to achieve all these great things..and you deny yourself by claiming to be simple....

Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM

what do you believe....agnostic, atheist ?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 AM

Razzel, you say "God controls everything in the universe, "

...God is IN control, He does not simply control..He has given us free will to do as we please, given us dominion...while God has control as He is the Almighty, He handed over the control of the earth to humans. If God controlled everything, we would be His puppets, and that is not so

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by howmanyknow
Quote:
you are not just a simple man
Yes I am. I do not equate having a spirit or soul the same as being God. I do not believe that man is more important than other animals, simply because I consider man an animal.
The food chain is a circle so there can be no top of the food chain.

Quote:
what do you believe....agnostic, atheist ?
I am a follower of Jesus, but am not a Christian. I believe that God=Love but do not believe in an afterlife. It does not matter to me if Jesus is (historically) real or not, so it also doesn't matter to me if Jesus is THE son of God or God himself. Ghandi and Martin Luther King JR were heavily influenced by Jesus and to me these historical figures prove to me that Jesus' philosophy works, so the son of man Jesus could have been real.
I guess most theists call me an atheist and most atheists call me a theist (or agnostic) while I just call myself a follower of Jesus. I do not truly concern myself with the existence of God; I am satisfied with the knowledge that love exists, because I have been loved and I do love (some) people.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM

738 posts, read 1,884,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanyknow View Post
Razzel, you say "God controls everything in the universe, "

...God is IN control, He does not simply control..He has given us free will to do as we please, given us dominion...while God has control as He is the Almighty, He handed over the control of the earth to humans. If God controlled everything, we would be His puppets, and that is not so
"Universe"
Everything that exists, including the Earth, planets, stars, galaxies, and all that they contain; the entire cosmos.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM

54 posts, read 156,878 times
weatherologist:"Ok, here's a question that I thought of while reading through the "why does God battle Satan" thread. My husband has told me that Satan has to ask God's permission before he can tempt one of God's children. (That may not be exactly how he put it.) I am so very biblically illiterate! So, all you Bible scholars out there, help me out with this one. I also remember shortly after he had told me this, we were at "The Rock and the Rabbi" and I remember Jesus saying to Peter that Satan had "asked his permission" to sift him like wheat. I remember at the time connecting the two thoughts, but I guess I never thought about it again until now."

Also, if Satan does in fact require God's permission before he can do evil, why would God ever grant him permission?[/quote]

The statement in bold is in reference to Luke 22:31 where Jesus is telling Peter that Satan desires Peter, such as " He's coming for you", and that Jesus will pray that Peter's faith will not fail. I don't take this as asking permission and I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where it explicity states that Satan must have God's permission for anything. If one believes the idea that man has the free will to commit evil then you must concede that a being that was once amongst the highest of angels also has free will to commit evil as angels have more power than mere mortals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality