U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
We are here for an experience in contrasts. It is but a tiny blip in infinity/eternity although it seems way too hard and long from this humans perspective.

Most believers see Creator/creation as separate - which is the skewed view from within the matrix. Once the knowledge of panENtheistic reality dawns in our minds the purpose (for this particular conscious existence) is seen to be suffering/fragility/desperation/fear contrasted against bliss/stability/peace/love.
i see what your saying,

-we are all here to either,suffer or enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:17 PM

79 posts, read 227,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Epicurus fails to note this:

God wants evil to exist for a time, and then He will abolish it. The riches we will receive by this experience of evil will far outweigh (infinitely) any suffering we go through on this earth.
See if someone who was a prisoner of war and tortured for years believes that.

Or a girl who was raped over and over for years.

The old person who falls ill and dies of starvation because no family is around.

If this God is merciful then none of those things would have ever happened. There for, since these things do happen there really isn't a God like the one depicted in the bible.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM

3,052 posts, read 3,130,782 times
Is this a real post? How can possibly anyone know as to when the earth was made, much less the universe? I mean come on really? I've heard from millions of years to billions of years ago. What does it matter? Really? Don't we have more pressing matters to deal with, like unemployment, welfare, on going wars, oil spilling onto our shores, etc. I guess someone was really bored themselves to post this.....

Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM

290 posts, read 332,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Is this a real post? How can possibly anyone know as to when the earth was made, much less the universe? I mean come on really? I've heard from millions of years to billions of years ago. What does it matter? Really? Don't we have more pressing matters to deal with, like unemployment, welfare, on going wars, oil spilling onto our shores, etc. I guess someone was really bored themselves to post this.....
Maybe you are in the wrong forum. There are others that deal with more concrete matters such as those you mention. A passion is never a bore.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

21,277 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
The Universe is somewhere between 12 and 14 billion years old, or10,000 years or less for those that follow Creationism (the age of the universe doesn't matter for the sake of this question).

God was not born and so had been doing his thing (presumably nothing, since nothing existed) in the middle of nowhere (since nothing existed), for ever. Then, Suddenly, God decided to Create a Universe.

What made him Suddenly Decide to make something? Wouldn't something have had to happen to inspire such a creation after so long doing nothing?
The Bible describes events starting at "the beginning." But "the beginning" is a relative statement. The beginning of what? Well, the beginning of what is relative to us. I don't know how someone who believed that this was the only universe God had ever created would answer your question. Since I believe He has created "worlds without number," I would have to say that He was very busy creating other worlds (not in our solar system, not even in our galaxy, but somewhere out there... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or