U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 AM

290 posts, read 333,216 times

Advertisements

The Universe is somewhere between 12 and 14 billion years old, or10,000 years or less for those that follow Creationism (the age of the universe doesn't matter for the sake of this question).

God was not born and so had been doing his thing (presumably nothing, since nothing existed) in the middle of nowhere (since nothing existed), for ever. Then, Suddenly, God decided to Create a Universe.

What made him Suddenly Decide to make something? Wouldn't something have had to happen to inspire such a creation after so long doing nothing?

Last edited by SpidrAkirE; 03-31-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:45 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,147,200 times
He was lonely.
He wanted to express Himself through Love so He created.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,918,900 times
She was bored.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM

290 posts, read 333,216 times
Quote:
He was lonely.

She was bored.
Well, yes. I've thought of that. Surely God can be neither lonely nor bored...?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM

13,938 posts, read 9,716,318 times
He was probably sat in nowhere, which is just beyond nothing and said to himself:-

Damn I'm bored! I know, I'll create a universe with a special planet that I shall call Earth. Then, I'll put some people on Earth and give them some rules..... just to see if they will obey me. OK yeah, I know they won't obey me 'cause I'm omniscient but I'll do it anyway. Then, they can have kids and all ...ahem, 'do it' with each other until there are billions of 'em. Then, when they make a mess of everything it will give me an excuse to kill them and all the animals I'm going to make for them. Yeah, I can see that it's all rather pointless because as I know exactly how it's all going to pan out I might as well not bother to create them all in the first place if I'm going to kill 'em all...but what the heck, should be fun to watch anyway. Wait a minute (thought). If I kill them all there won't be anyone left! Hmmmm! Yeah, I'll save a couple to start it all up again. I'll save someone who likes a drink and he can get so drunk that he falls asleep naked in his tent. Then I'll make his son find him naked and when he does, I'll have the old fella blame, not his son who saw him naked but his grandson...who won't even be there...Ha-ha-ha!! That'll be a laugh! Damn! I've just had a brilliant idea!!!!! I'll leave everything to go to pot for a thousand years and then..hehehe.... this will be brilliant....I'll put some Jewish gal in 'the club' and have myself born on Earth, then I'll do a few miracle here and there just to show the plebs how brilliant I am. Now here's the clincher. After about thirty years I will sacrifice myself to myself to appease myself for all the bad things that I planned to happen anyway. Brilliant!!

Well lets get started....where's that screwdriver?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,147,200 times
The myriads of planetary systems were all made to be eventually inhabited by many different types of intelligent creatures, beings who could know God, receive the divine affection, and love him in return. The universe of universes is the work of God and the dwelling place of his diverse creatures. God created the heavens and formed the earth; he established the universe and created this world not in vain; he formed it to be inhabited.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:42 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,936,958 times
this universe is only a perverted reflection of the spiritual universe
this universe is temporary where as the spiritual universe is eternal
each and every living soul that exists in all the material universes originate from the spiritual universe-
there was never nothing,but this universe was unmanifested at one stage then it is manifested and in time it will be unmanifested again(created-maintained-destroyed)
the reason why the temporary worlds were created is this-we wanted to become like God-He is the Supreme Enjoyer-all of life is there for His enjoyment-but we wanted to become the enjoyer and more importantly we wanted to enjoy life without God-our most basic instinct is to enjoy-that is the nature of the soul-it always wants to be happy-and our real happiness lies in serving God who is the centre of the whole universe-just as we put food in the centre of the body(the stomach)the whole body is served,so too when we serve God our whole being benefits-its a spiritual thing-our energy in its original state is the same energy as His(pure bliss)but we gave up our service and wanted to enjoy without Him so God created the material universes so we could live out our desires here.

its said that when we first enter the material universe we take on a more subtle form; unlike these gross material bodys,and take birth on one of the higher heavenly planets,this is because we are more pure and have not known sin yet,then after been in contact with material nature we start to desire material pleasures,due to this desire we accumulate karma and have to take birth on lower planets and gradually we end up as single celled organism's,then after a long long time we make our way up to the human form of life where we can aquire again about our real position as eternal spiritual beings.

in the material universe there are higher,middle and lower planetary systems,earth is in the middle-but even on the highest planet Brahmaloka where a day their is billions of earth years, their is birth ,old age,disease and death.all the material planets are temporary but the place where we originate from is an expanding universe where God exists on each and every planet in His personal forms,all the planets are self illuminating,and we are forever feeling bliss and its forever getting better-in time we all go back home back to Godhead.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,217,545 times
God wanted broadband access to the web.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,918,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
God wanted broadband access to the web.
that sounds reasonable.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,427,194 times
God is outside of time, so perhaps God wasn't sitting around forever until He decided to create the universe. Its hard (impossible maybe) for us to understand what it means to be outside of time.

The reason God made the universe is LOVE. God is LOVE, and when you are the very image of LOVE, what else would you do but make more of yourself, in your own image?

We aren't there yet, but when all is said and done, we will be in His image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or