Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 AM

354 posts, read 749,467 times

Advertisements

so where does it fit in science's evolution of man?

i googled this is what i found:

In fact, the origin of speech and language (along with the development of sex and reproduction) remains one of the most significant hurdles in evolutionary theory, even in the twenty-first century. In an effort “make the problem go away,” some evolutionists have chosen not to even address the problem.

source:

The Origin of Language and Communication

and yet you continue to deny God or a supreme being or ID. have fun.

so evolution of life is soo complex it does not even know how language began. genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
so where does it fit in science's evolution of man?

i googled this is what i found:

In fact, the origin of speech and language (along with the development of sex and reproduction) remains one of the most significant hurdles in evolutionary theory, even in the twenty-first century. In an effort “make the problem go away,” some evolutionists have chosen not to even address the problem.

source:

The Origin of Language and Communication

and yet you continue to deny God or a supreme being or ID. have fun.

so evolution of life is soo complex it does not even know how language began. genius.
You might want to try learning about the anthropological discipline of linguistics rather than simply accepting whatever some random creationist website says is true.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
What is confounding about language? It started simple and got more complex as time went on. Pre-human ancestors developed better and better communicative abilities from generation to generation when it proved to be a valuable asset to survival. As populations grew and spread out, their speech evolved and changed independent from each other over time. Fast forward 6 million years and here we are communicating across the world on the the internet in hundreds of different complex languages. It is all a completely logical, step by step evolutionary process.

Compare that with a bunch of idiots building a giant tower and annoying the great white bearded guy in the sky so he magically makes them all speak different languages as punishment?

Um, I'll stick with science on that one.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
I guess this would be amazing were it not for the fact that communication and more importantly speech are not the exclusive domain of humans.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What is confounding about language? It started simple and got more complex as time went on. Pre-human ancestors developed better and better communicative abilities from generation to generation when it proved to be a valuable asset to survival.

sure. it started simple and got more complex just like life as we know it. how illuminating.

oh man... is that a creationist website? i just googled and click on the first link. but what i quoted makes sense. i wonder if evolution of language is soo simple why didn't science focused on it? the way they focused on evolution of life? then i might believe their theory. on the second thought....

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
sure. it started simple and got more complex just like life as we know it. how illuminating.

oh man... is that a creationist website? i just googled and click on the first link. but what i quoted makes sense. i wonder if evolution of language is soo simple why didn't science focused on it? the way they focused on evolution of life? then i might believe their theory. on the second thought....
As I said before baket, study the discipline of linguistics, it's a whole discipline devoted to studying languages and the evolution of language.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Quote:

baket, I minored in linguistics in college, so I'm at least $10,000 qualified to say you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

There *is* scientific study of language, it is not a popular science, it is not glamorous, but it is vital in many ways. It is also highly tied to psychological and social evolution. The language we are exposed to as children is reflected in the physical connections of our brain, thus influencing our thoughts, and how those thoughts are communicated. The "evolution" of language is not evolution in the sense that you are using it, but rather a representation of social evolution, that is, how our human societies (not our bodies or DNA) are changing over time in reaction to our environment.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM

310 posts, read 589,346 times
Oh brother...baket if you're trying to imply that your god created language rather than it arising over time from man, how do you explain things like Esperanto, ASL, Elvish, Klingon, Interlingua, Lojban, etc?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

i guess i understand your explanation in that, a child born of asian heritage but is living in britain automatically adapts the language and even the accent! but they moved to france and lived there for good. and the kid will grow up not even remembering the english language and the brit accent is gone. i experienced it first hand with my nephews and nieces who were born here in the US, and spend just a month! in philippines and before they leave our country, they are speaking fluent tagalog. right now, most of them we can speak tagalog, they understand, but they dont speak it anymore.... some has totally forgotten it.

having said that, it still does not ANSWER where language came from, and different language and accent at that.

balvine are you serious with the elvish language? tolkien? honestly? there is a difference between consciously learning a language, inventing one and INSTINCTIVELY learning it.

in fact, as an experiment, i dont know if there will be a parent that will subject their kid though, well i hope the scientists' kids will: why dont they have a kid exposed to these made up languages that you enumerate above. no outside influence TOTAL exposure to these made up language and see how it goes.

Last edited by baket; 03-31-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What is confounding about language? It started simple and got more complex as time went on. Pre-human ancestors developed better and better communicative abilities from generation to generation when it proved to be a valuable asset to survival. As populations grew and spread out, their speech evolved and changed independent from each other over time. Fast forward 6 million years and here we are communicating across the world on the the internet in hundreds of different complex languages. It is all a completely logical, step by step evolutionary process.

Compare that with a bunch of idiots building a giant tower and annoying the great white bearded guy in the sky so he magically makes them all speak different languages as punishment?

Um, I'll stick with science on that one.
You speak Hebrew, all mingled up, since Babel.
We all speak Hebrew, the mother tongue of Eden, and it is all confounded since Babel, except for those who never lost it.
Language is a God invented, true science, which he programmed Adam for, from the beginning.

Animal Names 1 0f 3 - Isaac Mozeson

http://edenics.homestead.com/

http://edenics.homestead.com/files/E...troduction.pdf

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 03-31-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality