U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,572,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
hey im from IL too. im a girl though. so are you saying you gave in to your sexual urge? i envy you. coz i still can't. i have many factors: my belief, my family, stigma, emotionally, i also dont think i am ready to take that leap to my sexual discovery. i also have trust issues. i am pretty messed up that's why i am miserable. i do have one heterosexual crush when i was 10 and actually plan to name my kid after him, though i doubt i will have kids but oh well.

i honestly dont know how i went from this boy who made my heart literally skipped out of my body and run to him(well at least that is how i felt) to being really really attracted to girls and only girls. i am afraid my constant deprivation of giving in to my same sex attraction made me frigid and boring.

sometimes i hate how i have a really really good strong self control. although i know it is mainly rooted from fear and cowardice.

so ya i believe you choose that lifestyle. by letting go.
The crush you had at 10 years old was basically before you even developed sexually. You had an intense bond and a strong attraction to that person, and they made you feel good. I'm gay and male, but there are still multiple females I can list off in a heartbeat that I get really excited about every time I'm going to hang out with them. They're really fun, we get along, and I just feel good and like hanging out with them. That's not a sexual attraction though.

Your last line says it's a choice to be gay because you're choosing to let go. What are you letting go of though? Straight people aren't choosing to let anything go. They are attracted to men and women, and live their lives stress and guilt free as they naturally should. You aren't choosing to let go of anything. You're choosing to live your life the way people think you should based on what's "normal". For 90% of people there is no issue here. For you and I though, there is. We didn't pick this out and go with it - it was just there we grew up and you can choose how you're going to react.

You can ignore it and wish it away all you want, live your life how you're "suppose" to just to feel better in society and not rock the boat. It's not going away though. It would be like me living my life pretending I'm deaf. I can act the part, fool everyone, and possibly have a good life for myself. At the end of the day though I'm not deaf, and it's going to be something that's constantly there nagging and bothering me. Am I going to live my entire life listening to everyone around me, but not be able to at least once yell out I CAN HEAR YOU! It might be fine most of the time, but all those little times you just want to scream out are going to count up, one after another after another.

You are who you are. You can live however you want, but I'll tell you one thing - the minute I finally stopped worrying and trying to force myself to live straight - all that stress and deprivation melted away. I might be different than a lot of people, but I'm still me. I still have friends, a job, a life. I date, I go out to bars, I watch movies. I might be gay, but it's not like I sit around thinking about it anymore than my straight friends sit around dwelling on the fact that they're straight and not gay.

You shouldn't let your sexuality define you so much by pushing against it. You have to do what's right for you - but I'd hate this inner battle eat away so much that you don't get to enjoy your 75 or 80 years on this planet.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 03-31-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM

13,854 posts, read 9,651,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You are who you are. You can live however you want, but I'll tell you one thing - the minute I finally stopped worrying and trying to force myself to live straight - all that stress and deprivation melted away.
I have two very dear gay friends that say exactly the same thing.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...but god created homosexuals.

How does that work?
This is the circular merry-go-round [some] Christians cannot get off of. Their reasoning is, "if god [according to the bible] condemns homosexuality (as they interpret it) and will send homosexuals to hell, then it would the height of unfairness for god to create humans predisposed to a sin he despises."

As long as they keep running with that, believing their god is fair (despite biblical evidence to the contrary), they're not going anywhere mentally with this.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,334 times
if anyone tells you God's going to condemn you because of your sexuality then i'd be more worried about them than any gay.

from what i understand about the whole sexual/spiritual connection is this-our sexual desires are the strongest out of all our desires,their is nothing wrong with it as long as nobody is getting hurt,there are yogi's out there that give up the desire so they can focus more on their spiritual desires,its part of the purity process but can be extremely difficult and if not done the right way it can lead to problems-according to most scriptures sex is only ment for procreation anything else is only sense gratification-it does not mean that if you have sex you are evil but it can prevent you from making spiritual progress thats all-so anybody that is having sex thats not for procreation,which is basically 99.999% of the world, is "wrong",but not wrong if you know what i mean-sex is lovely,go out and have as much as it as you like,get it out of your head just dont hurt anyone in the process ad if any christian comes and says that what your doing is "wrong" then tell them that they are no different than anybody else even if they are married.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
if anyone tells you God's going to condemn you because of your sexuality then i'd be more worried about them than any gay.
Big props to you Dobeable! I would never have expected this from you. You make me proud.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,334 times
Quote:
Big props to you Dobeable! I would never have expected this from you. You make me proud.
i told yas all before-im no fundamentalist-im only looking for the truth

i think people have to stop looking at God as something that has to be feared and start looking at Him as a Person.thanks for your positive reply

Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,130,832 times
Quote:

How does that work?

Easy.

Because the Judeo/Christian/Muslim/theist god is nothing but a figment of the human imagination, and does not exist.

99.999% of the time, the simplest answer, is the correct answer.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM

381 posts, read 665,198 times
I'm always interested in topics like this because they are so combustible. first i am reminded I am not a judge so i will not judge you. if we can say in unison we love Jesus and we're sinners, then we see the wisdom of romans 3:23.."for all have sinned and fall short...." that is why we need a savior....pick your poison.... one man's sin may not be another..that's why Paul exhorts to bear one another's burdens... The role of the church in all this,which is on point, is to preach the gospel message and let god sort out this argument...if we all are humble, we'll find that we'll spend less time bashing those who are gay and rather walking in love with them...being salt and light... and loving them...Jesus loved all those who, his society then and ours today, are cast out or maligned.....

the biggest hypocracy is the military and their policy...would you care if a guy or gal saved you from a burning humvee and he later said, hey I'm gay..? I'd like to change an oft repeated quote to "there are no gay bashers in foxholes"

would it matter?...I think the ones who stand in the pulpit offering condemnation rather than the simplicity of the cross of Christ do God a disservice....Let God be God...".Love one another..by this I will know that you are my disciples..." quote by Jesus

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
I'm always interested in topics like this because they are so combustible. first i am reminded I am not a judge so i will not judge you. if we can say in unison we love Jesus and we're sinners, then we see the wisdom of romans 3:23.."for all have sinned and fall short...." that is why we need a savior....pick your poison.... one man's sin may not be another..that's why Paul exhorts to bear one another's burdens... The role of the church in all this,which is on point, is to preach the gospel message and let god sort out this argument...if we all are humble, we'll find that we'll spend less time bashing those who are gay and rather walking in love with them...being salt and light... and loving them...Jesus loved all those who, his society then and ours today, are cast out or maligned.....
Wow, Christians do exist.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 AM

17,853 posts, read 11,753,577 times
Quote:

How does that work?
Homosexuality is against God's Law? Really?

And here I was thinking it was just those handful of ancient Hebrew and Greek verses against those idolatrous sacred male temple prostitutes who used ritual sex practices in the local pagan Canaanite or Roman temples when worshipping the fertility gods -to make the wheat and crops more abundant. All the best pagan gods had them in those days.

But didn't that practice die out about 1800 years ago?

So what's the dilemma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality