Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

Given the noisy denials of the Facts and Laws of Evolution, which are based on the larger proven Theory of Evolution, I want to ask our interested and vocal Christian readers here to comment on this lone and simple topic:

MUTATION

Q: Does it even occur in living species? If so, where and perhaps, if you know but have never been given the stage to expound upon, how and/or why does it happen? And in which organ(s)?

And what might that mutation then produce over time?

A simple enough Question? I think so.

Go for it, oh yee of great informative knowledge. Tell us about Mutation. Where. When. How. Or if it's all a big lie! Chuck Darwin be damned, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
And all we hear are the sounds of crickets chirping. Presumably, crickets that aren't mutants.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
I am all for becoming a mutant if it's like in X-Men. It's probably best that it doesn't work that way as I would use my mutant powers for nefarious purposes in all likelihood.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Hey Rife, you might want to explain to them what a mutation is and whether you mean a germ line mutation or just a regular ole somatic cell mutation.
With that said, I often explain that and *still* get a goddunit response.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Mutation works. Huge dogs have now, through breeding, been bred down to teeny tea cup dogs. Without mutation this would not be possible.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Just read an article the other day where ten years ago doctors performed experiments on sperm/egg stuff. The children born from this experiment show signs of having multiple parents. They have no idea what this is going to do generations down the road. Some now exhibit forms of retardation.
Will these Genetically Modified Babies Alter Human Species?
Dozens of Genetically Modified Babies Already Born - How Will They Alter Human Species?

Genetic fingerprint tests on two one-year- old children confirm that they have inherited DNA from three adults—two women and one man."

Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Hey Rife, you might want to explain to them what a mutation is and whether you mean a germ line mutation or just a regular ole somatic cell mutation.
With that said, I often explain that and *still* get a goddunit response.
Germinal mutations affect gametes and are heritable somatic mutations do not and are not. Germinal mutations are seldom expressed in the progenitor just the offspring (unless it affects the production of gametes). Somatic mutations can only be cloned.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just read an article the other day where ten years ago doctors performed experiments on sperm/egg stuff. The children born from this experiment show signs of having multiple parents. They have no idea what this is going to do generations down the road. Some now exhibit forms of retardation.
Will these Genetically Modified Babies Alter Human Species?
Dozens of Genetically Modified Babies Already Born - How Will They Alter Human Species?

Genetic fingerprint tests on two one-year- old children confirm that they have inherited DNA from three adults—two women and one man."
Is there a source for this other than Dr. Mercola's quack website?

I found this which isn't quite what Mercola is saying
Three-Parent Children: Reality or Technicality? | Wired Science | Wired.com

Here's the abstract of the scientific paper
Mitochondria in human offspring derived from ooplasmic transplantation: Brief communication Human Reproduction, v.16, n.3, 513-516, Mar01

Quote:
The scientists tested the blood of two of the resulting children, who had reached 1 year old, using genetic fingerprinting techniques, and they found that the children had mitochondrial DNA from the donor egg.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
It's SO hard to not be a smart-ass on these posts! Really!

Unfortunately the first rule of teaching facts is the student must be willing to learn...and YE Creationists simply are NOT willing to look at anything that does not directly match their precious book word for word. It's frustrating!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedave22 View Post
I just like math.

Do you really find the time and need to post a comment, on average, more than 4 times every single day? Prolific, or obsessed?! Or both. Only you know.
In that case, I'm sure you can find a math-themed forum out there in internet land that is as perfectly dry and non-obsessive as you can get on the net!

Meanwhile I'm gonna work on upping my relatively crazy 4 post per day average to a moderately insane 5 posts just because it seems to bother you so much...

So do you, ya know... think? Do you have any opinions, thoughts, wisdom, foolery or any combination of them?

Or do you just troll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality