Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The biggest problem with people today, especially Christians, is that they think God should operate just like everything else in their lives.

It doesn't work this way,......
Why not?

And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son (John 14:13).

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you (John 15:7).

Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full (John 16:27).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I speak to my Heavenly Father silently and I hear His response all the time. One thing I do know with regard to prayers and healing, it is best to ask for the cause of the problem to be removed, and if it is at all possible to be done, it will be. Last week, I twisted my lower back and I could barely walk for a day while I was at work. When I got home, I had a prayer session in the evening and one in the morning and I asked for the cause of the pain to be removed and by noon, I was good as new and I didn't have to make an appointment with the chiropractor.
How fortunate for you that your loving, merciful, compassionate deity is more concerned with your bad back than he is with the thousands of children that die of hunger and thirst every day. Must make you feel pretty special huh ...to have your minor ailments cured by your loving deity whilst he watches idly as a child dies every minute. Quite frankly SCA, if I were you I'd be rather embarrassed to put a grinning smiley in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
I think it's very sad that people attribute the good things that happen in their lives to answered prayers. And as Rafius said, "How fortunate for you that your loving, merciful, compassionate deity is more concerned with your bad back than he is with the thousands of children that die of hunger and thirst every day."

It is also a fact that your god has NEVER answers the prayers of amputees, who pray fervently for the return of their limbs either....there is not one case where an amputee has had their limb regenerated even though Jesus repeatedly said if you ask for it in his name it would be so. It seems god cares about the little things in only some peoples lives and excludes others completely no matter how hard they pray...very sad.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I think it's very sad that people attribute the good things that happen in their lives to answered prayers. And as Rafius said, "How fortunate for you that your loving, merciful, compassionate deity is more concerned with your bad back than he is with the thousands of children that die of hunger and thirst every day."

It is also a fact that your god has NEVER answers the prayers of amputees, who pray fervently for the return of their limbs either....there is not one case where an amputee has had their limb regenerated even though Jesus repeatedly said if you ask for it in his name it would be so. It seems god cares about the little things in only some peoples lives and excludes others completely no matter how hard they pray...very sad.
Last night on the regular news a man in Bay St. Louis, MS when asked how they kept going after Katrina and the oil mess...said, "The Lord Will Take Care Of Us."

I immediately thought, "Looks Like He's Doing A Helluva Job...Brownie!"

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Last night on the regular news a man in Bay St. Louis, MS when asked how they kept going after Katrina and the oil mess...said, "The Lord Will Take Care Of Us."

I immediately thought, "Looks Like He's Doing A Helluva Job...Brownie!"
LOL....yes I often wonder how so many can keep spouting the same mantra given the tragedy that goes on in this world...most of which is caused directly by humanity. I would also really be interested in knowing how many just sit back and do nothing while waiting for "The Lord" to do his miracle work....my guess would be none.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I always pray for the health and safety and prosperity of my family. What this does is to let me off the hook of constant worry. I can give my worries and fears to God and trust that he will lift the burden from me. Christians are required to put their trust in the Lord in this way. I can see why many people cannot accept this way of thinking, but I am just grateful that it was instilled in me.

When the sick pray for healing, for example, we know that some will be healed and some will not. I don't think God is up there pulling names or those who will beat their illnesses and those who will not. The prayers are not going to cause the healing. If this were true then every devout person who prayed for healing would be healed. But the prayers are going to help lift the burden of worry from that person.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always pray for the health and safety and prosperity of my family. What this does is to let me off the hook of constant worry. I can give my worries and fears to God and trust that he will lift the burden from me. Christians are required to put their trust in the Lord in this way. I can see why many people cannot accept this way of thinking, but I am just grateful that it was instilled in me.

When the sick pray for healing, for example, we know that some will be healed and some will not. I don't think God is up there pulling names or those who will beat their illnesses and those who will not. The prayers are not going to cause the healing. If this were true then every devout person who prayed for healing would be healed. But the prayers are going to help lift the burden of worry from that person.
So I guess it's a no brainer that you believe in virgin birth, walking on water, healing leprosy by touching, turning water into fine wine, feeding 5000+ with two fish and five loaves, raising from the dead, resurrection etc. Basically all of the illusions and delusions imagined and written about 2000 years ago.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I have nothing against anyone who feels the need to say a mantra to make themselves feel better or as you say, to let you off the hook of constant worry. Hey if it feels go to you...have at it.

What I do have issues with is when tragedy happens it's treated as if it was something caused or allowed by god...gods will...which can sometimes cause great guilt and condemnation to those who are affected by such tragedies. To attribute millions of children starving to death each and every day in this world...innocent victims I might add...to the will of an allegedly loving, compasionate, merciful and personal god, as he is portrayed, is particularly assanine. Sick people who pray are not healed more so or less than those who don't (there have been acutal studies done on this), the ratio is the same. Attributing things that happen in the world, whether they be sickness, death, natural disasters, disaters caused by our own stupidity and wrecklessness, etc. as gods will for individuals or groups of people is just delusional mindless living....it's just life and life is filled with the good as well as the bad...why can't we just accept it for what it is

Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why not?

And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son (John 14:13).

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you (John 15:7).

Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full (John 16:27).

How fortunate for you that your loving, merciful, compassionate deity is more concerned with your bad back than he is with the thousands of children that die of hunger and thirst every day. Must make you feel pretty special huh ...to have your minor ailments cured by your loving deity whilst he watches idly as a child dies every minute. Quite frankly SCA, if I were you I'd be rather embarrassed to put a grinning smiley in your post.
Well, and what are you doing to help alleviate these people's sufferings? Have you sent money or done any volunteer work to aid them? Or do you just like complaining about it. Recently, I was involved in a day long festival and I invited the organization Help the Children to participate, which they did. They had a food drive not only for the local residents but also the people in Haiti. I have donated several times for relief efforts all over the world for some kind of disaster or other. Hopefully, you are doing the same.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, and what are you doing to help alleviate these people's sufferings? Have you sent money or done any volunteer work to aid them? Or do you just like complaining about it. Recently, I was involved in a day long festival and I invited the organization Help the Children to participate, which they did. They had a food drive not only for the local residents but also the people in Haiti. I have donated several times for relief efforts all over the world for some kind of disaster or other. Hopefully, you are doing the same.
I give my money to:

1) Organizations which have little overhead and manage to get above 80% to those for whom it is intended

2) Organizations which do not have to pay a preacher and provide his living quarters and travel expenses

3) Organizations which do not buy expensive sound systems, musical instruments, oak or mahagony pews, stained glass windows, tall steeples, etc.

If the churches all over the world would sell their real property and stop all the social BS the hungry could be fed and the naked could be clothed.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
If the churches all over the world would sell their real property and stop all the social BS the hungry could be fed and the naked could be clothed.
But then where would all the little christians go to be entertained on Sunday morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality