Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM

292 posts, read 543,929 times

Advertisements

Last night, I was watching the History Channel about the possible location for the Garden of Eden. The Bible states that Eden was located at where the four rivers meet which are Euphrates and Tigris Rivers and Pishon and Gihon river which no longer exist since they dried up. Scientists looked at the region in the Middle East and there did used to be two rivers where the Bible states they were at, and also, at the time of Adam and Eve, sea levels were 500 feet lower and as a result, the Persian River did not exist at the time. Then as the Earth eventually began warming up, sea levels rose and in most places, increases in water height take years to change, but happened suddenly in the Garden of Eden and therefore the Persian Sea was formed and the Garden of Eden was drowned under water.

I thought this was really interesting, maybe we've finally found where this place is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
If I were you, I wouldn't put too much trust in the History Channel...It is one of my favorites, but they often get things wrong... After all they are there more to entertain than to educate. Look at the number of programs they have about UFOs....Shear speculation and nothing to do with history.

The Garden of Eden will never be found, because it is just based on the creation MYTH, and is not real.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Apparently there is one on the Upper Westside at 27th and Broadway.

Garden of Eden, Upper West Side, New York - Images (http://www.edengourmet.com/UWS/ - broken link)

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The Garden of Eden will never be found, because it is just based on the creation MYTH, and is not real.
Actually, there's no reason why such a place couldn't have existed. Just because it became mythologized doesn't mean there wasn't a factual basis. I'm certainly with you on the relative merits (or lack thereof) gained by using the History Channel as an authoritative source.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, there's no reason why such a place couldn't have existed. Just because it became mythologized doesn't mean there wasn't a factual basis. I'm certainly with you on the relative merits (or lack thereof) gained by using the History Channel as an authoritative source.
I agree, there probably was a lush garden or two in the mid east, but I balk at the thought that is was the place where Adam and Eve were deposited after creation...I meant no garden of Eden in the biblical sense.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Although a lot of the Bible is in the form of stories meant to communicate certain ideas and moralities, the fact remains that there is plenty of genuine history woven into its pages. The geographic references throughout the Bible fascinate me no end. Unfortunately for those of us here in the 21st century, most of the specific locations are lost to history. I think it would be truly wonderful if we knew what places the original writers referred to--but as it is, all we can do is make guesses.

Eden was apparently a specific place, as shown by the four rivers given as a direction (two of which may not have been literal rivers at all, but estuaries that have disappeared with shifting coastlines). It's also interesting that Genesis 2:8 specifically states "...the Lord G-d planted a garden eastward, in Eden." You have to stop and ask--east of where? It would have had to be somewhere in the Fertile Crescent, because people wouldn't have settled in desert wasteland. So whoever actually wrote the Book of Genesis was probably writing from somewhere in Israel.

As I say, Biblical history--and I mean history, not mythology--fascinates me!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
A lot of fiction stories are set in a location that the author is familiar with. Since much of the biblical stories were "borrowed" from the Mesopotamians, it makes since that, like many stories, this one was set in a location that the original authors were familiar with. That doesn't make the story any more real than (for examples) the Golden Girls or Horatio Caine of Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality