Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,113,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
kinda like.."anda thena mya frienda hea dieda, oha wherea area youa goinga"...the media, sat night live had a field day with it, and they have never let it go

Are you sure he wasn't from Sicily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,792,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Baptism is how all Christians are reborn. But why then does the media use this term against certain Christian but not Catholics per se?
There is definately a difference in how they are viewed. Usually the term "born-again" is used as a derogatory term by the left wing media.
I think they are referring to hard core fundementalists. I know I am guilty of lumping them together as well, because you are right people incorrectly use the phrase to mean the "tv" evangelelist types that do give rise to the more negative associations people have about Christians. The funny thing is (and I'm not saying this is right) but when I do it I am definitely referring to annoying people (my in-laws come to mind) but when the media or people who don't know anything about Christians do it they are definitely just lumping everyone together.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,454,159 times
I was raised in another Christian denomination, and then pretty much was "agnostic" . . .

Didn't really believe, needed proof, etc., etc.

The term "born again" to me sounded self-righteous . . . but then, I started reading the Bible and actually saw scripture like the ones you posted above . . . it all became clear to me, thank goodness, because I was in desperate need of a Saviour!!!! Thankfully, the old me is gone, and I am made new in his love, and born again . . .

Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,779,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I have a few questions about terminology. Can born again, fundamentalist, evangelical and bible-christian all be used inter-changably??
This is a tricky question... and my answer is yes and no I mean, fundamentalist in it's purest sense means you believe in the fundamentals of Christianity... Jesus was born of a virgin, is the Son of God, he died on the cross, was buried and rose on the third day. Those are pretty much the fundamentals and hopefully all Christians believe them.

Now, fundamentalist in recent times has gotten lots of negative attention and brings up bad connotations with the mere mention of the word anymore so many I think are shying away from this term.

So it's possible a Bible-believing Christian can be called a fundamentalist. Bible-believing Christians aren't necessarily evangelicals though. I identify myself as a Bible-believing Christian (who attends an independent Baptist church), but I'm not going around trying to convert everyone I see, either.

Evangelical are more the "go get 'em" type. They're out to convert anyone they can, but some don't dwell (IMO) on the details as much. They spread the good news.. but maybe sugar-coat it to some extent. I did say some.. right? There are the fire & brimstone evangelicals that could be called fundamentalists, but some fundies aren't evangelicals... make sense?

And I think born again (in the most general sense) applies to all who believe in Christ.. we are born anew with purpose and guidance and strength through Him. However, lots of "born agains" identify as fundies and/or evangelicals and/or Bible-believing Christians.

In summary I think the behavior of the person to whom the label is applied needs to be examined to determine if cross-categorizing is warranted. (I'm very tired ... and hope this makes sense to someone )

Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,215,853 times
Default Born Again experience

To my way of thinking, "born again" (beside obviously referring to John 3:3) refers to Christians who believe that there is some specific point in time where they have made a decision to accept and believe in Christ as their savior. Some Christian groups such as the liturgical groups like Catholics, Lutherans do not use this term and IMO do not stress the need for this type of "decision for Christ." Hmmm... I feel another thread coming on!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,792,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
To my way of thinking, "born again" (beside obviously referring to John 3:3) refers to Christians who believe that there is some specific point in time where they have made a decision to accept and believe in Christ as their savior. Some Christian groups such as the liturgical groups like Catholics, Lutherans do not use this term and IMO do not stress the need for this type of "decision for Christ." Hmmm... I feel another thread coming on!
OH NO! I just heard a BIG can of worms opening!...LOL

Old 06-08-2007, 01:10 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I often hear the media use the term born-again Christians, and it isn't usually a positive connotation. My question is this; is there any other kind of Christian other than a "born-again" one? Jesus says we must be born again to enter Heaven.

I was just wondering. . are there some people who call themselves Christians but have not been born again? Do Catholics consider themselves born again Christians?
Yes, there are people who call themselves "Christians", but have not been born again. Like some who join a church, and think by doing so they are now a Christian. Or by doing volunteer charitable works, they are now a Christian. Are they really Christians? No! Not unless they have recieved Jesus as Saviour. The Bible plainly teaches that you must be born again. That experience ONLY comes by receiving Jesus as Saviour...there is no other way.
The phrase "born-again Christian" refers to the only kind of Christian. All the other kinds of "Christians" are not real, because only Christians are born-again. Sorry, I can't speak for Catholics, or how they feel about it. I would imagine some are, and some aren't...born again. Just like in any church. (you do not have to "join" any church to become born-again) A church is a local fellowship of other Christians that provides a setting for one to learn, interact with other believers, get (and give) help and support, and grow. Aside from that, once you become born-again, you are immediately part of the greater body of Christ, whether you currently are a member of a local church, or not. But you SHOULD seek fellowship with other Christians, whether it is some large organized church, or simply a small home church prayer group meeting once or twice a week.

Bud

Old 06-08-2007, 11:52 PM

743 posts, read 2,228,993 times
I also think of the term "born again" to refer to someone who has had a dramatic conversion to Christ in their life. It is often used in the context of how someone has been a drug-addicted prostitute on skid row.....or an arrogant, intellectual atheist (not saying that all atheists are intellectuals)....or a hedonistic self-involved person....and they all have a spiritual awakening, of such, and have been "born again", renouncing their old ways and living their new life as a Christian.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:16 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,853,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yes, there are people who call themselves "Christians", but have not been born again. Like some who join a church, and think by doing so they are now a Christian. Or by doing volunteer charitable works, they are now a Christian. Are they really Christians? No! Not unless they have recieved Jesus as Saviour.
But what if they already did the first time? I think this attitude is what gets under people's skin about the term "born-again" Christian. It's basically a guilty until proven innocent philosophy. It's like a challenge. If people feel they're Christian, believe themselves to be Christian, what human is "high up" enough to refute that?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 AM

255 posts, read 1,193,209 times
This is such an important thread since there is so much confusion about the terms. You know, the term "Christian" depends on who you're talking to. The name was originally given to differentiate those in the days of the early church who were called "Christ's Ones" (or Christians). We were missionaries in Asia for almost 15 years (and altogether for 25 years) and if we asked someone there if they were a Christian, they would say, Yes, absolutely. However, they were not folks who had asked Jesus into their hearts and lives and had begun a personal relationship with Him, claiming Him as their Lord and Saviour. Their belief system/church told them that they were "Christian".

On the other hand, the Bible talks about being "born again" where one turns from this world's system and is born into God's kingdom.

We therefore began asking people instead if they were "born again believers" in Jesus. And there are plenty of people the world over who call themselves Christians but are not born again. To be called a "born-again Christian" in the U.S. makes it perfectly clear to Whom one belongs. It eliminates the confusion.

And could I just clear up some terminology? The term "evangelical" refers to those proclaiming the Bible as the Gospel (or Good News = the Evangel) i.e. the Word of God. I would therefore certainly hope that Bible-believing Christians are evangelicals. And I am of the opinion that the only reason we were put on earth is to share that Good News with those around us: those who are not "born again". The long and the short of it is that terminology can be confusing, especially the way the media uses it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality