U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times
Reputation: 5054

Advertisements

H L Mencken has long been one of my favorite people, Rafius. Thanks for the quotes!

The Bible is not a scientific text, contrary to what many seem to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Reputation: 2393
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
H L Mencken has long been one of my favorite people, Rafius.
Mine too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Reputation: 3717
Thanks v. much for these! How true. I'd seen them long ago, but didn't remember where-from! Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You might enjoy these quotes rifleman.....

"The notion that science does not concern itself with first causes -- that it leaves the field to theology or metaphysics, and confines itself to mere effects -- this notion has no support in the plain facts. If it could, science would explain the origin of life on earth at once -- and there is every reason to believe that it will do so on some not too remote tomorrow. To argue that gaps in knowledge which will confront the seeker must be filled, not by patient inquiry, but by intuition or revelation, is simply to give ignorance a gratuitous and preposterous dignity."
-- H L Mencken (1930)


"Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt."
-- H L Mencken
It is fascinating to me how Christians in particular come down so hard on scientific inquiry, and on those who carefully practice it. They also despise honest questioning and reasonable doubt even when the subject topic is patently implausible.

I'd love for these nay-sayers to have to take an enforced course on The Scientific Method, with a thoughtful analysis of each necessary component, which taken together pretty much guarantees a minimum of fakery and deceit. The rigors and vigors currently applied to research design and interpretation are more stringent every year. To try to discredit b y insult or lies, for instance, some Nobel Prize winner's conclusions about Evolution or genetics simply because those facts completely discredit another literal biblical fantasy is, well.... delusional.

And yet they do persist. It's probably because the Christian apologist websites hope the average faithful reader will simply take their word for it, and will reliably parrot their purposeful lies.

Hence we have those fallacious "proofs" of God's existence. Witness the "How can you interpret these glorious Godly achievements any other way?" Are they really, honestly asking that question? Are they really prepared for alternate answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,637,349 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
May be not what you meant but it is what you said. If you would read your post before hitting submit, maybe you would fair better.
Ok, looks like I have to break down my post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Well the major religions of today would
I agree, that theistic religions would collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
but I could think up a number of religions that would thrive under the removal of scientific ignorance from the general public.
But then I could make up my own religion that would thrive under the removal of "scientific ignorance".

I don't see the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,976,337 times
Reputation: 3602
[quote=Gplex;13607544]
Quote:
Ok, looks like I have to break down my post.



I agree, that theistic religions would collapse.
Amazing! You claim to "break down" your post by making a statement that was not even in the original post, and break it down to your own satisfaction as opposed to truth.

Quote:
But then I could make up my own religion that would thrive under the removal of "scientific ignorance".
Again, not what your original post said. Being disingenuous doesn't help your case.

Quote:
I don't see the problem
You wouldn't, with your mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Well the major religions of today would, but I could think up a number of religions that would thrive under the removal of scientific ignorance from the general public.
By 'scientific ignorance' you are saying 'educate the public', and education is the greatest enemy that religion faces. Ignorance and fear is the petri dish of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
 
34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786
I'm beginning to think that

Extra-Biblical Historical Evidence of Jesus

is a pretty persistent fallacious argument. It's mind - numbingly persistent. And it's not a logical fallacy as if there were any they'd not be false, but there really aren't and the fallacy is in pretending that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Reputation: 2393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm beginning to think that

Extra-Biblical Historical Evidence of Jesus

is a pretty persistent fallacious argument. It's mind - numbingly persistent. And it's not a logical fallacy as if there were any they'd not be false, but there really aren't and the fallacy is in pretending that they are.
I've even had one dude tell me that there are letters written by Pilate to his friend Seneca that prove Jesus existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
 
425 posts, read 273,108 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
This thought train is unacceptable to the theist.

It is an either/or situation.

Either you prove my belief wrong (to their own impossible standards of course) or you have proven me correct.

Continuing faulty thought process.
Maybe to a theist who 's foundation isn't established enough in their own minds to speak or reason in a coherent manner . The only real "either or " in regards to man's thoughts is "is their an origin to them or not ? "

We employ a base ten number system for innate reasons no matter how the story is retold. We have zero and infinity , we have one . We also have a History of Isopsephia (Gematria) which is a naturally occurring form of encryption for humans to play with. YHVH in the standard numerical value is 26 Echad which is one in Hebrew has a value of 13. 2 x13 = 26 The Phrase YHVH Echad adds up to 39. There are 39 books in the Old Testament. Revelation opens up the world of Gematria to the believer. The whole of the Bible as well as a host of other writings such as the Greek myths have all kinds of naturally occurring numerical encryptions . Studying them leads to discovery including ones involving the physical sciences. It is the role of philosophy to be an impetus for the study of creation.

Some Notes on the History of Isopsephia (Gematria)

The Shema is a formula and to argue whether it is true is to not have installed it into ones own mind and ran it . It is as real as any software application . You either employ it or you don't.

ד שְׁמַע, יִשְׂרָאֵל: יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ, יְהוָה אֶחָד. 4 Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one.
ה וְאָהַבְתָּ, אֵת יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ, בְּכָל-לְבָבְךָ וּבְכָל-נַפְשְׁךָ, וּבְכָל-מְאֹדֶךָ. 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
ו וְהָיוּ הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה, אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוְּךָ הַיּוֹם--עַל-לְבָבֶךָ. 6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be upon thy heart;
ז וְשִׁנַּנְתָּם לְבָנֶיךָ, וְדִבַּרְתָּ בָּם, בְּשִׁבְתְּךָ בְּבֵיתֶךָ וּבְלֶכְתְּךָ בַדֶּרֶךְ, וּבְשָׁכְבְּךָ וּבְקוּמֶךָ. 7 and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
ח וּקְשַׁרְתָּם לְאוֹת, עַל-יָדֶךָ; וְהָיוּ לְטֹטָפֹת, בֵּין עֵינֶיךָ. 8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be for frontlets between thine eyes.
ט וּכְתַבְתָּם עַל-מְזֻזוֹת בֵּיתֶךָ, וּבִשְׁעָרֶיךָ. {ס} 9 And thou shalt write them upon the door-posts of thy house, and upon thy gates. {S}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top