Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:59 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times

Advertisements

Uhhhhhhm, let's see...

Well...I don't know if I can come up with one BIG trial...it seems my life is always full of A LOT of smaller trials . When I think of a big trial, I think of the death of a loved one, abuse, health problems and those sorts of things.
Although I do not really have those kinds of big trials...yet anyway...I have trials like a daughter that was molested by her best friends brother at age 14, then raped by another friend's boyfriend later the same year. She's now 17 years old and pregnant and was abused by the baby's father, which THANK GOD he is no longer in the picture! She wants to be all grown up (and is really trying) but is still really lacking the gumption to take care of business , I have a 16 year old son who, despite his decision for Christ, tends to relish in at least 2 of the 7 deadly sins (PRIDE and SLOTH ) and if they are truly deadly...OH MY IS HE IN BIG TROUBLE and I also have two younger ones 12 and 6...so with 4 kids, I have small trials pretty much every day...there would have been PLENTY of times that I would have thrown in the towel if it was not for my faith in God!
I always live by the sayings "Whatever doesn't kill me will only make me stronger" and "If He brings be to it, He'll bring me through it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,102 times
Sigh, I remember praying aloud before a couple hundred people one night and playing in a praise band at an after school event, and then come home to cry myself to sleep because my parents were about to divorce, and my mother talked to me about it before she even told him. (tip for parents, don't do that to your kids) At 16 you don't know what to make of a lot of things, but Christ is an anchor to hold fast to.
These days I struggle with "why do the wicked prosper?" while things don't go so easy for my family and I sometimes.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Since I became a follower of Christ 6 years ago, the biggest trial I have had to face is living here in NYC. I came from Utah to get married and trying to adapt to life here is very difficult at best. Disrespect, lack of accountability, hedonistic lifestyles, and little concern for others are only a few of the challenges we face every day. We pray for this city a lot and know that only God can change things. I pray also that the city doesn't change us.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Since I became a follower of Christ 6 years ago, the biggest trial I have had to face is living here in NYC. I came from Utah to get married and trying to adapt to life here is very difficult at best. Disrespect, lack of accountability, hedonistic lifestyles, and little concern for others are only a few of the challenges we face every day. We pray for this city a lot and know that only God can change things. I pray also that the city doesn't change us.
I can understand the culture shock of moving from Utah to NYC...but I have to say I was born and lived in NYC until I was 32 and would go back in a heartbeat! I think you need to start looking to the positives of the people you are surrounded with and get out there and actually experience the wonderful diversity of the city. It would be quite enlightening I think.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
I believe trials come in every shape and size and what might seem small to one is huge to another.

Since truly walking in faith, I have faced family members scoffing at me for how I handle hurdles. Making fun of my belief I can handle, but it is the fact that they are making fun of and denying Christ that I cannot help but to weep over. These people are my loved ones, whom I would die for and who I wish so much could see the beauty of Christ. My heart cries out in pain for them, and I forgive them left and right for thier harmful taunts.

When I become angry, I pray for guidance to handle whatever it is I am upset with, in a Godly way so my actions can convey Christ and my family can see the living example a true Christian can be. I fail, many times, and realize it is simply satan waging war against God and using me as a vessel. This gives me strength to carry on the good fight.

The deeper I get in my faith, the more temptation seeks me out. Little things sneak into crevices and turn into open sores and spill out into full fledged sin without me noticing it till it's big ugly head rears up, giving ammunition to others to say something to the effect of what happened to your big time religion? satan has used me to turn others to him by showing them my sin.

My oldest son is sitting in rehab. This past year has seen him turn from everything he was brought up to believe. My son tried to commit sucicide with an overdose of heroin because he believed the lie satan told him. Thank God He would not stop fighting for Chris.

He's been in rehab for a month now, and is doing much better. This particular rehab is a Christian one with intense counceling which my son despertaly needed.

God's hand was all over us getting him there, he got arrested the day before Easter for DUI. I left him in jail for 4 agonizing days. During this time, I was praying, and feeling God's presence all around. Suddenly, we heard of this place, called and found out it was a month's waiting list to get in, we got in in less than a week. Chris agreed to go, we could not force him. He has agreed to stay, to turn his life aruond, and now he is doing so much better.

satan tried to take my child from me, which would have totally destroyed our family. God is a wonderful God, He did not allow this to happen.

We face challanges each day, and they can all add up enough to bring us to our knees daily or to turn us against God. We have to remain strong in our faith, no matter what we are dealing with, and choose to turn our lives over to God and ask for grace and peace and wisdom and shelter and strength.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
OK, I'll be brave and give it a try. Irishmom, your testimony is amazing! What a life filled with struggles and you came through it with such dignity and strength. Praise be to God!

As I have said before, I have always known that God was there. Always been a believer. I also firmly believe that he will not give us more than we can handle. My life has had it's many low spots. I don't know, there are too many to mention. But I also had a good life (my husband always get a kick out of that). Here's a typical statement to follow up his laughter (it will help you understand, I think) "Well, you know, aside from the alcoholism, sexual abuse and train wreck, I think it was like most kids lives." Anyway, I think I see ALL the things that happened in my life as a bridge to who I am today. I like me. I'm not such a bad person. My husband asked me once, if I could change just one thing in my life, what would it be? I cannot remember my answer at the time, but it was mundane, given my past, he was shocked. He even threw out a couple "for instances" and I said "no" I think they are a part of who I am. But getting back on track, I did want to say that I think that maybe my parents alcoholism has been my biggest battle (maybe because it is the one that we just can't seem to get past). There are so many memories that go along with that one! But what I mostly wanted to mention was my prayer request from the other night. I know that some of you read it and are out there praying for me (thanks). I have not taken the opportunity to talk to my mother about it yet (I will have to, I head to Charlotte in the AM and back home tomorrow.) but that night, after typing my prayer request and then typing it again , I got on my knees and prayed. I asked God what there was that I could offer him? I felt like I had been struggling with this for so long and there truly is nothing that I (emphasis on I) could do. But I thought that if I could offer something up to God (sort of as a personal sacrifice, if that makes any sense) it might help the situation. Help my mother to see how she is hurting everyone around her! And I kept hearing God say to me, "Well, you could give up drinking." It's funny because I kept trying to push those words aside. You see, I am not an alcoholic. I know that with the family history, this is something that I definately have to consider all the rest of my life, but I happen to like beer!! It's my escape. Just one beer and a sunset. That helps me through a really tough day sometimes. And I am a social drinker, might share a bottle of wine with friends over dinner. But, dog gone it, those words kept resonating in my head. "Give up drinking!" Well, that night, I gave it over to God and oddly enough I have such peace with it. I don't know if I will share this detail with my mother. I will tell my husband because he's going to wonder why I'm not drinking. ooooooohhh...I'm going to miss beer!! But I do feel good about it. And I will talk to my mother today.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:06 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, I'll be brave and give it a try. Irishmom, your testimony is amazing! What a life filled with struggles and you came through it with such dignity and strength. Praise be to God!

As I have said before, I have always known that God was there. Always been a believer. I also firmly believe that he will not give us more than we can handle. My life has had it's many low spots. I don't know, there are too many to mention. But I also had a good life (my husband always get a kick out of that). Here's a typical statement to follow up his laughter (it will help you understand, I think) "Well, you know, aside from the alcoholism, sexual abuse and train wreck, I think it was like most kids lives." Anyway, I think I see ALL the things that happened in my life as a bridge to who I am today. I like me. I'm not such a bad person. My husband asked me once, if I could change just one thing in my life, what would it be? I cannot remember my answer at the time, but it was mundane, given my past, he was shocked. He even threw out a couple "for instances" and I said "no" I think they are a part of who I am. But getting back on track, I did want to say that I think that maybe my parents alcoholism has been my biggest battle (maybe because it is the one that we just can't seem to get past). There are so many memories that go along with that one! But what I mostly wanted to mention was my prayer request from the other night. I know that some of you read it and are out there praying for me (thanks). I have not taken the opportunity to talk to my mother about it yet (I will have to, I head to Charlotte in the AM and back home tomorrow.) but that night, after typing my prayer request and then typing it again , I got on my knees and prayed. I asked God what there was that I could offer him? I felt like I had been struggling with this for so long and there truly is nothing that I (emphasis on I) could do. But I thought that if I could offer something up to God (sort of as a personal sacrifice, if that makes any sense) it might help the situation. Help my mother to see how she is hurting everyone around her! And I kept hearing God say to me, "Well, you could give up drinking." It's funny because I kept trying to push those words aside. You see, I am not an alcoholic. I know that with the family history, this is something that I definately have to consider all the rest of my life, but I happen to like beer!! It's my escape. Just one beer and a sunset. That helps me through a really tough day sometimes. And I am a social drinker, might share a bottle of wine with friends over dinner. But, dog gone it, those words kept resonating in my head. "Give up drinking!" Well, that night, I gave it over to God and oddly enough I have such peace with it. I don't know if I will share this detail with my mother. I will tell my husband because he's going to wonder why I'm not drinking. ooooooohhh...I'm going to miss beer!! But I do feel good about it. And I will talk to my mother today.
words escape me, what a powerful testimony. Praise God for our victories each and every day.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Interesting. I do not see these things in the same way that you do. I too live in NYC, but I do not see the same problems that you do, or at least not in a substantially different manner than I have observed in other cities.

I have met caring people, I have seen people go out of their way to help others, and I know people who live perfectly normal (non-hedonistic??) lifestyles. Certainly I have seen direspectful, etc people as well, but lets face facts. There are over 8 million people in this city, you are going to get a wide variety of behaviors and people.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:11 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Wow Weather...like you I like my drinking a few times a year, but if I thought it would help someone else I would give it up too. Good luck to you with your parents I hope they get better in your lifetime to see it.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Wow Weather...like you I like my drinking a few times a year, but if I thought it would help someone else I would give it up too. Good luck to you with your parents I hope they get better in your lifetime to see it.

Thanks, Irishmom. This is off topic, but it goes along with the history a little. I actually gave up chocolate once, when my mother was going through radiation and having a hard time giving up smoking (I'm not really sure that she tried). I don't have an addictive personality and I was trying to reach out to her in some way, she knows how very much I love chocolate, so I offered to give it up as a sacrifice for her giving up smoking. She agreed, but after a couple of weeks I heard through family that she thought that it was a joke and a rediculous idea. Needless to say, I eat chocolate now. (It was really hard, I wouldn't even lick my fingers after I made the kids chocolate milk). But this time, the offer is between God and me! Man, did I mention that I'm really going to miss beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality