Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Which finger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"God is a Spirit." Yet as you present this Spirit it is terribly concerned to be perceived as having a penis and testicles.

You make this Spirit sound like an insecure 16-year-old human male.
Aggressive, egotistical, petty, paranoid, jealous, overly concerned with virgins and concubines... Well it sorta fits.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Jesus said Pray ``Our Father In Heaven ``...... but this Father is a posture from the Lord to establish faith and honor to the Children of God and the family person of Honor and Reverance ......... Calling The Lord God she can be made as a preference for special condition and still recieve from Heaven and Jesus can honor the differance, as long as this diffrence is not a provocative move to condemn others into believing like you, and provoking in a activist ways against other Believers and this diffrence is a Reverance and Honor and Faith the the Lord God...... See the Women about to give birth in Revelation 12 is the presence of the Lord God in the earth, but It is also Holy Spirit and in Proper prayer we pray to The Father and Jesus answers our Prayer and send his Holy Spirit to deliver his answer,... You will have, to have The Lord God know who you are praying to.....

Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 AM

290 posts, read 388,627 times
I've always understood God as being neither.
Sex (female or male) is a characteristic of the physical body...God doesn't have a physical body and therefore can be neither...
That's what I would say. My teacher, a nun, says the same.
Maybe it's just up to what resonates with you most.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
Sex (female or male) is a characteristic of the physical body...God doesn't have a physical body and therefore can be neither...
That certainly makes much more sense than "he" or "she."

It seems that to put a gender to God is to put human limits on the deity. How is this different, for example, than claiming when God "sees" us he does it with eyes.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
1. Are you a Christian?
2. Do you believe Jesus Christ is God?
3. Do you believe Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven in bodily form?
4. When do you believe He got rid of His body?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
1. Are you a Christian?
2. Do you believe Jesus Christ is God?
3. Do you believe Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven in bodily form?
4. When do you believe He got rid of His body?
I am referring to the "father" God rather than the "son" God.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I am referring to the "father" God rather than the "son" God.
But don't Christians believe they are both part of the same substance? How can one substance be both corporeal (plus have a gender) and non-corporeal at the same time? If the Father is non-corporeal and the Son is corporeal and male, it sounds to me as if there are two separate and physically distinct substances.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But don't Christians believe they are both part of the same substance? How can one substance be both corporeal (plus have a gender) and non-corporeal at the same time? If the Father is non-corporeal and the Son is corporeal and male, it sounds to me as if there are two separate and physically distinct substances.
As I understand it, God is imminent - close, in everything, sustainting everything. Therefore, in a way, God is both a part of us and separate. So can't it be the same for "father" God and "son" God? After all, if "son" God were exactly the same as "father" God, Jesus wouldn't have had to pray because he would have been praying directly to himself.

It was once explained that God's incarnation of Christ led to a phenomenon known as kenosis (self-emptying). In this way, God limited his power so that He could enter the human form - ie, lose the power to do absolutely everything, having to subject himself the time and space, etc. So although God and Jesus may be one and the same (according to Christianity), God is the absolute, while Jesus is the limited version of absolute. Thereby meaning "father" God can be neither female nor male, while "son" God has to be one or the other - male.

St. Paul wrote:

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus,
who though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited,
but emptied himself taking the form of a slave,
being born in human likeness.
[Philippians 2: 5-7]

Does that make sense? And does it resonate?

Last edited by SpidrAkirE; 04-04-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times
Excellent response SpidrAkirE! I personally read through the Bible and get inspiration from the messages. I always felt that the message was that man and woman were made in the image of God. This translates to many as a physical image. To me it is spritual image. He is refered to male because of our limited ability to understand the complexity of God. Yeah, Jesus referring to God as Mother would have been confusing to anyone of the day. Or better, It. God is God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality