Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM

63,783 posts, read 40,047,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You keep claiming this. Point to one thing in nature that indicates a god.
Creator . . . sustainer . . . Ruler ("laws" of physics, etc.) . . . nurturer and improver (evolution by selection). What scientific basis do you have for asserting it is NOT God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
MysticPhD: Where do you get the idea that God is the "improver" through natural selection? It's called NATURAL selection for a reason...no supernatural aid required.

Every time I see this thread's title, I think,#What proof is there that there IS a god? The burden of proof lies with the believer.# Would you believe me if I stated that there is a planet made of solid platinum somewhere in the Andromeda Galaxy? And I just "know" it's true. Would you have to prove to me that there isn't in order to discredit me? How would you do so? After all, the existence of a god cannot be proven. Neither can it absolutely be disproven, but it seems extremely unlikely (like the platinum planet).

Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
You keep claiming this. Point to one thing in nature that indicates a god.
I think he may be trying to convince HIMSELF...Repetition is not helping your case mystic, in fact it is becoming boring....I find myself passing by your posts the second I see that bolded word NATURE.....You cannot prove there is a god, nor can anyone else...Call it God or call it nature, it makes no difference what you call it.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
MysticPhD: Where do you get the idea that God is the "improver" through natural selection? It's called NATURAL selection for a reason...no supernatural aid required.
God is not supernatural . . . there is no such thing. And your "natural" simply names your God "Nature" as the source. I could say it is God's designed selection process. Other than the name there is no difference.
Quote:
Every time I see this thread's title, I think,#What proof is there that there IS a god?
The point of this thread is that you abscond with ALL the evidence and attribute it to your "Nature" God and then claim there is no evidence. Neat trick . . . but a trick nonetheless. HOW do you SCIENTIFICALLY distinguish between your "Nature" God and mine?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think he may be trying to convince HIMSELF...Repetition is not helping your case mystic, in fact it is becoming boring....I find myself passing by your posts the second I see that bolded word NATURE.....You cannot prove there is a god, nor can anyone else...Call it God or call it nature, it makes no difference what you call it.
Apparently it does . . . and your frustration stems from your desire to assert there is no God of any kind in the face of overwhelming evidence that there is. We just have no idea who it is so you call it "Nature" . . . and think you have dodged the bullet.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Creator . . . sustainer . . . Ruler ("laws" of physics, etc.) . . . nurturer and improver (evolution by selection). What scientific basis do you have for asserting it is NOT God?
Not how it works Mystic, you must show that it IS god.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Not how it works Mystic, you must show that it IS god.
Sorry . . . those are pretty Godly things . . . how do you explain them?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Apparently it does . . . and your frustration stems from your desire to assert there is no God of any kind in the face of overwhelming evidence that there is.
Then one can only wonder why there is such a necessity for 'faith' in the face of this "overwhelming evidence"!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then one can only wonder why there is such a necessity for 'faith' in the face of this "overwhelming evidence"!
Because of all the OTHER attributes that are not as susceptible to scientific proof that people wish to assign to God . . . such as those that result from personal experience.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:36 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Apparently it does . . . and your frustration stems from your desire to assert there is no God of any kind in the face of overwhelming evidence that there is. We just have no idea who it is so you call it "Nature" . . . and think you have dodged the bullet.
What frustration? I usually don't laugh when I'm frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality