Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times

Advertisements

In the process of surfing the web lately, I've run across sites where the author never spells out Lord, or God, Jesus, etc, without putting at least one underscore in it. What g_ves? If it's because of reverence to the names, both Lord and God are titles, not names...

Bud
C_nfu_ed in Ala_ka!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
There was someone who wrote God in the way you're describing recently and I asked him what it meant. I'm sorry I don't recall specifically what he said but he was religious and it had some particular significance for his particular beliefs. It was on this forum so maybe somebody else will remember but I know it wasn't a disrespectful thing, he was doing it for a religious reason.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
I agree. I haven't seen that but that is indeed odd.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,467 times
I find that quite odd too. I know that gizmo (one of the members on here who is a reform agnostic jew) said once that it is a religious things and having to do with reverence for the name of God. I think some people however do it because they don't believe in God. I kinda see it as not acknowledging the divinity of God (even if it is not your belief but just out of respect for those it is) I know the OP was referring to putting - in a word but I've also seen a lot of people speaking about God with a small g and I think that is a little disrespectful.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
Yeah, I was thinking it was more in terms of some particular site not allowing you to type out the words for some reason. I wasnt thinking that the person might be doing it for conscientious reasons. That's a bit different and when it comes to that, whatever makes you happy is fine with me.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,454 times
Yes, Gizmo explained this before. It has to do with Reverence. But also to write out/type the word would also allow someone to tear it up, burn it, whatever. That is why they didn't do it. However, Giz said that she had looked into it further and it was old book and not a big deal now. (Hopefully I did a halfway deceint job at telling it right. Maybe Giz can do it better later).

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
It is a mystery to me, never run across it (that I remember. Does he/she capitalize the word god or lord? I only capitalize those words if I am referring to God or Jesus or at the beginning of a sentence as most people do.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
According to Jewish tradition, if the Lord's name is written in full in any language, then one must dispose of the paper/material in a proper manner of which I am not certain because you cannot burn, or tear up the paper/material. To avoid this possible desceration of His name and problem with disposal of material, G-d is written with a "change", in this case, the dash. It is out of respect for the Lord.

However, writing on a computer, like we're doing, doesn't count (your computer screen is not considered a paper-like substance), though the custom has carried on through the years. Don't know why though....

Old 06-07-2007, 10:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Thank you urban..I have learned something else today

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
According to Jewish tradition, if the Lord's name is written in full in any language, then one must dispose of the paper/material in a proper manner of which I am not certain because you cannot burn, or tear up the paper/material. To avoid this possible desceration of His name and problem with disposal of material, G-d is written with a "change", in this case, the dash. It is out of respect for the Lord.

However, writing on a computer, like we're doing, doesn't count (your computer screen is not considered a paper-like substance), though the custom has carried on through the years. Don't know why though....

I wish people had more respect for His name today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality