Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM

18 posts, read 22,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think a deeper knowledge of reality (physical, emotional and spiritual) is beneficial to mankind in every way. I totally reject the argument that if we were more ignorant and more like animals we are the more Godly or faithful we are. I think a little less like animals and a little more like humans will do just fine, thank you.

Maybe your idea of Godliness is dumb animal walking mindlessly down a prescribed path? Yikes! That's terrible. Where's the virtue in that?

History show just the opposite of what the OP proposes. The more ignorance there is among humans the more poverty, unrest and instability there is in the world.

I think the more educated the masses are the more they reject some of the ridiculous traditions and superstitions that religions have come up with to replace true spiritual enlightenment. If that's what your referring to I'll give it a big hearty amen. And I hope it gets even 'worse'.
in your earlier post you made a really good point.
but, in this one i say that i don't think one must be in a lack of knowledge to closer to god, i say that the less knowledge of the world one has the more likely they are not to question god (his exsistance, word, etc.) That if we were never to have gained that knowledge we wouldn't miss things like the fruits that knowledge has brought us now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farore36 View Post
i've noticed a trendd inspired by a qoute i've read that worldly knowledge is the enemy of faith. This is a proven fact by the fact the most intellectuals are atheist or non-denominational.
Can you give a reference. I think you just pulled this out of the air based on your perticular bias, but has nothing to do with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farore36 View Post
As a christian i belive in the Adam and Eve story we know all so well, and of course they were damned when they gained worldly knowledge via the tree of knowledge.
Any opinions on the topic?
Adam and Eve sinned when they disobeyed God by eating what he said not too. It was the disobedience that caused them to be thrust out of the Garden of Eden.

Knowledge is not the enemy of faith. Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, not the tree of knowledge.

In fact God calls us to think, He says "Come let us reason together".

Science was developed by men of faith who wanted to investigate the hand of God in the creation. So, knowledge is not bad in and of itself.

It is written by the psalmist "thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." God's word is extensive. Some people take a year just to read through it (the bible). So, to hid it in your heart (memorize) could take much work. And David references the good in having this knowledge of the word of God.

If you mean that "wordly knowledge" is knowledge of worldly principles(not godly priciples) like killing, rape, homosexuality, lying, deceit, backbitting, slandering, malicious behavior, drunkeness, etc. basically any act of evil, then I agree with the statement "worldly knowledge is the enemy of faith". But not if "worldly knowledge" means just knowledge of worldly events or things concerning the world like biology and physics.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
"All the articles of our Christian faith, which God has revealed to us in His Word, are in presence of reason sheerly impossible, absurd, and false. Reason in no way contributes to faith. For reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things."...Martin Luther

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"All the articles of our Christian faith, which God has revealed to us in His Word, are in presence of reason sheerly impossible, absurd, and false. Reason in no way contributes to faith. For reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things."...Martin Luther
Complete rubbish.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Complete rubbish.
Why? I see lots of evidence of that type of thinking right here on CD.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Why? I see lots of evidence of that type of thinking right here on CD.
Indeed! So do I. But I don't associate it with Christianity. Antichristianity, yes.

Christianity provides a complete, logical, systematic philosophy that works in practice. It may or may not be true, but the fact is that plenty of people think it is true, because they are sent apparently insane in trying to counter it.

The internet achieves that much, if nothing else besides assisting buying and selling of goods.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 AM

So are you saying that Martin Luther was not a Christian? They are his words, not mine.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that Martin Luther was not a Christian?
Why would anyone suppose that Luther was a Christian?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 AM

Martin Luther was the leader of the Protestant reformation in the 1500s and founder of the Lutheran church. Lutheranism is a major branch of Western Christianity.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Martin Luther was the leader of the Protestant reformation in the 1500s and founder of the Lutheran church. Lutheranism is a major branch of Western Christianity.
How do you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality