Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nah...doesn't make any sense. Payment of a debt is payment of a debt. What one believes is irrelevant. If I bail you out of jail, the sheriff will release you regardless of whether you believe I did it or not.

Comparing bail to Jesus' death on the cross is just not feasible. What one believes is very relevant not only in our spiritual lives, but in every case in life. Sorry, I can't comprehend your statement at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Sorry to go off topic here but are you saying mormons do not accept Jesus as the Saviour?

I know your question was not directed to me and I really don't know much about the Mormon faith. I was told once though by a Mormon friend that she believed Jesus to be only a teacher, not a Saviour.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I know your question was not directed to me and I really don't know much about the Mormon faith. I was told once though by a Mormon friend that she believed Jesus to be only a teacher, not a Saviour.
kew thanx for chiming in,,,i heard that also..

Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Well I can tell you both beyond a shadow of a doubt that that is completely false. Jesus Christ is our one and only Saviour and Redeemer.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I don't know that this question warrants a separate thread so I'll ask it here...hopefully it's appropriate to the original question. Why did Jesus have to die for our sins? He was supposedly the final sacrifice, and nobody had to sacrifice animals after him, etc. And he supposedly took on the world's sins so that God could forgive us all from then on...right? But why couldn't God have just forgiven us our sins Himself? I mean He's God. He can forgive if he wants. He can forgive the whole world if He wants. He can turn the sky purple polka dots if He wants, turn us all into frogs, wipe us all out, cure cancer, whatever...He's GOD. He could have just forgiven us all by Himself...Why would anybody have to die in order to accomplish that? That's one thing I've never understood about the Christian faith.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Also, if it's a matter of, "He had to do something that dramatic to make people realize their sins were being forgiven," well, that's a matter of changing someone's heart...right? Which God could also do. For example, in Exodus, Pharaoh was all set to let the Israelites go and God hardened Pharaoh's heart to make him not let the Israelites go. So...that was a little weird...but anyway...God changed Pharaoh's heart without blinking an eye; but He can't or doesn't want to change people's hearts also regarding sin? It's weird. If it's a question of free will, obviously Pharaoh didn't have free will in this instance, and Pharaoh was a person just like anybody else.

I don't know, I'm rambling, I think, trying to make a point...not sure if it's all understandable the way I put it.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Well I can tell you both beyond a shadow of a doubt that that is completely false. Jesus Christ is our one and only Saviour and Redeemer.
I am so glad to hear that as I always wondered about it and her as well. When I was friends with the Mormon young lady, it was about 33 years ago. I then moved to another state and we lost touch with one another. That's what she told me though. Thank you so much for easing my mind about the Mormon faith.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Comparing bail to Jesus' death on the cross is just not feasible.
Jesus' death was a sacrifice, to pay a debt for our sins. My bailing you out of jail is a sacrifice, to pay a debt for your arrest. Pretty basic comparison, really.
Quote:
What one believes is very relevant not only in our spiritual lives, but in every case in life.
It may be relevant to one's actions, but belief is irrelevant to the facts. I may believe my car won't start, so I take the bus to work every day. This doesn't mean my car won't start. I may be taking the bus for no reason. If Jesus paid my debt in full, then that debt is paid, whether I believe it or not. If I am required to believe in addition to Jesus' sacrifice, then he did not pay the debt in full. Which is it?

Quote:
Sorry, I can't comprehend your statement at all.
In every case in life, as you mention, belief is indeed irrelevant to debt payment, so it is this supposed requirement of Christianity that is incomprehensible.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
I am so glad to hear that as I always wondered about it and her as well. When I was friends with the Mormon young lady, it was about 33 years ago. I then moved to another state and we lost touch with one another. That's what she told me though. Thank you so much for easing my mind about the Mormon faith.
Glad I could clear up that misconception.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Default heaven on earth

When you are dead , you are dead. , thats it. All the talk about heaven and hell is a real thing in the minds of the living. If people want to be kind, giving, do good things for others, make a difference ,they should practice what they preach. Religion in general has done more harm than good , in the name of God ,, or whatever. making things better for the living is what it should be all about. Its a very sad case , that people want to be miserable, start wars , end justifys the means , kinda stuff, when they are alive , just so , they can have a better life when they are dead....makes no sense. Heaven on earth makes much more sense, while we are alive and can enjoy it.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality