Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There isn't anything to squirm about. That's the false illusion that atheists want to believe. If anything, the venomous attacks only serve to strength my faith because I know in the spiritual realm, Satan is behind it. If Christianity was just a myth, atheists would go on about their business and leave it alone instead of trying to tear it apart piece by piece.
Wow, that just takes my breath away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,779,219 times
Quote:
... If Christianity was just a myth, atheists would go on about their business and leave it alone instead of trying to tear it apart piece by piece.
This doesn't really make sense, because if we apply the same logic the other way around it clearly shows that Atheism is true, otherwise Christians would not spend so much effort to disprove it. ( See C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias, Ken Ham, Duane Gish, Doc. Noebel and Summit ministries, etc...). Clearly, just becasue someone else disagrees with you, it does not automatically mean you are right...

-NoCapo

Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM

561 posts, read 1,178,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Surely the lack of evidence today doesn't preclude the possibility that it won't be available tomorrow, no?
Then perhaps, to be fair, your assertion should say, "Absence such evidence - as with leprechauns, Darth Vader, extant tyrannosaurs, God - the logical conclusion is non-existence" as of now.
Yes, that's exactly our point. If and when convincing evidence of god emerges I will reconsider my disbelief that such a thing exists.

But we can only live in the present. Aside from purely cyclical occurrences like the sun rising, there is no way to determine with a high level of confidence what happen in the future. So, yes, evidence of god might emerge, but until that actually does happen it's logical to assume it probably doesn't exist.

This isn't quantum mechanics - it's simple, rudimentary logic.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:40 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jeff, you're stumbling in the dark with all the other fundamentalists.

Try re-reading some of the previous posts by those whom you believe to be Satan-inspired. Reason, logic and sense abound in them.

Perhaps a careful re-reading will ignite a wee light in your mind and you'll find that truth isn't as frightening as you previously thought.

In fact, one can believe in a Creator without having to accommodate the hypocritical, mythical, just-plain-wrong trappings of a "holy" book.

I hope one day you'll experience the joy of liberation when you've grown strong enough to cast off those shackles.
The human brain can only reason and use logic within its own limitations. There is a reality that you can't comprehend. You set the rules, and just because God doesn't neatly fit in those parameters then that should be proof that it's all a myth? Sorry, but I won't risk my eternal destination on fallible man.

If you wanna know truth, watch this video carefully. God is real as it gets. "This is 100% fact"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSC8v5lL8bg

Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times
Quote:
The human brain can only reason and use logic within its own limitations. There is a reality that you can't comprehend. You set the rules, and just because God doesn't neatly fit in those parameters then that should be proof that it's all a myth? Sorry, but I won't risk my eternal destination on fallible man.

If you wanna know truth, watch this video carefully. God is real as it gets. "This is 100% fact"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSC8v5lL8bg
You're preaching to the choir. Ish.

I'm a believer. Just not in your version of God.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:32 PM

446 posts, read 483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes. From my reply, it was abundantly clear than I understood your illogical premise. I illustrated its illogic by pointing out that the same is true for leprechauns and Darth Vader. Yet, unless you're even more ridiculous than you at present seem, you accept that those do not exist. As such, you do not really believe that proof is required for disbelief. Predictably, this all went completely over your head.

Let's talk some more about proof. Can we prove that passenger pigeons are extinct? No. We cannot even prove (it seems obvious that you really don't comprehend what that word means) that tyrannosaurs are extinct. Can we prove that George Washington lived, or that the planet Mars really exists? No. We simply have evidence that they exist. When evidence for something reaches a certain level, we accept it. Absence such evidence - as with leprechauns, Darth Vader, extant tyrannosaurs, God - the logical conclusion is non-existence.

So clearly, no one ordinarily demands the threshold of proof for belief and disbelief. In the real world, evidence suffices. Strong, compelling evidence, but still just evidence - which is infinitely short of proof. This is why it is hypocritical for you to demand proof for the non-existence of God. I suspect this completely eludes you, so rest assured - I do not expect you to reply coherently. This post is intended for other posters; those with a firm sense of logic and a grip on reason.

On the plus side, at least you didn't try to cling to your silly "Death proves God!" thesis. Baby steps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I'm not sure I can improve on Unsettomati's response, so I'll just copy it.

Again, if something never existed there can't possibly be any evidential way to disprove it because any remnants found would indicate it does (or did) exist. But if something never existed there would be no trace of it's non-existence. How could there possibly be?

Consequently, if someone argues that something exists, but presents absolutely no evidence, it's logical to conclude such a thing probably does not. Do you understand logic?

Please reread Unsettomati's response below. If you still don't understand concepts like logic and evidence I'll try to talk you through them, and I'd hazard a guess that he/she will as well.
Nope. No matter how hard of a mental gymnastics you play, you just don't have a proof that God does not exit.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 PM

561 posts, read 1,178,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Nope. No matter how hard of a mental gymnastics you play, you just don't have a proof that God does not exit.
It's impossible to prove non-existence; evidence can only exist for things that do or have existed. If you don't truly don't understand this we've reached an epistemological impasse, and further discussion is probably moot.

So I guess we'll just agree to fundamentally disagree. If and when evidence of god's existence emerges I'll change my perspective, but until that happens I'll remain highly doubtful of it's existence.

Last edited by Apathizer; 05-16-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
If Christianity was just a myth, atheists would go on about their business and leave it alone instead of trying to tear it apart piece by piece.
By the same token if Christians would stop insisting on injecting their Christianity into every aspect of public life, we Atheist would be more than happy to go about our business and let you people eat your wafers, drink your blood, speak in tongues, play with your snakes or whatever you people do to while away your daily existence.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
No gymnastics required. Atheist don't believe in god(s) and it is not our duty or responsibility to prove that god doesn't exist for the burden of proof is not ours.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:56 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,703,039 times
Quote:
The human brain can only reason and use logic within its own limitations. There is a reality that you can't comprehend.
Neither can you, assuming you're consistent with this idea that it is beyond human abilities to understand it. Somehow I guess you're going to tell us that you're special, and unlike everyone else, have access to this magical world beyond our imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality