Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM

446 posts, read 483,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Clearly, fear of death fosters "faith," and not just with Christians.

To me, that seems a rickety foundation upon which to build a lasting, true belief.
Who talked about "fear"? But yeah, sometimes it works too. You must have heard, "There is no atheist on a sinking ship".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 PM

561 posts, read 1,177,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
If God shows himself to you then what's the point of test of faith? Faith is believing in the unseen. Seeing God is inevitable but that comes AFTER death. And as I said, if anyone wants to convince me that God does not exist then simply show me a way to live forever so that I don't have to die.
Eventually, we will all die. This is an unavoidable fact of biological existence. Faith is not knowledge, but is in fact the opposite; belief without knowledge.

And if I were on a sinking ship, I'd look for a row-boat. If I couldn't find one I'd swim, and if I weren't eventually rescued I'd die an agnostic-atheist. Regardless of when and how I die, it will be as an agnostic-atheist.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,205,998 times
Quote:
Who talked about "fear"? But yeah, sometimes it works too. You must have heard, "There is no atheist on a sinking ship".
Of course, that is what you have been lead to believe. It isn't true.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,352,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then you just played your card and revealed your true motive. Thank you. I will know now to not take your questions seriously as you have no desire for answers. Your only desire to make Christians squirm because that props up your own faith in atheism.
Having read the other users posts I think the above from you is little more than wanton and willful misrepresentation. If you can not debate atheists, make stuff up about them and attack that instead.

Quote:
The problem is you don't know all the facts surrounding the culture of the time so it is unfair to make such a judgement.
We appear to know them every bit as much, if not WAY better, than you do.

Quote:
There are numerous OT verses that demand humane treatment of the slave as an equal member of the household.
Which is, as many have already pointed out, a support of the concept of slavery. People are simply saying that the bible supports slavery. And what you say here simply makes their point for them.

Quote:
If Christianity was just a myth, atheists would go on about their business and leave it alone instead of trying to tear it apart piece by piece.
Why? Because you say so?

People attack it and rip it apart because of how it affects and influences our society and the world we live in. That it is a myth is quite simply irrelevant to that. So what you write here is simply false on every single level. As is much of your writing here alas.

Quote:
You set the rules, and just because God doesn't neatly fit in those parameters then that should be proof that it's all a myth?
But the fact that you have no substantiation for the existence of god so you have to simply invent and imagine new "sets of parametres" is very telling indeed. The rules do not suit you, so you simply invent new ones.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 PM

16,610 posts, read 15,568,563 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Of course, that is what you have been lead to believe. It isn't true.
I've also heard that there are no atheists in fox holes. However, there have been numerous posts from atheists in these very forums that are veterans returned from combat, so that wasn't true either.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 PM

10,076 posts, read 5,703,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes. "Belief in God requires faith."

That's a lame copout. Anyone would agree with that statement. I want to see evidence that atheists are capable of agreeing with any Christian in a debate.

Quote:

I used the wrong phrase when I stated "influence society". I should have more accurately stated "influence lawmakers". I don't want my or any other person's morality to influence lawmakers. Civil laws should not be a reflection of anyone's morality.
Civil laws do have to address moral conflicts, and without any foundation, that's where you run into problems like with issues of abortion and assisted suicide.

Quote:

Why would one want to have false hope? Why not simply tell them that next time a unicorn will come and sweep them away just before the storm hits?
You have made a reasonable effort at stating my response to any victim of an act of nature.
False hope is merely your opinion. To state otherwise is to present your comment as 100% proven fact that there is no life after death. Where is your evidence?

Quote:

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." (Lev 25:44-46)
The foreigners were enemies of the Israelites. They still are. What is the best alternative, a captured foreigner being treated well as a slave, or murdered, or be let to their own devices and starve to death in the desert? That's why it is important to understand the culture and region as important factors here.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
That's a lame copout. Anyone would agree with that statement. I want to see evidence that atheists are capable of agreeing with any Christian in a debate.
There are some Christian principles I agree with. I think the Golden Rule is generally a sound moral principle, though I would qualify that it should be written as, 'Do unto others as you would have others do unto if each of your situations were reversed.'

I just find the literal interpretation of scripture as used to explain the origins of humans, the earth, etc. laughable. I think there is much virtue in the New Testament, but don't adhere to these principles just because they're in it.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:15 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,040,664 times
If the Cubs win The World Series this year, with the final game played at Wrigley Field during a blizzard and Fidel Castro throwing out the first pitch---then, I may reconsider.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
If the Cubs win The World Series this year, with the final game played at Wrigley Field during a blizzard and Fidel Castro throwing out the first pitch---then, I may reconsider.
Oh, come on! It needs to be something more reasonable! That's probably even less likely than the skies parting, and god whipping out his schlong!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,305,638 times
Quote:
lol ahahhahaha ...

Lets do the reciprocal. If we go by your logic, no matter what proof is brought to you that God DOES exist, you will find a way to dismiss it. So why asking for a proof?

But it's a double jeopardy here, you simply do NOT have a proof of ANY KIND that God does not exist to being with.
I'm sure you would like to think the reciprocal is true, but it isn't. Positive assertions can be proven or disproven based on evidence. Every atheist here has said that if there was REAL evidence, we would change our minds.

But there isn't. And while maybe you can point to an incomplete Bronze Age book, a sunrise, and finding your car keys as evidence of God's existence, we atheists just find that silly.

We don't have to prove there isn't a god - just like you don't have to prove there is no Santa, or Rudolph, or that there's a microscopic Care Bear on your head giving your hair follicles the Care Bear Stare.

Just because Christianity is the majority opinion and that religion operates under the conceit of being the "default" position, that doesn't mean that religion gets a special dispensation to ignore logic or turn logic on it's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality