Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solve22 View Post
If there was evidence, everyone would be a believer, there would be no point in creation. No beauty, in choice between faith and no faith, good and evil. The fact that we can choose is the beauty in it.
There's nothing beautiful, or even desirable, about believing something in which there is no evidence. We don't choose to believe, we are either convinced of the evidence or we are not convinced. However, we can choose which evidence to consider and I choose ALL objective, falsifiable, verifiable evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Nothing. Because atheism is not logical any more than any other concept is logical. Humans are not objective beings, they will always have bias. Therefore, if they are dead-set against believing something, forget it.

So let's give it a rest guys, no amount of logic will convince anyone that you're right and they're wrong. So let's let it go, and move on to other religious questions.
Nonsense.

It's every bit as logical not to believe in your treasured version of God as it is to not believe in Zeus or Shiva or the Great Pumpkin.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, humans are biased towards believing in religion because they are afraid of death and want to live forever in some manner.
It is all wishful thinking. Nobody will survive death.
Our physical bodies definitely will not . . . but our consciousness is another matter.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Proof of the god of the bible?

A good first step would be to say what is meant, rather than needing around the push. And never mind that old meme about needing a holy Spirit to full you to understand.

That book is written wrote than a politician making promises.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 11,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Extraterrestrials really shouldn't be able to do things that are clearly impossible even in theoretical science. Reconstituting and reviving a cremated person, with memory and personality completely intact, I think might be impossible even in theory. Sending a material object to faster-than-light velocities is impossible so far as I know. There might be others.
Suspending the law of gravity is impossible also because gravity is actually the curvature of spacetime as very accurately described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Please see:

General relativity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-gravity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It would be so easy for an omnipotent god to show itself to all the people of Earth simultaneously and prove that it exists in no uncertain fashion.
That would work for me.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
I'd have to see it firsthand, or hear about it from a trusted friend, or see it on multiple news sites. Of course I'd remain skeptical though.

Nothing would convince me that miracles happened centuries ago though...no amount of historical evidence at all. The closest I'd get to believing ancient miracles occurred would be considering them probably untrue, but not terribly unlikely.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
As an agnostic, I asked myself that question this morning while I was out walking my dog, and I had to admit I was stumped. My first answer to myself was that I'd be convinced by a large-scale, old-fashioned, Biblical-style miracle: suspension of the law of gravity, the parting of the Red Sea, the raising of people who are dead beyond a doubt (i.e., beginning to decay), or an unequivocal message that everyone on the planet could hear in a language they could understand, and that they could later agree upon (at least as much as different human beings can agree on anything). But then I wondered, could we be sure that we weren't being fooled by some vastly technologically superior alien race that had decided to come to earth and was pretending to be God, for purposes unknown? As Arthur C. Clarke noted, any sufficiently advanced alien technology is indistinguishable from magic. I'd start asking lots of questions, such as, "Why have you been so ambiguous about your existence until now? And why have you appeared now? Why did you create a physical world, as opposed to creating souls and plunking us directly into the afterlife?" I suppose at some point it would either add up for me, or it wouldn't. If it did add up, I might consider the alien-hoax theory to be a remote possibliity, just as I now consider it to be a remote possibility that we're part of some Matrix-like virtual reality, or that there is an Abrahamic God.

How about others? What would convince you?
What would convince me would be for this god to make a dog from a cat like creationists keep insisting that evolution should be able to do. If he exists, surely he can do this, right? You know, ignore the laws of physics, and all that? Now THAT would be a miracle.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What would convince me would be for this god to make a dog from a cat like creationists keep insisting that evolution should be able to do. If he exists, surely he can do this, right? You know, ignore the laws of physics, and all that? Now THAT would be a miracle.
Along these lines, a confirmed living, crocoduck would certainly put a shiver down my spine.

Crocoduck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
It's a tricky question.

It would not take much to convince me in the existence of a superior being - you know, you're walking along the sidewalk one day, and some 12-foot tall angelic figure appears out of nowhere in a blazing pillar of fire and commands everyone to pay attention to what he has to say. Yep, if I saw that - and clearly everyone else was seeing it - I'd at least believe there was SOMETHING there, be it a superior being or an amazing example of technology.

But how to prove that it is God in the biblical sense? If the being in question acted in all manners such as God would, and clearly knew the whole of his religion, that would be a start, but then again, any being powerful enough to imitate God would probably be able to easily cover the more subtle aspects of his impersonation as well. It's hard to say at that point.

And yet, the reality remains... we live in a world lacking in justice or compassion, where evil is more often triumphant over good, and so many honest man and women suffer and die every day, pleading to countless deaf deities to show them a scrap of compassion. It would take so little effort on the part of such supposedly powerful beings to aid them, so their eternal silence on the matter speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality