Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times

Advertisements

Christian faith: Calvinism is back / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

There goes the neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
Quote:
Detractors, and there are many, see Calvin as a harsh theocrat who punished heretics (including one who was famously burned at the stake) while molding the city where he preached, Geneva, into a model of his fatalistic and hopeless ideology.
Let's hope they leave some things in the past when they're doing stuff for the glory of God.

Quote:
The Barna Group, a California-based research firm, recently did a survey to find out how many US adults hold a "biblical worldview" – for instance, believe that the Bible is totally accurate, that a person cannot earn their way into heavensimply by doing good, that God is the all-powerful creator of the universe

The result: a steeple-thin 9 percent. Among 18-to-23-year-olds, it was 0.5 percent, fewer people than might show up at a Lady Gaga concert. Even among "born again" Christians, it was only 19 percent.
Look, good news.

If these people think that not keeping it real enough is the problem, I say let them go right ahead and preach this silly doctrine. I'm willing to bet it'll be forgotten about in a few years.

Then maybe, just maybe, some will consider an agnostic/atheist point of view for some real "good news."

Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 PM

694 posts, read 745,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Then maybe, just maybe, some will consider an agnostic/atheist point of view for some real "good news."
Living in a Godless world that is doomed to detroy itself with no hope of escape "good news"?

Charles

Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Living in a Godless world that is doomed to detroy itself with no hope of escape "good news"?

Charles
Sorry, but I couldn't live with the dark pessimistic, paranoid outlook you have...I'm an optimist through and through, and I can see hope, where you only see darkness....

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM

425 posts, read 366,783 times
I look at it this way.When all hell breaks loose I can easily separate the wheat from the chaff of society. I wont be weeping for those who turned their backs .Faith has less value while times are good. Right now we are looking at world ripe for calamity. People deserve what they are gonna get and personally I am going to pop corn and watch it unfold with a nice glass of lemonade. My only other alternative would be to soil my pants and collapse under my own weight.That isn't going to happen to me , but there will be those who wont be able to cope. They had their chance , I am moving on.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
I look at it this way.When all hell breaks loose I can easily separate the wheat from the chaff of society. I wont be weeping for those who turned their backs .Faith has less value while times are good. Right now we are looking at world ripe for calamity. People deserve what they are gonna get and personally I am going to pop corn and watch it unfold with a nice glass of lemonade. My only other alternative would be to soil my pants and collapse under my own weight.That isn't going to happen to me , but there will be those who wont be able to cope. They had their chance , I am moving on.

Yes...I think that is best ...POPcorn with butter...and a little salt, for the wounded healers..

Eh...I said something like that just recently...Watching all while poping popcorn...While praying MORE WOE AND WRATH DEAR LORD...Plagues and pestulences too!

I was being somewhat serious...at the time....and then well the floods, the storms, the earthshaking started...

Yep the genetically modified popcorn tast alright...and I know Jesus said do not fear for this must come to pass...

I'm running out of corn...So now I have moved to chips and dip!

More woe is still on the menue!

Keep an eye out....

blessings be with you.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Don't you just love the Roman Circus image of the Celestial Emperor's pals all stuffing popcorn and communion wine while cheering at the spectacle of the godless screaming in torment as they fry endlessly. You people must be salivating at the thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality