Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:57 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times

Advertisements

Actually, Freud discussed this topic at great length in his book Totem and Taboo where he dissected a great many tribes of indigenous (what he referred to as 'primitive') peoples that forsake the copulation of family members. From what I recall, a lot of it was mired in the fact that indigenous tribal groups discovered very early on that inbreeding was a poor way to promote tribal stability due to the severe problems often associated with it. This "taboo" became formalized as a societal norm in many of the most primitive tribes via religious "totems.' I thought it was an interesting concept and a good example of how religious rituals and bylaws become incorporated into a societal belief.

Of course, Freud went on to talk about how the natural yearnings for incestuous relations with one's own mother became ingrained as an unconscious desire not just through individuals but collectively through society as well. He then further went on to talk about the feelings of 'emotional ambivalence' directed towards the mother figure whereby as much as one loves their mother, there are things about her that people hate but cannot admit to themselves. These "hateful feelings" or "emotional ambivalences" would thereby be projected onto other people and, ultimately, religious "totems." So, instead of saying, "I'm glad my mother is dead," (an extreme circumstance and scenario) one would be more prone to saying "The totem wanted my mother to die."

I became a little lost at his points after that but I do remember his summation whereby religious frames of thought become normalized as the collective feelings of guilt and shame over having killed the father figure. As a result, as if often depicted in religion - especially Christianity, is the killing of the father figure (the crucifixion of Jesus).

It's been quite a while since I read the book and I'm afraid I may have missed a few key elements but that's essentially what I remember from his discussion. It's certainly an interesting concept, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
^^ You're talking about the Oedipus (for boys) and the Electra (for girls) complex. Freud's Psychosexual theories are still taught but as only one of many different perspectives of development. Freud was a little too obsessed with sex for my liking, he believed the resolution of this complex was key to the development of the individual. The conflict of these feelings causing the child to take on the sex-role characteristics of the same-sex parent.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Common schmommon. If one's Spirit is not completely repulsed by the very thought of such an act . . . the wrong Spirit abides there. The individuals who do engage in this activity are deranged and psychologically damaged people.
Who are you to stand in judgment of someone else's psychological health? And what does the question have to do with whatever "spirit" abides in someone?

The answer is rooted in what we consider culturally acceptable, not in whether it's yucky or against some religious moral code. Personally speaking, it's not something I'd never do, but if two consenting adults want to be intimate with each other, it's really none of my business, no matter what their relationship is to each other. I would just hope they take precautions not to reproduce.

Didn't Noah's daughters sleep with him?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Who are you to stand in judgment of someone else's psychological health? And what does the question have to do with whatever "spirit" abides in someone?

The answer is rooted in what we consider culturally acceptable, not in whether it's yucky or against some religious moral code. Personally speaking, it's not something I'd never do, but if two consenting adults want to be intimate with each other, it's really none of my business, no matter what their relationship is to each other. I would just hope they take precautions not to reproduce.

Didn't Noah's daughters sleep with him?
Refer to bolded portion above:

Better watch those double negatives...

Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
I think it's immoral and unhealthy. If you look at medievil Europe where, in the nobility, family members would marry each, the children would then have deformities disabilities that could have been prevented if the child was not concieved through an incestuous relationship.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I think it's immoral and unhealthy. If you look at medieval Europe where, in the nobility, family members would marry each, the children would then have deformities disabilities that could have been prevented if the child was not conceived through an incestuous relationship.
This is an argument against procreative incest, but what about non-procreative incest? Could a post-menopausal woman have sex with her brother? Or two brothers have sex with each other or two sisters do likewise?

Maybe that's joshing you a bit. As I understand people are generally "imprinted" to someone they were raised with so to have sex with such a person is psychologically unhealthy. Even if the person is an adopted brother or sister if you were raised as siblings sex is psychologically unhealthy or the desire a sign of something weird. I believe in the case of the Pharaohs they were fairly often marrying half-siblings who were raised by a different mother than themselves.

Still if a post-menopausal woman found out she had a long-lost fraternal twin I'm not sure a sexual relationship with him could be rationally condemned. There is no psychological imprinting or chance of recessive gene inheritance. Morally I think it's icky, but my morals don't have to derive from reason.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Um ewww lol...just gross....

I vote immoral....50 billion (give or take a billion? lol) people on the planet, I'm sure you can find someone else to have sexual relations with.

And yes very unhealthy and because you know the product that can come out of it, you have to be immoral still going ahead with it all.
We're still just under 7 billion. Someone had to say it.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is an argument against procreative incest, but what about non-procreative incest? Could a post-menopausal woman have sex with her brother? Or two brothers have sex with each other or two sisters do likewise?

Maybe that's joshing you a bit. As I understand people are generally "imprinted" to someone they were raised with so to have sex with such a person is psychologically unhealthy. Even if the person is an adopted brother or sister if you were raised as siblings sex is psychologically unhealthy or the desire a sign of something weird. I believe in the case of the Pharaohs they were fairly often marrying half-siblings who were raised by a different mother than themselves.

Still if a post-menopausal woman found out she had a long-lost fraternal twin I'm not sure a sexual relationship with him could be rationally condemned. There is no psychological imprinting or chance of recessive gene inheritance. Morally I think it's icky, but my morals don't have to derive from reason.
I hadn't thought of that. It seems that rationally, nonprocreative incest that doesn't harm anyone(such as if one didn't have an STD which they could pass on) couldn't be condemned. I'd have to agree with you that it would also be psychologically unhealthy to desire to have sex with someone blood related. From an evolutionary point of view, the sex drive is for procreation, which is probably the subconscious reason that most people find it repulsive.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:55 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
Reading another thread, I began wondering about incest. Many claim incest is immoral. Scientifically, incest has been shown to reduce the population's gene pool, making organisms more vulnerable to diseases and limiting the process of evolution.

Do you think incest is immoral or just unhelpful for the process of evolution? If immoral, is this from a religious or personal perspective?
Any other thoughts and opinions? Please share!
I think some people are already dipping into the shallow end of the gene pool and most of their family trees look like a walking sticks.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
Reading another thread, I began wondering about incest. Many claim incest is immoral. Scientifically, incest has been shown to reduce the population's gene pool, making organisms more vulnerable to diseases and limiting the process of evolution.

Do you think incest is immoral or just unhelpful for the process of evolution? If immoral, is this from a religious or personal perspective?
Any other thoughts and opinions? Please share!
Are humans going to become extinct if we have less babies due to incest? i do not think so. So to me that logic has no validity today.
Another point, what is the percentage of the world population in incestous relationships? Is it that great to affect world population?
However, I have read that babies of incest can have some physical or medical problems. For the sake of them if a couple want to get married and say they will not have any babies, is that OK then? That would solve the gene pool problem also and I still do not think I would affect the world population.
If someone consider it immoral, it is not for someone else to impose moral views on others, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality