Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times

Advertisements

I don't know... I just think it's icky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Just sick!!!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
You mean to tell me you guys don't believe in the ole saying from the back woods, "Incest is best put your relatives to the test". LOL

Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
You mean to tell me you guys don't believe in the ole saying from the back woods, "Incest is best put your relatives to the test". LOL
Lol!

Its nasty and yes very unhealthy and leads to kids with defects.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:57 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol!

Its nasty and yes very unhealthy and leads to kids with defects.
That ain'ts funny is it sister, we'll keep-a-try'in til we havs a young'n with only two eye's.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,545 times
I don't think that a statement like "People who engage in incest are psychologically damaged people" can stand up to the test of statistical proof. If 2.3% of Americans have ever been involved in incest during their lifetimes, why do we not have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people in jail or psych treatment for incest? 2.3% works out to be 7,425,000 people. Where are those millions of deformed, retarded babies?

It is unreasonable to make something illegal that does not result in social harm of some kind. Obviously, MOST people would not choose an incestuous relationship, and have not done so. But where are the statistics showing the social harm that decriminalizing incest would do?

We already have laws against child molestation.
We already have laws against rape.
We already have laws against exploiting the elderly (Ewww.)

From what I can see, especially with brother-sister or first cousin incest, the main damage comes not from the incest, but from the condemnation and punitive attitude of society.

I think what we should do is "de-criminalize" incest, but not "legalize" it. In other words, no courts or prisons, but no marriage or children either. And, like homosexuality, let people who are not so inclined simply not involve themselves in it in any way.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Believe it? I've never even heard it.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I don't think that a statement like "People who engage in incest are psychologically damaged people" can stand up to the test of statistical proof. If 2.3% of Americans have ever been involved in incest during their lifetimes, why do we not have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people in jail or psych treatment for incest? 2.3% works out to be 7,425,000 people. Where are those millions of deformed, retarded babies?

It is unreasonable to make something illegal that does not result in social harm of some kind. Obviously, MOST people would not choose an incestuous relationship, and have not done so. But where are the statistics showing the social harm that decriminalizing incest would do?

We already have laws against child molestation.
We already have laws against rape.
We already have laws against exploiting the elderly (Ewww.)

From what I can see, especially with brother-sister or first cousin incest, the main damage comes not from the incest, but from the condemnation and punitive attitude of society.

I think what we should do is "de-criminalize" incest, but not "legalize" it. In other words, no courts or prisons, but no marriage or children either. And, like homosexuality, let people who are not so inclined simply not involve themselves in it in any way.
Wow, you really need to learn more. Incest does not lead to healthy offspring. The act itself is not the issue but what may result in such couplings. These laws were not based on an eww factor but obvious observations on genetic deficiencies before man understood genetics.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Well this one is easy.Those of us,both theists and atheists,who don't believe in the Adam and Eve creation story will say it is a moot point because there were never just the children of A/E to have to sleep together to multiply.It is a myth.

Those who believe the creation story will say that no,it is not immoral,because God ordained it to happen that way.

Unless,of course,after creating Adam and Eve Smith,He got distracted and forgot to create Fred and Ethel Jones so the Smith and Jones kids would have non siblings to procreate with.Then again,communal incest and the subsequent retardation could explain why we elected GWB twice.

Inbreedi.g in and of itself does not cause retardation

Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
Reading another thread, I began wondering about incest. Many claim incest is immoral. Scientifically, incest has been shown to reduce the population's gene pool, making organisms more vulnerable to diseases and limiting the process of evolution.

Do you think incest is immoral or just unhelpful for the process of evolution? If immoral, is this from a religious or personal perspective?
Any other thoughts and opinions? Please share!
It's immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality