Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,250,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that there's no God out there who's looking out for me. People drown everyday and die in every imaginable situation you can think of but God never shows up at the last second to rescue them.
How do you know that God doesn't rescue any of them? The ones God "showed up for at the last second to rescue" didn't die so you don't hear about them. . . .

I have been in some pretty hairy situations and I have called out to God and he rescued me. . I'm still here. So see, he does answer prayers. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,593,684 times
spunky1 wrote:
Quote:
How do you know that God doesn't rescue any of them?
I knew I'd get a reply to my comments. Do you ever notice that if there's been a terrible accident of some kind that when someone survives people will say it's a miracle and when they die they say that it was God's will? No matter what the outcome is there's an explanation that either praises God for the miraculous event or tells us how mysterious God is and how we wouldn't be able to understand his master plan anyway.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:44 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,313,164 times
Quote:
spunky1 wrote:

I knew I'd get a reply to my comments. Do you ever notice that if there's been a terrible accident of some kind that when someone survives people will say it's a miracle and when they die they say that it was God's will? No matter what the outcome is there's an explanation that either praises God for the miraculous event or tells us how mysterious God is and how we wouldn't be able to understand his master plan anyway.
This is usually how the Christian views it because we understand that God is in control of everything and nothing happens to us that He didn't know was going to happen and we trust Him.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,507,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is usually how the Christian views it because we understand that God is in control of everything and nothing happens to us that He didn't know was going to happen and we trust Him.
This doesn't seem to be practical in any sense. If we determine motive based on outcome, then we cannot predict anything with any amount of accuracy. Indeed, whether one lives or dies is entirely arbitrary from our point of view, based on the unknown will of a being. This is contrary to the meaning of "trust."

One can have blind trust or trust God in other ways, but as it pertains to the questions posed by MontanaGuy, we cannot apply trust in any meaningful way because we must await the outcome to determine the reason/will/motivation of God.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,250,562 times
Quote:
spunky1 wrote:

MontanaGuy MontanaGuy MontanaGuy. . what are we going to do with you!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,455,627 times
An athiest is sure of his unbelief..An agnostic is unsure if he believes..A fallen away christian believes, and turns his back.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:11 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,313,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This doesn't seem to be practical in any sense. If we determine motive based on outcome, then we cannot predict anything with any amount of accuracy. Indeed, whether one lives or dies is entirely arbitrary from our point of view, based on the unknown will of a being. This is contrary to the meaning of "trust."

One can have blind trust or trust God in other ways, but as it pertains to the questions posed by MontanaGuy, we cannot apply trust in any meaningful way because we must await the outcome to determine the reason/will/motivation of God.
Well all I can tell you is I know Him, I have a relationship with Him and I trust Him. And I think this is getting "off topic".

Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,455,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post
Hello, my name as you may have guessed is Carl. I was brought into this world by a non practicing Catholic mother and an non practicing Protestant father.
They decided not to take their children to church, claiming they could not decide which faith to follow. Consequently I have never really belonged to a church, although I feel drawn to the Lord.
I have no proper teaching and harrdly ever went to church, yet I pray often and feel a strong connection when I do so. (extreme chills) I am in my forties and a single divorced father of a teenager who lives with me full time.
In my heart, I think I should join a church and am leaning toward becoming a Catholic. I would like the same for my child. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me? I am quite confused because I don't know the details between most beliefs.
I have been told by some to look into becoming a Lutheran, I just don't know..
Thanks for any advice.
Carl, sounds to me like God is working in you..You feel God near when you pray. He will lead you where he wants you to be..Follow your instincts and you will find your place where you feel the most comfortable. For years, I followed the path that family wanted me to follow and was unhappy. I asked God to give me the courage to make a stand and he did..Now I am comfortable to worship with most any religion. My advice is pray, listen and learn from the voice within you.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,507,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well all I can tell you is I know Him, I have a relationship with Him and I trust Him.
I realize this, which I why I stated that such trust is irrelevant to the questions posed by MontanaGuy.
Quote:
And I think this is getting "off topic".
Yes, imagine that!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM

124 posts, read 396,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why were you a Christian once?
I might have been. I was baptized in the Southern Baptist church, attended church often and did a lot singing in the choir but still not sure I was ever a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality