Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM

433 posts, read 585,867 times

Advertisements

Faith of all kinds are all bad (no exception).

Humans naturally maintain healthy skepticism on everything (demanding reasonable evidence supports). However, they also can be coerced and brainwashed into believing lies and giving up questionings on certain things -- this is bad.

Last edited by Vic235; 04-25-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,953,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Does that include the faith that empirical evidence is the be all, end all of everything, the faith that Reason is the best way to answer every question and the faith that science can or will answer every question? No exceptions means no exceptions...

how about the faith of scientism? Is that faith also bad?

"Parapsychology and Scientism" by Charley Tart from Enlightenment.Com interview#

Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,011,343 times
I believe he is talking about religious faith...You know, belief in the unprovable...Science has evidence (no faith required) and you should thank science for all it's done for you. Moderator cut: Off topic

Sorry, I don't have hours to spend on your videos.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-26-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,831,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I believe he is talking about religious faith...You know, belief in the unprovable...Science has evidence (no faith required) and you should thank science for all it's done for you. Moderator cut: Orphaned

Sorry, I don't have hours to spend on your videos.

Thanks, Sanspeur, an altruist that is humble. You know, Reagan wasn't really so humble. And besides we can truly relive our human nature form other periods of history.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-26-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,231,653 times
Good morning, everyone!

This thread has veered way off topic. It is NOT a 'debate science and technology' thread. I am re-posting the OP, as a little 'reminder.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic235

Have you seen someone who can only recite some verses when challenged? Totally lost the ability to use his own brain.

Let's try and keep it ON TOPIC, people, okay?

Thanks,

~June

Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,502,790 times
Quote:
Have you seen someone who can only recite some verses when challenged? Totally lost the ability to use his own brain.
yes, i have even come to see such beings, too.

no judgment, however, like your second sentence.

\!!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,477,938 times
Quote:

Humans naturally maintain healthy skepticism on everything.
Evidence of this please.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM

433 posts, read 585,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Evidence of this please.
Faith can cause people being "raised and taught brainlessly" -- ending up only capable of citing verses all the time -- using Bible to prove Bible (circular logic).

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,882,084 times
Default What he really means is.....

Vic; even though you're an avowed atheist, I think you're on pretty shaky ground here from your initla OP! Perhaps you should re-think and refine your OP's prime question. I've run into a lot of what can only be described as fundamentalist atheistic perspectives from those who, once entrenched, won't budge on their perspective.

Of course we atheists claim a more "intellectual" perspective, one that is better supported by "vast empirical evidence" (true...), but we still build a certain shell of beliefs around our mindset. Esp. as we "Age"...

Likewise, the deeply religious who do not care to explore and question all thta is presented to them by their appoined church fathers, are perhaps no more guilty than us from this particular point?

Quote:
What if you believed in a wrong God? What will happen to you in afterlife? It's all infinite gains and losses -- pretty big gamble there.
Still... it's a matter of perspective, no? Even if they are wrong!

Quote:
Actually, this is a functionally incorrect statement, Vic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic325
Humans naturally maintain healthy skepticism on everything (demanding reasonable evidence supports). However, they also can be coerced and brainwashed into believing lies and giving up questionings on certain things -- this is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Actually, you only think you have a chance. You don't have any evidence to base it on.

And Vic...please don't turn into a caricature of your "enemies". Starting troll threads about the stupidity of god-believers is just as stupid as one of them starting a thread about how we're all worthless heathens who don't know right from wrong.

So please stop making the rest of us look bad.
Agreed. Vic: take another run at explaining it please!~ Thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,477,938 times
Quote:
Faith can cause people being "raised and taught brainlessly" -- ending up only capable of citing verses all the time -- using Bible to prove Bible (circular logic).
That doesn't really answer my question. So let me try again.

You said "Humans naturally maintain healthy skepticism on everything." I think that could be true, but the part where you say "on everything" seems like it might be going too far. So what's your evidence that people have "healthy skepticism" in all cases without exception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality