Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule
Have you seen someone who can only cite past research and past knowledge that he was taught when challenged?
I haven't met any but I suppose there may be those that cite past knowledge, etc. when challenged, but at least what they are citing has a body of evidence, gathered and tested by others...What do believers in creation have?....No evidence at all, so all they can do is quote the bible....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
But, I am talking about "raised and taught" in a religious sense -- not your normal "raised" and "taught" -- the question is: can it be normal?

You were talking about "taught" in a school science class (not faith-based"). I think that is a normal "teaching" versus religious "teaching". I think there are differences. Religious people can not tell the difference.
Religious teaching for a long time, and still is part of the "norm".

I'm an atheist - just thought I would state that, just so you don't go off in some other direction ignoring what I have said, like some religious people.
You need to think a little more about what you are saying.
Calling someone "brainless", is an attempt to make the seem less then human. I am disgusted with you attempt to dehumanize religious people.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM

433 posts, read 587,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Oh com'on...you are raised and taught whatever you are taught. That would include information about WHATEVER. Why should being taught religious doctrine be any different than being taught anything else?

A kid is taught "ABCs", reading, writing, arithmetic, history, science, geography, moral doctrines, etc. He didn't research any of it...if you ask him what he knows about it...he will tell you what he knows, based on nothing else other than what he was taught. And from your perspective that wouldn't demonstrate lack of brain power. BUT, if he was taught a religious doctrine...and you asked him what he knew about it...and he told you what he knew, based on nothing else other than what he was taught...you think that WOULD demonstrate lack of brain power?

You can call the information of the religious doctrine "wrong"...but you can't say learning, and then recalling THAT information, demonstrative of the person lacking cognitive ability. That's ridiculous...and frankly, the proposition lowers the Atheist stock, in that it appears you are "grabbing at straws" to try to say ANYTHING to discredit someone being taught religious doctrine.
The difference is faith -- nothing else in the world is faith-based; the only thing faith-based is religion.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Oh yes you do. EVERYBODY does. You need FAITH in WHATEVER you believe...since nothing is 100% certain or infallible. Faith that what you think you know has merit. Faith that it's accurate...because it might not be. You need faith in people. Faith in your ability. Faith in ANYTHING!!!!

You may not "do" religion...but you "do" faith. Or you're incapable of normal thought.

You are so hung up on being anti-religion, you have narrowed the meaning of the word "faith" to just religion.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-26-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I haven't met any but I suppose there may be those that cite past knowledge, etc. when challenged, but at least what they are citing has a body of evidence, gathered and tested by others...What do believers in creation have?....No evidence at all, so all they can do is quote the bible....
That's the tough part about debating some of the atheists on this board...guys like rifleman, and his caliber (nice pun, huh?)...they WILL on occasion actually be giving you information they themselves did the research on. Which doesn't bother me...MOF it impresses the hell out of me.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The difference is faith -- nothing else in the world is faith-based; the only thing faith-based is religion.
EVERYTHING is faith based. LIFE is faith based. You can have...or lose...FAITH in anything.

Unfortunately...my newest faith based experience...is my LOSING faith in your ability to see how insulting and lame your argument is...........
Faith = Stupidity......Learning religious doctrine = Brainlessness. That's not cool, man! I would never say learning scientific principles instead of religious doctrine, is foolish or somehow detrimental.

Expand you mind Brother....take it ALLLLLLLLLLL in. It makes for a richer, fuller life experience.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
What I am saying is posts like your's which are intended as an attempt to challenge people of faith fall flat.

If this is the best you can do then at best you strenghten the faith of folk like me.

You need to come up with something stronger if you want to make me think my faith in God is.......wrong

Last edited by june 7th; 04-26-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM

433 posts, read 587,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What I am saying is posts like your's which are intended as an attempt to challenge people of faith fall flat.

If this is the best you can do then at best you strenghten the faith of folk like me.

You need to come up with something stronger if you want to make me think my faith in God is.......wrong
What if you believed in a wrong God? What will happen to you in afterlife? It's all infinite gains and losses -- pretty big gamble there.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
What if you believed in a wrong God? What will happen to you in afterlife? It's all infinite gains and losses -- pretty big gamble there.
I got no worries.

How 'bout you?

If I am wrong you and I are in the same place. No loss. If not the loss is on you.

But truth be told I have too many experiences/subjective evidendences that tell me I am right.

What do you have that tells you you are right?

Proofs that your POV is correct?

As for me I chose to go with the God who created all

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-24-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Even if it is a big gamble...then it's like the lottery...you can't win if you don't play.

The Believers at least have a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality