Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Well just say: it's not a lie because ______. (fill the blank with evidence)

Otherwise admit such falsehood. (no wrath involved here)
I can.
In general.
There were different Gods. There are Gods who are very old ancestors with a wide experience. There are other "Gods". They compete to other Gods \ Choose to itself army of "elite". Promising any bonuses.

Last edited by eloy; 04-27-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Okay. It's not a lie because: the person saying it believed it and therefore had no intent of deceit. (blank filled in)

How does that work for ya?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM

433 posts, read 586,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay. It's not a lie because: the person saying it believed it and therefore had no intent of deceit. (blank filled in)

How does that work for ya?
Not too good for any organized religion.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:

Otherwise admit such falsehood. (no wrath involved here)
It's not a lie because I asked God to send me His Love, to let me feel His Love and how much He loved me. He sent it. I asked God to show me the truth about where we came from and why we're here. He showed me. I asked God to not give me any bs in regards to His Truth. He gave me all but the bs.

You may think it's a lie but unless you have walked in my shoes, you have no understanding of the God I do believe in and have come to know. Keep thinking it's a lie. You'll find out after you die, if you have an open mind.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's not a lie because I asked God to send me His Love, to let me feel His Love and how much He loved me. He sent it. I asked God to show me the truth about where we came from and why we're here. He showed me. I asked God to not give me any bs in regards to His Truth. He gave me all but the bs.
Why don't you ask him to end starvation or eliminate cancer. Let's see what happens.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Wow. God's a business.
Well, maybe god (whatever it is) isn't, but the American Christian Church has made it into an exceedingly profitable business. Just ask guys like Benny Hinn, Mardel Bookstores or publishers of contemporary Christian music.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why don't you ask him to end starvation or eliminate cancer. Let's see what happens.
It doesn't work that way. We did those things. We have to fix them. God will not solve our material problems for us. Now if you ask Him to bring a smile to a lonely person, send love to the downhearted or to brighten someones day, He will. God isn't interested in what is material. All those things belong to the material. Pray for spiritual things and I bet you He'll answer you before you even get done with the asking.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
God will not solve our material problems for us. Now if you ask Him to bring a smile to a lonely person, send love to the downhearted or to brighten someones day, He will. God isn't interested in what is material. ... Pray for spiritual things and I bet you He'll answer you before you even get done with the asking.

Directly contradicts many years of my experience.

I like your idea of God Reverend, it is certainly more palatable than many. But God never cheered me up when I asked, never comforted me when I feared, never brought hope when I despaired and certainly never brought a smile when I was exhausted and depressed.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Directly contradicts many years of my experience.

I like your idea of God Reverend, it is certainly more palatable than many. But God never cheered me up when I asked, never comforted me when I feared, never brought hope when I despaired and certainly never brought a smile when I was exhausted and depressed.
Maybe you weren't looking in the right places.

In my own experience, when I'm having a bad day, He will put people in my path who are full of joy and laughter. If I'm worried about something, He will put a friend in my path that is willing to listen without condescending or being judgemental. If I ask a question that I can't solve on my own, He will send someone to me that has the answer. Are you sure you have not heard His voice working through us all? Those are just a few ways of hearing His voice when we cannot hear Him on the inside. He's there. Always and in All Ways.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Maybe you weren't looking in the right places.

In my own experience, when I'm having a bad day, He will put people in my path who are full of joy and laughter. If I'm worried about something, He will put a friend in my path that is willing to listen without condescending or being judgemental. If I ask a question that I can't solve on my own, He will send someone to me that has the answer. Are you sure you have not heard His voice working through us all? Those are just a few ways of hearing His voice when we cannot hear Him on the inside. He's there. Always and in All Ways.
You're partially right.

When I stopped looking for God to take care of me, and started taking care of myself, things got all better. I rejected god, and found hope and happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality