Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm at it again. In a normal pregnancy there's about a 50% chance of having a boy or a girl. What I'm asking believers is whether or not God deliberately chose the sex of the child born to the Virgin Mary to be a male and intentionally excluded the possibility of that child to be a female. If the answer is yes I'd like to hear an explanation for why this was necessary. Does anyone besides myself find it very convenient for a religion that originated in a male dominated society to have God cause a woman to become pregnant with a son as opposed to a daughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
It did work out very well for the Church, didn't it?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
A woman would have had more difficulty gaining followers in the Mideast of that era. Granted as God it could be done, but "zapping" people's minds to get them to follow would've weakened free-will. Also children are more alienated from their fathers, on average, so a male role-model is more important on average.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Fred314X wrote:
Quote:
It did work out very well for the Church, didn't it?
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid I was going to suffer the embarrassment of having this thread quickly go to page 2 and be forgotten. I actually think it's a pretty good question and I agree that the Christian faith has spread all over the world with it's basic message that the Savior of the human race was a man. What I'm really thinking is that the concept of a daughter of God would never have been accepted in ancient times and if Christianity would have promoted such a concept that it would have been forgotten and lost to history.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Of course the choice was a deliberate action of God..Who would have listened to a woman who was no more than a slave to her husband or a concubine for the king..A woman would have been stoned to death the first time she spoke in public, let alone get the apostles to follow her during the 3 year ministry..Men today of many of the religions still treat the women like slaves or as the second choice of God..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Of course the choice was a deliberate action of God..Who would have listened to a woman who was no more than a slave to her husband or a concubine for the king..A woman would have been stoned to death the first time she spoke in public, let alone get the apostles to follow her during the 3 year ministry..Men today of many of the religions still treat the women like slaves or as the second choice of God..

Yea, look what the Roman Catholic Church did to Mary Magdalene...

Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Many many Christians can't stand the idea of God menstruating.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
For, if she were hot, she'd have been hit on all through her ministry??
Or, alternatively, she could have attracted many new followers. And she wouldn't have had to utter a single word to do it. One appearance with a particularly short robe, and her ministry would've been off and running.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:54 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Yes, I'm at it again. In a normal pregnancy there's about a 50% chance of having a boy or a girl. What I'm asking believers is whether or not God deliberately chose the sex of the child born to the Virgin Mary to be a male and intentionally excluded the possibility of that child to be a female. If the answer is yes I'd like to hear an explanation for why this was necessary. Does anyone besides myself find it very convenient for a religion that originated in a male dominated society to have God cause a woman to become pregnant with a son as opposed to a daughter?
Shucks...the whole deal is a man made thing. Why do you think all religions treat the women in a way which demeans and lowers them? Mankind realized that they had something worth a lot more than what he had so they immediately began to make them obey and keep it covered.

Look at the reward in Islam when a man dies in a Jihad...72 virgins for all eternity waiting for his beck and call. No wonder those folks strap on C4 and set it off.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
She would have complained about having a bad hair day throughout all of her journeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality