Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
so instead of making a 20ft coin with all of God's names written on it then just write one word which they can all fit into- God--problem solved -no!
Over night I became a sun worshipper...well, the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Over night I became a sun worshipper...well, the next morning.
-

one question -how did you worship the sun that night

Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
-

one question -how did you worship the sun that night
I had to wait a few hours. I worshipped a lot the next day.

See...I'm kinda funny that way. I have to see something before I worship it.

Even that doesn't always work. I worshipped my first wife and what a fiasco that turned into.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
When I was a boy in the early 1940's my third and fourth grade school teachers assigned each one of us a bible verse on Monday and we had to recite it before the class on Friday. If teachers anywhere in the country tried that today things would bind up in a hurry.

When I was a boy in the 1990s, the teachers assigned me "critical thinking" test and drilled into me about "Reason" and "logic". As I got older, I discovered that Rationalism and Empiricism were but two philosophical schools of thought amongst many and that many philosophers blasted the sciences and Rationalism.

I will agree that any and all Bible study should be removed from public schools HOWEVER, with kids being brainwashed by scientific and Rationalist propaganda in American public schools, I would support any and all efforts to make philosophy a part of the curriculum so that they learn that there are alternative ways of thinking other the "SEIGE HEIL!" of Reason.

Quote:
A group of religious zealots approached the secretary of the treasury during the civil war and all but demanded that "In God We Trust" be added to our legal tender. That should be removed.
It should be replaced with "Powered by Faith", because faith is all that makes money what it is. The government convinces everyone that money is more valuable than any other paper with ink on it simply because they say so and because of the belief in it's value and only because of the belief in it's value that money is what it is. If everyone woke up tomorrow, looked at money and suddenly realized "hey! This is just paper with ink on it!" the economy would collapse. Hence, money is "powered by Faith"

Quote:
The phrase "Under God" was added to our pledge of allegiance in 1954 during the McCarthy era. That should be removed.
It should be replaced with "One nation under Ideas" (capital "I") because it was Ideas, not Reason and sure as hell not science that created this country.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
How about replacing the year 2010 with 234(since our Independence)too.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It should be replaced with "One nation under Ideas" (capital "I") because it was Ideas, not Reason and sure as hell not science that created this country.

The science of government is my duty. ... I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. ~John Adams~

It is well known, that on the Ohio, and in many parts of America further north, tusks, grinders, and skeletons of unparalleled magnitude are found in great numbers, some lying on the surface of the earth, and some a little below it ... But to whatever animal we ascribe these remains, it is certain that such a one has existed in America, and that it has been the largest of all terrestrial beings.

~Thomas Jefferson~ Notes on the State of Virginia (1782)

Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
The science of government is my duty. ... I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. ~John Adams~
Science of government? Yes. Was it science that made them think that such a small, pathetic little force of peasants could stand against the most powerful super power on Earth? No. That was sheer, irrational Idealism.
Quote:
It is well known, that on the Ohio, and in many parts of America further north, tusks, grinders, and skeletons of unparalleled magnitude are found in great numbers, some lying on the surface of the earth, and some a little below it ... But to whatever animal we ascribe these remains, it is certain that such a one has existed in America, and that it has been the largest of all terrestrial beings.

~Thomas Jefferson~ Notes on the State of Virginia (1782)
So? Anyone can observe that.

Ohh, and if you want to see real Reason at work...

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality