Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times

Advertisements

this is a serious question-how can anyone be happy knowing that someon else especially someone they love are being tortured-just try it out in your head for a second-your best freind gets kidnaped bye pirates and is being tortured everyday-excrutiating pain-do you go around your daily buisness singing and laughing-I doubt it-

you would be worried and do whatever it took to get them back-if you could get them back then you would-but you might not have the power or knowledge-but if you did then you would

so why think that God is goin to witness an eternal suffering to His children-and if you were in His position would you allow it to happen-?or would you step in and do something due to commpassion?

the fact that we suffer here is enough to realize that at times we are being punished due to whatever-karma-it is temporary-but to think that the innevitability of most of mankind is to suffer for eternity and it is God's system of life then i think people realy need to look inside theselves and ask their heart's honestly-what would be the righteuos and just thing to do and does God show commpassion,tolerance, patience,and understanding to us- the fallen soul's.after all their is a meaning to unconditional love-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post

this is a serious question-how can anyone be happy knowing that someon else especially someone they love are being tortured-just try it out in your head for a second-your best freind gets kidnaped bye pirates and is being tortured everyday-excrutiating pain-do you go around your daily buisness singing and laughing-I doubt it-

you would be worried and do whatever it took to get them back-if you could get them back then you would-but you might not have the power or knowledge-but if you did then you would

so why think that God is goin to witness an eternal suffering to His children-and if you were in His position would you allow it to happen-?or would you step in and do something due to commpassion?

the fact that we suffer here is enough to realize that at times we are being punished due to whatever-karma-it is temporary-but to think that the innevitability of most of mankind is to suffer for eternity and it is God's system of life then i think people realy need to look inside theselves and ask their heart's honestly-what would be the righteuos and just thing to do and does God show commpassion,tolerance, patience,and understanding to us- the fallen soul's.after all their is a meaning to unconditional love-
A good question, which raises more questions.

The nature of reality is one. If the teachings in the NT are true and those who reject Christ will be in hell for eternity then it is God's plan and who are we to argue with God. He's the boss and we owe our very existance to Him. Plus it is a matter of choice. We chose whether to reject Jesus.

So it might seem a bit cold, but people who reject Jesus and end up seperated from God for all eternity have no one to blame but themselves. It like your friend and the pirates. He wasn't kidnaped so much as he made the choice to get on their boat.

OTOH if the teachings of the NT are not true then no worries and your OP is merely an academic excercise.

As for me I submit to God and trust in His will. One of the promises is that in Heaven we will have joy and peace. I am not sure how that works, but.....

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-28-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A good question, which raises more questions.

The nature of reality is one. If the teachings in the NT are true and those who reject Christ will be in hell for eternity then it is God's plan and who are we to argue with God. He's the boss and we owe our very existance to Him.

OTOH if the teachings of the NT are not true then no worries and your OP is merely academic.

As for me I submit to God and trust in His will.
me too and i'm 100% certain that although there is a punishment for every wrong doing-reap what you sow-that their is no eternal hell-because logic and reason tell me that if their is a God then He is a GOOD one and as i said all you have to do is ask yourself how much this person can love-then you will find the awnser regardless of NT or OT-the heart already knows-but there are people who will quote these bible verses and say that what was meant is eternal torture for non beleivers and stuff-but if what they say contradicts God's GOOD charachter and justice then how true are their statements realy

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

. Plus it is a matter of choice. We chose whether to reject Jesus.

So it might seem a bit cold, but people who reject Jesus and end up seperated from God for all eternity have no one to blame but themselves. It like your friend and the pirates. He wasn't kidnaped so much as he made the choice to get on their boat.
yeah but not everyone is goin to hear about Jesus so it cant be just up to whether you accept someone that was here 2000 years ago as the son of God or not-what about all the people born before Jesus,-what about all the people born in different cultures-all the children that will die before understanding religion, and the fact that God knows the choice that is going to be made before we even come here-

Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
yeah but not everyone is goin to hear about Jesus so it cant be just up to whether you accept someone that was here 2000 years ago as the son of God or not-what about all the people born before Jesus,-what about all the people born in different cultures-all the children that will die before understanding religion, and the fact that God knows the choice that is going to be made before we even come here-
You can't reject Jesus if you never heard the messege. God judges those who reject, not those who never heard.
John 3:36 says:

36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

433 posts, read 586,999 times
Cursing others such as saying others will go to hell is under the cover of "deity's moral absolutes" -- religious people think they got a God on their side, they will be always moral.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:

This is one of the many reasons why I rejected orthodox (lower case "o") ages ago. If I am to "love my neighbor", than wouldn't it make sense that I love them so much that I try to save them from hell, even if I am dead and in heaven? Makes no sense.

We Gnostics are of the opinion that, if an after life of pure nirvana does exist, the state of being will be so much that it destroys the person we are. The price of transcendents is annhilation. Much like water changes it's being completely to become steam, we must allow ourselves to be changed completely to enter the kingdom of Heaven...
...ohh, and it never says one has to die to get to heaven. It is just a state of being, not necessarily an after-life.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
You can't reject Jesus if you never heard the messege. God judges those who reject, not those who never heard.

36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."
so it would be better off just not hearing-so would it be better then to be born a hindu in the middle of the jungle somewhere in India?

and now you have just quoted these verses the way i was talking about-are you sure you know exactly what they mean?

this is my point-if your interpretation of those verses makes God out to be cruel and unable to forgive and show commpassion,tolerance and patience then is it an accurate one.

Jesus even said that what good is it to love those who love you for it is even better to be able to love your enemy,now if that was a message from God-then what does that tell you about His character.

their is no limit to God's mercy if you put a limit onto Him its not Him your talkin about-and He is definitly not limited to one bunch of people

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is one of the many reasons why I rejected orthodox (lower case "o") ages ago. If I am to "love my neighbor", than wouldn't it make sense that I love them so much that I try to save them from hell, even if I am dead and in heaven? Makes no sense.

We Gnostics are of the opinion that, if an after life of pure nirvana does exist, the state of being will be so much that it destroys the person we are. The price of transcendents is annhilation. Much like water changes it's being completely to become steam, we must allow ourselves to be changed completely to enter the kingdom of Heaven...
...ohh, and it never says one has to die to get to heaven. It is just a state of being, not necessarily an after-life.
I think what your describing there is the impersonalists view of ultimate reality-to merge with the Brahman effulgence-but their are even higher existences that can be reached-where the identity isnt annihalated only enhanced to the level of pure eternal blissfull nature and knowledge-

Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:

Many people reject Jesus but we do not reject G-d and G-d is the important one. Not a man who was mortal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality