Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Pascal's wager is stupid enough by itself, why add circular logic to the thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So.. why doesn't that work then?
It does, but once again, you're expecting Christians to be perfect. If we were perfect, Christ would not have had to come & give His life as a "substitute" for us.

Have you ever attempted something such as losing weight or quitting smoking, & suffered some setbacks? Everyone has. The flesh is weak.

Quote:
Only if they're fruit trees.
True!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It does, but once again, you're expecting Christians to be perfect. If we were perfect, Christ would not have had to come & give His life as a "substitute" for us.
Oh no, jimmie. I am waaaaay long past expecting Christians to be perfect. My issues are not and have never been with Christians.

My issue is with the incompetent god that Christianity requires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
Have you ever attempted something such as losing weight or quitting smoking, & suffered some setbacks? Everyone has. The flesh is weak.
That's the Christian's excuse. What is the comparable excuse for the Christian god?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Oh no, jimmie. I am waaaaay long past expecting Christians to be perfect. My issues are not and have never been with Christians.

My issue is with the incompetent god that Christianity requires.
Then why did you have a problem with my earlier statement?

Quote:
That's the Christian's excuse. What is the comparable excuse for the Christian god?
You didn't answer my question.

Quote:
Have you ever attempted something such as losing weight or quitting smoking, & suffered some setbacks?
I don't expect an answer.

Nevertheless, Christians struggling to be like Christ is Scriptural. The Bible says that Christ, because He was human, understands our weaknesses.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Then why did you have a problem with my earlier statement?
A problem? I had no problem. I was putting as fine a point as possible on the failure of your god to deliver an understandable standard for Christians themselves to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
You didn't answer my question. I don't expect an answer.
That's why they're called "rhetorical."

Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
A problem? I had no problem. I was putting as fine a point as possible on the failure of your god to deliver an understandable standard for Christians themselves to follow.
Understanding God's standard is not the problem. It's right there for us to read. The problem is, we're weak & cannot follow it without making mistakes.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Understanding God's standard is not the problem. It's right there for us to read. The problem is, we're weak & cannot follow it without making mistakes.
That's a completely different discussion.

The discussion we were having did not have to do with an being a "good Christian" as an individual.

It had to do with different Christian sects "excommunicating" (for the sake of a better word) each other because they disagree on the very definition of what makes a Christian.

I mean, if I were a Christian, I would actually have a couple expectations of god. First and foremost would be the ability to deliver a single volume of unambiguous prose. It is not the Christian tendency to break the rules that I have a problem with. It is the inability of god to deliver a set of rules than everybody can even understand in the first place.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM

433 posts, read 586,999 times
God never speaks for himself -- it is always the case that humans put words in God's mouth. This why religion is a system of falsehood, with the goal of control, by means of coercion.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
That's a completely different discussion.

The discussion we were having did not have to do with an being a "good Christian" as an individual.

It had to do with different Christian sects "excommunicating" (for the sake of a better word) each other because they disagree on the very definition of what makes a Christian.

I mean, if I were a Christian, I would actually have a couple expectations of god. First and foremost would be the ability to deliver a single volume of unambiguous prose. It is not the Christian tendency to break the rules that I have a problem with. It is the inability of god to deliver a set of rules than everybody can even understand in the first place.
Some churches follow God's Word, some follow society.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Pascal's wager...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
The debate on God or no God has stricken our generation moreso than any other. Here is my philosophy on the matter:

Say that you are an Atheist...you dont believe in God or you hate God...
When you die, you have a 50% chance of being wrong. No person on this earth would gamble their careers, homes, cars, and other belongings on a 50% chance. Why gamble the future away? Consider this: what if God does exist? what if you are wrong? what if when you die you go to hell? Was it worth being skeptical? If God doesn't exist, then when you die, you will reincarnate or walk the earth as a spirit or whatever you believe. Then you can say you were right. But that 50% chance is still lurking in the back of your mind until you die. Why take that chance? Believe in God, take a chance, and at least if we are all wrong you wont have anything to lose when you die.

An old and long discredited "argument."

In order to safeguard yourself against eternal torment, you'd have to believe in all gods that promise some fantasy after-death paradise or hell. But then, most claim that they're the exclusive deciders of who gets in. And you have to disavow all other deities or else you're off their list.

Believe your way out of that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality