Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times

Advertisements

How many times must we repeat the same refutation to this same claim made in the OP by many different theists?

We are smart enough to know that it does not logically follow that just because a god with certain characteristics doesn't exist, it does not rule out the possibility that a god with different characteristics might exist. So, stop laying the false claim in the OP at our feet.

We have other, additional reasons for thinking no god of any type is likely to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ok. That will do. What I'd suggest is that, if one has a relationship with the Creator'. then that doesn't need to be within any particular religion. On does not need the restrictions, the rejection of other gods, but can accept all creeds and mysticisms under one sortagod umbrella without needing to justify one's own beliefs or argue against all the others. Isn't that even more loving, joyful, peaceful, gentle and self -controlled than buying into one particular creed as 'true' with the implicit rejection of the others as false creeds? I would repeat that, without Hellthreat, what have you got to lose?

How's your take on that?
Well let's get one thing straight. All that I said was in the light of believing there is a hell. It's just not the focus of 90% of serious Christians.

The joy peace, etc. comes from the Holy Spirit. Not from one's belief system.

And by type most religions do not worship God. Hindus are polytheistic and use idols. Buddhists don't worship any god. Shintos worship their ansestors just to name a few. So, no. IMO most religions worship gods, spirits or something else. I believe them to be in error

Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well let's get one thing straight. All that I said was in the light of believing there is a hell. It's just not the focus of 90% of serious Christians.

The joy peace, etc. comes from the Holy Spirit. Not from one's belief system.

And by type most religions do not worship God. Hindus are polytheistic and use idols. Buddhists don't worship any god. Shintos worship their ansestors just to name a few. So, no. IMO most religions worship gods, spirits or something else. I believe them to be in error
Ok. That's fair enough. Despite some atheists harping on the fear of hell as a motivator for Faith it probably really isn't, in actual fact. It is just that as an atheist I do find that the hellthreat does get trotted out an awful lot of times as a reason why we can't risk NOT believing.

So I guess I'm addressing the point to those like the OP who do NOT believe in Hell. While they would probably take your line and say they believe the other creeds to be in error, the fact is that they are as likely to be true as Christianity, and I can assure you after years of debate that this is so as Bible- believers can only default to faith -based personal preference for justification of their particular creed.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Every time you say something it's "Oh well He doesn't do that" or "That is not what it's about." Personally, at this point I don't know what He's supposed to be.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no need for a god.
There I fixed it for you.
All of these attributes, are existent in atheists and non believers and a host of other folk. But it is typical of the theist to take the good in humanity and evolved societies and ascribe it to their version of god.

There is no formula to suggest that theists are "only" happy people (except in the mind of the theist).

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
How many times must we repeat the same refutation to this same claim made in the OP by many different theists?

We are smart enough to know that it does not logically follow that just because a god with certain characteristics doesn't exist, it does not rule out the possibility that a god with different characteristics might exist. So, stop laying the false claim in the OP at our feet.

We have other, additional reasons for thinking no god of any type is likely to exist.
i agree , ive said it before , thier may very well be a god but the one which is presented to us by mainstream religon is all we have to go on and this particular god is a thoroughly unappealing charechter to many

Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
It's not about the threat of hell for 90% of Christians. It's about being in relationship with the Creator.
I appear to have missed that period some time in the past 30 years or so, when Biblegod changed from an entity that was unknowable, mysterious, enigmatic, un able to be understood and unapproachable - to suddenly being an entity that EVERY bloody Christian you talk too is having a 'personal relationship' with!!

How the hell can you have a ''relationship' with someone you have never met, never touched, who has never spoken to you etc?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I appear to have missed that period some time in the past 30 years or so, when Biblegod changed from an entity that was unknowable, mysterious, enigmatic, un able to be understood and unapproachable - to suddenly being an entity that EVERY bloody Christian you talk too is having a 'personal relationship' with!!

How the hell can you have a ''relationship' with someone you have never met, never touched, who has never spoken to you etc?
LOL, the same way children have personal relationships with all of their imaginary friends.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL, the same way children have personal relationships with all of their imaginary friends.
very true sanspeur...it is the same.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

I really find the condesending and sarcastic attitude of certain athests bit annoying and amusing. Why can't you just talk in a regular way instead of saying " I appear to have missed", and "suddenly"-etc.?

Next, light profanity.

With that said I do agree with your observation. Maybe every "Bloody Christian" you have talked to has experienced God in a real and personal way. I think if you were a spiritual person you would understand. But you aren't, so you don't. Pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality