Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I agree completely. Children should be given the tools and support to make good decisions. They should wait to have sex until they are ready for it.

I think that most people should wait to have sex until their mid to late teens, but should receive support to wait longer if they so choose.

It is unrealistic to expect most people to wait until marriage. After all, people are getting married later and later into their 20s and beyond. I do think that the link between marriage and sex should be abolished though. Monogamy is fine, but there is no reason to link marriage with some sort of societal permission to be sexually active.
Well, we agree on some but not on all... I think it needs to be linked, because unless you are ready to have a child you should not have sex. No matter what you do it could ultimately lead to conception, and if you are not able to deal with that very real possibility, and teens are not, then you should not have sex.
MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
It is not unrealistic to expect people to have self control and self respect, to view their bodies as something to value and protect.
And I will disagree with you here. You seem to be implying that having sex somehow is equivalent with not valuing one's body.

I think that having sex allows one to use one's body and appreciate it for what it is.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
And I will disagree with you here. You seem to be implying that having sex somehow is equivalent with not valuing one's body.

I think that having sex allows one to use one's body and appreciate it for what it is.
Often especially in girls, who have had multiple partners, that is the case. Females have a tendency not to separate love and sex, it is easier for males to separate the two...but that is another can of worms. Not saying sex is bad...I quite like it
MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Before I started reading the Bible . . . I gave my own spin on things . . . it's okay to live together, to have sex before marriage, to experiment, etc., etc.

Well, the Bible says it is not okay.

We either conform to this world or his. Whether it is realistic or not, this is God's way from what I read, not my way . . . .and there were many sins I needed to confess . . . . . and many things of "this" world I bought into.

But, as you can see, this world morally has fallen apart, and decayed to a point that what is righteous doesn't sound realistic.

Now that I have hard his word . . . of course this former tarot card reader, partyer, etc., etc. . . . . . . which I was, is now teaching my kids what is God's word . . . . fornification is a sin. That to me as a Christian is apparent in the Bible . . .

I only wish my parents would have lead me to God . . . and expected more of me.

Will my kids follow this?????? All I can do is pray they will, and be there if they don't . . . sharing the Word of God. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and they will not depart from it". As a Christian raising Christians, even if the view is "unpopular", I must present to them God's Word, as his Word is just, not mine. Years ago, I would have been totally different, thankfully . . . . I found God and his arms were still open to me.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 PM

117 posts, read 518,138 times
Sin is sin for a reason. God doesn't forbid sex outside marriage to be mean, but to protect us from std's, to ensure a stable and better environment to raise children (as opposed to out of wedlock birth), and because God intends sex to bring two people in love closer together, as opposed to reckless sex without love.

If this were too harsh a law, then God would not command it.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Often especially in girls, who have had multiple partners, that is the case. Females have a tendency not to separate love and sex, it is easier for males to separate the two...but that is another can of worms. Not saying sex is bad...I quite like it
MBG
LOL... me too, which is why I'm glad I didn't wait until marriage! I'm going on 31 years old, and still haven't been married, so that would a lot of good times gone. And while you're right about women having trouble separating sex & love (or at least strong "like"), that doesn't mean we desire marriage with every boyfriend. I've loved one guy, and really liked a handful of others, but still haven't felt the need to marry... and I had no problem moving on, even from those I got intimate with during our relationship. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, we're all different!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
Sin is sin for a reason. God doesn't forbid sex outside marriage to be mean, but to protect us from std's, to ensure a stable and better environment to raise children (as opposed to out of wedlock birth), and because God intends sex to bring two people in love closer together, as opposed to reckless sex without love.

If this were too harsh a law, then God would not command it.
Stupid question, but what about those who don't believe in God? And that's why separation of church & state exists, because one set of beliefs can't make laws for everyone. It's great you feel this way, but many do not, and we have to respect all opinions on something this personal.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Moderator cut: orphanedMy son just turned 13 on Saturday and to think I would condone sexual activity on his part in just 2 to 3 yrs is outrageous. My opinion is no sex outside of marriage.

Will some kids rebel and go against what they are taught? Yes. Hopefully, I'm instilling in my children (girl 11, too) that God's plan for them is greater than what they think they want at the time. Emotions and hormones are a powerful combination. Will I still teach them how to protect themselves? Yes. Will I teach them about the possible consequences of their actions? Yes. Will I tell them it's okay because everyone else is doing it? NO!! Will I give them carte blanche to do whatever they please just because they can? NO!! Nothing in this world is free, and that includes sex. There's a price to pay for everything, in more than one way.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-13-2007 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Any one that thinks that ANY 15 year old is old enough to have sex scares me. You can say you don't agree, that's fine. But I just don't think that any responsible adult would agree with him.

I'm not saying they won't have sex, giz, but stretch is said "I think that most people should wait to have sex until their mid to late teens" and that's different than saying "teens will have sex". I take stretch's comments to mean he condones sex at the mid to late teen age. I personally think that's irresponsible and it scares me for my kids sake. I wouldn't want my child dating stretch's child. My child may have sex anyway, but I wouldn't want a parent on the other side that's OK with sex at this age.

Again, you're free to disagree.

What do other parents think about that statement?
Morality aside, it is not a good thing. Because when you are that young you are just not responsible enough to make sure you are protected.
MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I don't think it's just a Christian view although Christians do heavily support abstinence. I saw some tv show about kids living in the Bible Belt and all these kids make promises to stay abstinent but they've got pretty high pregnancy rates. In today's age, I think parents have to be realistic and honest with their kids. In my household, it was fear of "disgracing the family" that kept me from any naughty shannanigans. Now at 28, my Mom is dying to have a grandchild by her only daughter!

I never had the "sex talk" from my parents but rather learned everything from my friends and school. That is not how I would want to raise my kids, just as only teaching abstinence isn't the way I'd go either. They are going to have sex eventually, pre-marital or post so you might as well lay it all out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality