Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

I'm stating RIGHT NOW. That is NOT a bashing thread. This is NOT to attack anyone. I was just sitting here thinking to myself and the question popped up. I just want an honest opinion from Atheist. And no disrespect guys. I just want to know.

What happens if you are wrong? I'm not saying we're right. But I'm asking what happens if you are wrong about God? What if he does exist? And if you die, what will you say if you see heaven? I know I would probably start crying or something.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,081 times
What if you're wrong and there's actually a god that only sends people with your beliefs to hell, and the rest go to heaven?

Anyway, Pascal's Wager is a tired argument that has been debunked in many other threads on this forum already.

But to answer the question, if I meet a god in the afterlife, I'll ask it questions if I can, I guess. It's hard to say given a hypothetical that's completely void of details. You didn't even specify which god.

I'm curious now, what do you think would happen to atheists, if they are wrong?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,011 times
I'll bite. If I'm wrong (really? who decides what is right?) then I'd bet on a "god" who wasn't anything like any of us were taught and we're ALL in for a big surprise.

So what happens if you (assuming belief) are "wrong?" With all due respect, you've wasted your whole life serving an idea whose only reason for existing is power mongering. Mind you, I lived the first 48 years of my life buying into it, and seeing things from the other side has been the real education.

PS: LogicIsYourFriend, I was composing while you were posting! Same kind of ideas, looks like!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Allen, what if you are wrong and have chosen the wrong god? You will have the same surprise as I will if I'm wrong.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
What if you're wrong and there's actually a god that only sends people with your beliefs to hell, and the rest go to heaven?
If I am wrong then I am wrong and pay the consequences. But I don't believe I am. And I asked you the question. Why don't you answer my question?

When you say "and the rest go to heaven" are you implying that you go? Then does that mean you believe in a heaven?

Quote:
Anyway, Pascal's Wager is a tired argument that has been debunked in many other threads on this forum already.
I wasn't bringing up Pascal's Wager. I want an Atheists' perspective.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:49 PM

I don't get why anybody did not answer my question. I had thought perhaps you would turn the question back on me. I just wanted you guys to honestly answer the question? What would you say? What if you see heaven?

If I am wrong, then I will pay the consequences. Whatever that is. But I honestly don't feel I am wrong. I am just asking you guys.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm stating RIGHT NOW. That is NOT a bashing thread. This is NOT to attack anyone. I was just sitting here thinking to myself and the question popped up. I just want an honest opinion from Atheist. And no disrespect guys. I just want to know.

What happens if you are wrong? I'm not saying we're right. But I'm asking what happens if you are wrong about God? What if he does exist? And if you die, what will you say if you see heaven? I know I would probably start crying or something.
I'd say, "Well, God, I was wrong -- I admit it. Based on the way you made me, the experiences I had, the evidence I came across, and the way my mind processes information, I came to a particular conclusion. I did my best to live a good life, and to live by the Golden Rule. Being a 'believer' wouldn't have affected how I lived my life, other than attending church on Sundays, perhaps." And then I guess God will do whatever he does, depending on what kind of a God he is.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I'd say, "Well, God, I was wrong -- I admit it. Based on the way you made me, the experiences I had, the evidence I came across, and the way my mind processes information, I came to a particular conclusion. I did my best to live a good life, and to live by the Golden Rule. Being a 'believer' wouldn't have affected how I lived my life, other than attending church on Sundays, perhaps." And then I guess God will do whatever he does, depending on what kind of a God he is.
Oh wow. Okay. I understand. That's interesting. This is the kind of prospective I was looking for. I totally get you.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
I don't get why anybody did not answer my question. I had thought perhaps you would turn the question back on me. I just wanted you guys to honestly answer the question? What would you say? What if you see heaven?

If I am wrong, then I will pay the consequences. Whatever that is. But I honestly don't feel I am wrong. I am just asking you guys.
You are basically just repeating Pascal's wager, which has been covered hundreds of times.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
It doesn't bother me.

Matthew 5:20 [Jesus speaking] For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I freely admit that I refuse to comply with all 613 laws of the Mitzvot.

Accordingly, I will not be entering heaven, but then neither will you, since your righteousness does not surpass that of the Pharisees, not to mention the fact that I seriously doubt if you comply with all 613 laws of the Mitzvot.

Luke 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.

The fact that you're using a computer means you have probably disrespected Jesus by refusing to sell everything you have and give the money to the poor.

By the way, he meant for you to do that now, not after you die. There's little point in doing it after you die.

Revelation 19:1 After these things I heard what sounded like the loud voice of a vast throng in heaven, saying, “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God

Like I really want to spend enternity heaping and lavishing praise on a crass egotistical being that is supposedly omnipotent and benevolent.

So, I guess we'll see each other in Hell. "Pistols at dawn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality