Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM

267 posts, read 533,483 times

Advertisements

God Hates Globes

Can anyone explain this to me?

Do you think we should ignore scientific evidence to protect strongly held religious beliefs? Should we respect their rights to keep their children shielded from offensive teachings, or just expect them to home school their children? Should we teach both?

We've had many clashes over this haven't we? Edwards v. Aguillard, for Evolution for example

Those who want to add homosexuality to the curriculum of sex-ed and assure their students there's nothing wrong with their state of mental health, rather than just push them off to the side and ignore them, instructed not to answer such questions.

But then again, what religion would you protect?

The Jewish, the followers of Christ in all their forms, the Wiccans, the Church of Latter Day Summons, the Muslims, the Buddhists, the oh so satirical Satanists, the various cultists, the Church of the Undead Hamster, those without religion, or those who's religion it is to be without religion, etc.?

How do you feel about religion's role in school? Does the absence of it mean the atheists have won the holy war? Do you think the moment of silence for prayer and meditation the United States employs is the religious fighting back?

My, this is turning into a broad topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

219 posts, read 717,874 times
I cannot be certain but that site is so extremely absurd that I would be more inclined to think it a parody.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Okay, that site hysterically funny. Best tongue-in-cheek commentary on religion I have seen yet. They truly keep it serious! Tell me they aren't really...

Here's 2 quotes that have me in stitches: "Although our group associates the term "science" with the black arts and the occult, we have used it to disprove itself. Here's a "scientific" test that anyone can do right now. Go outside and simply look at the landscape. Does it seem flat or round to you?"

And..." 5. Why do you refer to Columbus, Copernicus, and Galileo, as "the devil's messiahs," or "Satan's sons?"
"Because they are the most noted perpetuators of the global theory myth, and are burning in eternal hellfire for their lies. These men brazenly declared that the laws of nature conflict with the teachings of the Bible."

No way!

You have many questions in your thread-starter. Care to narrow it down a bit to add clarity to what you are wanting to know?

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-13-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Too funny. It's a parody about Intelligent Design. That's why they use the term "Intelligent Geography".

I think religion in public schools should be contained to a study session revolving around the major religions, so that kids can learn about other kids from around the world and around their community (if that's what the topic is about).

Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Too funny. It's a parody about Intelligent Design. That's why they use the term "Intelligent Geography".

I think religion in public schools should be contained to a study session revolving around the major religions, so that kids can learn about other kids from around the world and around their community (if that's what the topic is about).
Good answer Magellan. Since religion is such a huge part of humanity, it seems silly that the entire topic is ignored in alot of schools. We should be teaching kids all about it and how it relates to culture in general.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
Church of the Undead Hamster
I hate to disagree with you, but there is no Church of the Undead Hamster. It's the Church of the Undead Monkey! (Haven't you watched Pirates II?)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post

Can anyone explain this to me?

Do you think we should ignore scientific evidence to protect strongly held religious beliefs? Should we respect their rights to keep their children shielded from offensive teachings, or just expect them to home school their children? Should we teach both?

To speak to this point I will say that God created science so we most definitely should look at science as valid. We should not throw it out by any means. There is a reason for science to exist.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM

124 posts, read 396,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Good answer Magellan. Since religion is such a huge part of humanity, it seems silly that the entire topic is ignored in alot of schools. We should be teaching kids all about it and how it relates to culture in general.
An don't forget how it leads to war, racial hatred, murder, incest, flying into buildings, and all the other nice things in religion.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
To speak to this point I will say that God created science so we most definitely should look at science as valid. We should not throw it out by any means. There is a reason for science to exist.
Definitely so. Science is the search for truth so it can only compliment faith.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
They do this in Montessori schools. They learn about all different cultures and the religions associated with them. The participate in all the major holidays of all groups. My son's favorite Christmas song when he was 5 was the dreidel song...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality