Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
That is not a sacred book for the Christians,that's a sacred book for the Jews and it tells their story.
My point is, no one was bothered by pointing out what the Torah says, but only what the Bible says. Seems like a double standard. Can't Jews debate w/o using their sacred book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Stop and think about what you have just said here, you're saying that you're Christian God has ordained all Scripture, how do you know that? Is it because somebody wrote something in that sacred book that says that you're Christian God ordained it. That's just somebody else's opinion.
No. I believe it is truly God's message to us. If any of it is untrue, then it's all worthless. It must be 100% true to be of any benefit.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My point is, no one was bothered by pointing out what the Torah says, but only what the Bible says. Seems like a double standard. Can't Jews debate w/o using their sacred book?
I understand what you're trying to say here, but my point is that this thread is about Christianity,not Judaism, two different belief systems. If somebody wishes to debate Judaism without the use of their sacred book, then they can start a separate thread for that. I see no double standard here since we are only debating one particular belief system.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
No. I believe it is truly God's message to us. If any of it is untrue, then it's all worthless. It must be 100% true to be of any benefit.
You truly believe everything in your sacred book? Literally?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You truly believe everything in your sacred book? Literally?
Yes, but I do understand the use of parables & such.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
[attempt to derail[/mod]

does christendom have an oral tradition, that would make "bible" and literacy secondary to a secure faith?

i.o.w. do they live what they preach? do they share what they have?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-12-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I do understand the use of parables & such.
You do understand that some of the teachings in your sacred book also justify slavery, the taking of another person's life, both women and children, kidnapping, of which the laws of man prohibit, so I cannot see where you can honestly say that your sacred book is the word of your God. The Old Testament tells the story of the plight of the Jewish people, of which your Jesus was one and should be considered a separate book of its own. The New Testament, are teachings of your Jesus, of which he was a Jewish rabbi whose teachings were different than those of the established rabbis at that time. Like I said earlier, it's a good book with morals and teaches you how to be good, but it's not a sacred book and it was not written by your Christian God, it was authored by many who wrote of the events of those times and with their opinions.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,745 times
Quote:
The more I learn about brain science, the more I think that fundamentalists are wired differently from non-fundamentalists. I honestly don't understand this point of view. I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of Christianity, and I take very little of the Bible as literal fact, but I think much of it is valuable as a source of wisdom. My wife is a non-fundamentalist Christian who does believe in the key supernatural aspects of Christianity, but she thinks that the Bible was written by men, and although it's divinely inspired, much was twisted and distorted. Overall, she thinks it's a great book and filled with wisdom and truth, but she also believes it's filled with inaccuracies. She picks and chooses those pieces that seem to her to be consistent with a loving God. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we've both attended Lakota religious ceremonies, and she believes they're just another path to the same God, and that not religion has a monopoly on truth. Of course, many Christians would say that automatically makes her a non-Christian.

Jimmiej, would you apply the same reasoning to, say, a history book or a science book? If it contained an inaccuracy or two, would you therefore not trust any of it? I'm just curious.

Ptsum, to answer your original question, I'd say it depends on the Christian. My wife seems to view the Bible as a valuable but flawed "supporting document" to what she believes are Jesus's simple lessons about love, forgiveness, charity, and compassion. I think she's a Gnostic Christian but doesn't realize it. But I don't think that a fundamentalist Christian could debate Christianity without quoting the Bible as supporting evidence.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
You do understand that some of the teachings in your sacred book also justify slavery, the taking of another person's life, both women and children, kidnapping, of which the laws of man prohibit, so I cannot see where you can honestly say that your sacred book is the word of your God. The Old Testament tells the story of the plight of the Jewish people, of which your Jesus was one and should be considered a separate book of its own. The New Testament, are teachings of your Jesus, of which he was a Jewish rabbi whose teachings were different than those of the established rabbis at that time. Like I said earlier, it's a good book with morals and teaches you how to be good, but it's not a sacred book and it was not written by your Christian God, it was authored by many who wrote of the events of those times and with their opinions.
Thank you for your opinion.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
The more I learn about brain science, the more I think that fundamentalists are wired differently from non-fundamentalists. I honestly don't understand this point of view. I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of Christianity, and I take very little of the Bible as literal fact, but I think much of it is valuable as a source of wisdom. My wife is a non-fundamentalist Christian who does believe in the key supernatural aspects of Christianity, but she thinks that the Bible was written by men, and although it's divinely inspired, much was twisted and distorted. Overall, she thinks it's a great book and filled with wisdom and truth, but she also believes it's filled with inaccuracies. She picks and chooses those pieces that seem to her to be consistent with a loving God. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we've both attended Lakota religious ceremonies, and she believes they're just another path to the same God, and that not religion has a monopoly on truth. Of course, many Christians would say that automatically makes her a non-Christian.
Matthew 5

11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Jimmiej, would you apply the same reasoning to, say, a history book or a science book? If it contained an inaccuracy or two, would you therefore not trust any of it? I'm just curious.
Of course not. It was not authored by God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality