Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM

279 posts, read 1,345,788 times

Advertisements

Nope, I don't believe it. I actually think the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 04:59 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,796,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
Depends on what their 'religion' is. If its about having visions while smoking rope (there are people like that out there), then probably not.

If it's actually about following the Word, then yes
Oh so only Christians that follow a literal interpretation of the Bible are better off? I'll alert my friends of other faiths to switch now before their lives blow up...

Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,109,206 times
Hmmmm. I have to say that I am far better off in my marriage because of my spiritual walk with the Lord than I would be without it.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM

508 posts, read 1,670,356 times
I have to say that I agree. Everything I am and have comes from the grace of God. That makes my life pretty darn good.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM

786 posts, read 4,723,755 times
While I am not really that religious myself, I believe the studies. If the person follows the Bibles view of living.. life will be better. It seems so logical to me.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,782,387 times
Some of you may be surprised by my response....I don't completely agree.

My home life growing up was Christian. My mother was born-again/saved. My dad was an alcoholic. My older siblings and I strayed for quite awhile and dabbled in things we ought not to have dabbled before we even hit our late teens. (we've all settled down now and have come back to the correct path).

I tend to want to see more info, also. It is statistically shown that just as many marriages identified as Christian end in divorce as those who don't identify as Christian. I know of a pastor's son who was addicted to drugs.

I obviously agree that if you follow the Bible and it's teachings, things should go much smoother and IMHO you should be happier, healthier, etc. But we were not promised a bed of roses for being Christian. We were told that we would have to suffer and endure trials.

Pesonally, I believe my family (me, wife & kids) are much happier and content because we follow Jesus and have Jesus as our personal savior. But we too have struggles now and again.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,587,269 times
Dingler wrote:
Quote:
I believe the studies.
But again I'm wondering, what particular study are you referring to?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,650,339 times
Well, I can say that everyone has problems. My son was brought up in a Christian household, and went to church. After he graduated, he went wild, and sowed his oats. He is in rehab now, and doing much better, and it is a Christian rehab. Problems exist for each one of us, and I do believe it is how we handle these problems that might be the difference.

When Christians have problems, they take them to the feet of Jesus, and ask for forgiveness and help from Him. When non christians or should I say people who do not believe in God have problems, they have no one to turn to and tackle the problem on their own. We as Christians have been taught that we can do nothing without Jesus, and all things are possible with Him.

So maybe it is the way we handle problems differently than secular households. Now, don't jump on me here. I do not think that all secular homes have problems, ok, and that they do not handle their problems well, I am sure there are some that do. I am just trying to figure out if this could be what the article is referring to.

Believe me, if it were not for my faith, I don't know what I would have done when my son moved out and started to live such a lifestyle. My brothers and sisters in Christ have been so supportive and have vigilanty been praying for him and for my whole family. Knowing I have that type of love and support helps me to be more calm and not so depressed which in turn leaves me more able to manage and interact with my husband and young son and extended family. Without Christ, who knows where I would have ended up?

Then again, the households where parents are on drugs and have all types of druggie people who stay in and out of their homes would also be considered a bad environment and give children a warped view of family life and the cycle would continue. Especially if there is violence in the home, or sexual predators.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 PM

124 posts, read 396,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
According to what I have read there is a direct link between being religious, going to church and being happy. There is also a link between going to Church and not having social and personal problems. (such as drug and alcohol abuse, premarital sex, personality disorders, divorce, problems with marriages, career problems, etc.)

Studies have shown that people who are religious just do better in society and are better adjusted to our world. So, do you believe these studies?
How do you explain that western Europe, far less religious than the USA has far less problems than the USA? Europe leads the USA in almost all indicators of a "good life".

Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,501,059 times
Here's a link that shows the opposite regarding divorce.

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

snippet:

Variation in Divorce Rates by Religion:

Jews 30%
Born Again Christians 27%
Other Christians 24%
Atheists, Agnostics 21%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality