Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Studies show Religious people are happier and have less social problems.

Some how I think this has to be linked to the IQ difference between the religious and non religious.
I think the reasons are as outlined in the article: Churches put people in more social situations and that is probably healthier than not being in social situations - even if the basis of the socializing is most likely imaginary.

It doesn't validate religion or spirituality or god or hocus pocus or the supernatural or anything else. But, it still makes sense. I don't think anyone would argue that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
I would tend to believe the report simply because a church set up for people to be in a social atmosphere. Where as people not involved in a church have a local bar.
I am certainly not condemning the local pub. I call mine a home. However churches promote social outings and get together for the congregation as a group.
I would not necessarily say that the church members have better or worse friends but it is an organized social structure

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I think depends on the individual. Some of the angriest unhappy people I know are christians while some of the happiest and content people I know are atheists. I've seen studies that say the opposite-that atheists are more happy than religious people. I think they're both about the same. There are happy/unhappy believers while there are happy/unhappy atheists. There are also secular social outlets that nonbelievers can take part in such as local atheist groups, friends etc.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I would tend to believe the report simply because a church set up for people to be in a social atmosphere. Where as people not involved in a church have a local bar.
I am certainly not condemning the local pub. I call mine a home. However churches promote social outings and get together for the congregation as a group.
I would not necessarily say that the church members have better or worse friends but it is an organized social structure
We faced this problem when we lived in Colorado Springs and in Huntsville, AL. We ended up meeting up on Sundays with the Colorado Springs Freethinkers. They had great (non-brainwashing) activities for kids like Telescope and Microscope Night, GPS Geocaching, BBQs, and "Free Thought, Free Kids" activities, etc. Huntsville had the North Alabama Freethought...the point is, we found non-religious social activities for Sundays that were family oriented.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Ignorance is bliss?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ignorance is bliss?
Along with those who are heavily opiated...

Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
According to what I have read there is a direct link between being religious, going to church and being happy. There is also a link between going to Church and not having social and personal problems. (such as drug and alcohol abuse, premarital sex, personality disorders, divorce, problems with marriages, career problems, etc.)

Studies have shown that people who are religious just do better in society and are better adjusted to our world. So, do you believe these studies?
Yes.

Although, I didn't need a study to tell me.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."-George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."-George Bernard Shaw
I'd rather be a happy believer than an unhappy anything else. Happiness trumps truth, logic, rationale, objectivity, IQ, anything, power, wealth, health, anything.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Along with those who are heavily opiated...
"Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes", translates to "Religion is the opium of the people" Karl Marx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality