Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So you're deluded in more ways than one then?
Nope...I'm not deluded. See, it's true I pour the sand...I never said it bothered you. Not any more, anyway. I'm too honest, and too obvious...so you're on to me. I had my time for a little while when I first got here...now I just do it cuz I figure you, et al, might get a laugh out of it.

Oh, and on that other thing...you know, that "God" entity. Get back in the lab!! YOU GUYS are going to provide the empirical evidence (actually you already have, you just don't realize it) for God. Outright, direct and unmistakable! I hope it's within my lifetime...cuz I have been stocking up a HUGE inventory of "I TOLD YA SO's" I can't wait to break out.

After that, we will all get along just peachy.

Sprinkle, pour, sprinkle pour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I disagree, when one sticks their head in the sand and remains quiet, "to get along" it leaves the other end of the gastrointestinal tract exposed for any abuses the other side chooses to 'cram in there'.

When someone wants to control my life, through laws that conform to their views or beliefs, there is no getting along, at least not while maintaining any freedoms or self respect.

When we had a president that does not even believe that Atheists should be citizens, there is no getting along. This level of fanatical thinking is a threat to everyone.

Ask the 6 million plus that willing got on trains en-route to the gas chambers 70 years ago how that worked for them
But that lumps all theists into a single category. I differentiate between fundamentalists who think that their beliefs should be the law of the land, and theists who view their religion as a source of comfort and moral guidance, but who think it's wrong to impose their beliefs on others. There are many reasonable people on both sides of the belief fence here, and many unreasonable people as well.

As for the central "Does God exist?" debate, for theists and atheists who don't want to force their beliefs on others, it's purely academic. As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, my wife is an open-minded Christian, and I'm an agnostic, but since we agree on what constitutes living an ethical life, our theological differences don't cause any problems between us. We realized long ago that it's pointless to get all riled up about what nobody will know for sure until they die (assuming there's something to know). We made up our minds to "just get along," and neither of us has an emotional need to prove to the other that we're right, and they're wrong.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I disagree....

When someone wants to control my life, through laws that conform to their views or beliefs, there is no getting along, at least not while maintaining any freedoms or self respect.

When we had a president that does not even believe that Atheists should be citizens, there is no getting along. This level of fanatical thinking is a threat to everyone.

Ask the 6 million plus that willing got on trains en-route to the gas chambers 70 years ago how that worked for them

YouTube - For What Its Worth /w Lyrics

Last edited by june 7th; 05-13-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Default ~Versus~

All June is saying...

YouTube - John Lennon Give Peace a Chance - lyrics letra

It's the same in EVERY language, every culture, every belief and/or nonbelief system....Same message, guys.

~It's not that hard, folks.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Yeah...if they would just stop that public praying and ten commandments stuff.

I often wonder how people in other countries feel about Christian missionaries being there trying to change their cultures?
Well, in some cases, like a few I watched in W. Africa, the natives did not argue, nor ask questions, they had heard similar stories before. They ignored the missionaries and politely did not take part in their activities. They did allow their children to take the pencils and note paper, as long as gifts were offered and of legitimate use to the people, they would take them. They made no promises of attendance. It was kinda fun to watch.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
~It's not that hard, folks.
I think it's the extremists that make it hard for everybody. From Right-wing fundamentalist Christians to cocky know-it-all atheists, some people just seem to thrive on stirring things up. I don't know why it should be so hard to respect differences of opinion, but it sure seems to be. Atheists referring to the Christian God as "the flying spaghetti monster" can't help but know that's going to be offensive, and Christians trying to cram not only their theology but their entire lifestyle down atheists' throats is obviously going to offend. I would seriously like to be able to have a respectful conversation with anybody on this forum who doesn't agree with my beliefs but who can discuss them without insulting me. I'd like to explore our differences and find some common ground, but for the most part, people just don't seem to have any interest in doing that.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would seriously like to be able to have a respectful conversation with anybody on this forum who doesn't agree with my beliefs but who can discuss them without insulting me. I'd like to explore our differences and find some common ground, but for the most part, people just don't seem to have any interest in doing that.
Katzpur-

It doesn't mean it's not possible.

People just need to give it a chance.

~Which means it starts here, if people really want it.

And don't just say they do....

Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Katzpur-

It doesn't mean it's not possible.

People just need to give it a chance.

~Which means it starts here, if people really want it.

And don't just say they do....
And that's why I started the "Discussion Only -- No Debate" thread in the Christianity forum. What a breath of fresh air it was!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What a breath of fresh air it was!
"Within you, there is breath, and material impersonal in nature, but in God as life itself, breath is a personal spirit, indivisible, simple, that gives Life to everything."

~From the atheist mod!

Tale gentle fresh breath care.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
god is divine principle and truth.
whole lota people hate both.
lota of pretty women and good food and money, they want yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality