Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times

Advertisements

Seems like lots of people are changing church to fit their hobbies or lifestyles...one church here in Ar has started a barn church, where people bring their horses, another man has a church service out on the lake, where boaters can just sit in their boat and hear a sermon (Sunday Morning) from a cove-the preacher is in his own boat and wears swimming trunks..far from the contemporary settings of four walls. Any thoughts? good or bad..? Ive heard some say its just laziness, not to attend. IMHO, church is not a building but people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Seems like lots of people are changing church to fit their hobbies or lifestyles...one church here in Ar has started a barn church, where people bring their horses, another man has a church service out on the lake, where boaters can just sit in their boat and hear a sermon (Sunday Morning) from a cove-the preacher is in his own boat and wears swimming trunks..far from the contemporary settings of four walls. Any thoughts? good or bad..? Ive heard some say its just laziness, not to attend. IMHO, church is not a building but people..
Well, balance to everything I say. I actually find the idea of a lake or a barn setting to be a great place to reflect on God's creation and thank Him for His workmanship...

My wife and her parents used to attend the Crystal Cathedral in California, and they have/had a drive-in church. Just pull up, sit in your car and watch the big-screen! I don't know about all that...but then again there are worse things for these people to be doing on a Sunday morning than sitting in their car, singing hymns and listening to a preacher.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
For me the issue here is intent.

If the intent is to reach folks who otherwise wouldn't be exposed to the gospel, then I say go for it and how can I help support it.

If the intent is to pacify people and help them stay in their comfort zones, then I say keep the boat in the garage and leave the horses in the stalls.

Paul, somewhere, said he was all things to all people. He would adapt and change to reach his audience. But I think at some point we have to get out of our comfort zones and go and do some things for the Lord that we personally may not be too crazy about. If me showing up on Sunday Mornings is witnessing to my neighbor who sees me leave my home every Sunday, then I think that 'message' and 'witness' could get distorted if I suddenly roll out with my Bass Tracker behind me. Now if I get off my lazy butt and invite him out on the lake with me, that's a different story too.

So again, for me the issue here is intent.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So again, for me the issue here is intent.
Agreed. Something about the "drive-in" church just seemed wrong to me, like endorsing laziness. But then again, maybe it reaches people who wouldn't underwise go.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Agreed. Something about the "drive-in" church just seemed wrong to me, like endorsing laziness. But then again, maybe it reaches people who wouldn't underwise go.
Yep, and that's my point and my issue here.

Let's say there's an older woman who can still drive, but it's quite difficult for her to walk into church, climb stairs, etc but she personally benefits from moving into worship, not having the worship move to her. I think that's great and should be encouraged.

However, if I sit in my car so I can smoke while I am in church, that's another issue all together.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Part of going to church is joining the others in worship. If a person just doesn't want to be bothered with others, perhaps they need to take a good look at their personal realtionship with God. Frankly, there are too many Sunday Morning church programs on TV or radio that would entice me more than sitting outdoors in a car.

On the other hand, no one has anyway of knowing what great changes may happen in that car with the Big Screen message. It's better that nothing.

Being there with the others and with the Lessons and the music are the important things. Skip the sermons. Let the congregation sing some more. It might do more good.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default Church should be relevant

The early church... as in Paul's letters, was primarily (population) "home church" or as we call today "home groups". They were people of like needs, and developed a support structure within that small gathering. Distance to travel was very important, after all how many models of donkey's were there? Food was always involved, my kind of church. More importantly, it was an intimate gathering of people with God as the central focus, who came together to worship, learn, understand and fellowship.

Larger bodies were also around, and Paul spent plenty of time correcting and reproofing them. Either is good... but gathering is important.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM

401 posts, read 685,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
As long as the Church teaches the essential doctrines of the Church, and the Christians don't try to totally isolate themselves from non-Christians I see no problem with it in fact allot of people have sins they struggle with, being surrounded by fellow Christians a few more hours a week may have an easier time fighting the sin that troubles them most.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,751 times
Quote:
If a person just doesn't want to be bothered with others, perhaps they need to take a good look at their personal realtionship with God
If it's a "personal" relationship, why do you need others involved?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
If it's a "personal" relationship, why do you need others involved?
because God said "it is not good for man to be alone". After all, when we get stressed, we run to our caves.
accountability...... plain and simple...... accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality