U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:39 AM

18,435 posts, read 27,899,663 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the difference between Methodist and Baptist? We are Southern Baptist and have not been going to church for a while, a feeling of discomfort there, I have posted on it before.

My sons best friends father is the pastor at the Methodist church down the street, I have visited there once, with the kids. I was comfortable there, although I did feel as though people were looking at me funny.. LOL

I think they were reading things from a screen, this was about 2 years ago. It seemed like something they did regularly, and almost seemed like they were akin to Catholic to me.

Can someone here help me with that? I really dont want to stray from Southern Baptist, but I want to be somewhere. No offense to anyone who is Catholic. But I don't want to go to a Catholic type church. What I believe just seems to be so much different than what I am told the Catholic church believes... by Catholic people. Once again, no offence to anyone who is Catholic.

Any help out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,684,665 times
Methodists: Difference between Baptist and methodists maybe this site will help....I have been to both and dont really see any major differences.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,529,000 times
Methodists do not believe in "once saved always saved." They sometimes 'sprinkle' rather than have baptism by immersion and some baptize infants as well. I think those are two of the most prominent differences but you could compare the SBC's Statement of faith to the one below.

Some Methodist churches have, in recent years, become more liberal than Baptists. My SIL attends one that has a female associate pastor and there are some that accept the gay lifestyle and have (or had) gay pastors.

There may be differences in the Methodist Churches, however, as there are different 'types' of Baptists!

This is the Methodists' Confession of Faith:

Confession of Faith (United Methodist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,240,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between Methodist and Baptist? We are Southern Baptist and have not been going to church for a while, a feeling of discomfort there, I have posted on it before.

My sons best friends father is the pastor at the Methodist church down the street, I have visited there once, with the kids. I was comfortable there, although I did feel as though people were looking at me funny.. LOL

I think they were reading things from a screen, this was about 2 years ago. It seemed like something they did regularly, and almost seemed like they were akin to Catholic to me.

Can someone here help me with that? I really dont want to stray from Southern Baptist, but I want to be somewhere. No offense to anyone who is Catholic. But I don't want to go to a Catholic type church. What I believe just seems to be so much different than what I am told the Catholic church believes... by Catholic people. Once again, no offence to anyone who is Catholic.

Any help out there?

I was baptized and raised in a Methodist Church and later confirmed to Catholicism. You can feel comfortable in knowing that the Methodist Church and the Catholic Church are not at all alike. IMHO

Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,632,603 times
Default Differences

As with many churches there are exceptions to every rule. But in general, Methodists these days tend to be very liberal. At least that's my understanding. As a teen-ager, I attended a Methodist church for awhile with a friend of mine where the pastor didn't necessarily believe that Jesus had risen from the dead, etc. My background before that was Baptist which tends to be very conservative Bible based.

I don't think the Methodist church was liberal at its inception by Charles Wesley but it has certainly gone in that direction now. Baptist, on the other hand, for the most part still seem pretty conservative. Again, I don't want to make any sweeping generalizations though. I'm sure there are still some Methodist who would be Bible-believing and quite conservative.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,684,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
As with many churches there are exceptions to every rule. But in general, Methodists these days tend to be very liberal. At least that's my understanding. As a teen-ager, I attended a Methodist church for awhile with a friend of mine where the pastor didn't necessarily believe that Jesus had risen from the dead, etc. My background before that was Baptist which tends to be very conservative Bible based.

I don't think the Methodist church was liberal at its inception by Charles Wesley but it has certainly gone in that direction now. Baptist, on the other hand, for the most part still seem pretty conservative.
Didnt know that, the only one I attended which was years ago was about the same as SBC but upon futher reading, I see that their slogan reflects the more liberal stance, open hearts, open minds, maybe in wrong order but still the slogan. May not be correct, just what I read.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Didnt know that, the only one I attended which was years ago was about the same as SBC but upon futher reading, I see that their slogan reflects the more liberal stance, open hearts, open minds, maybe in wrong order but still the slogan. May not be correct, just what I read.
Again, this has just been my experience. I'm sure many exceptions to this exist.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,981,609 times
Another option you might consider is a non-denominational Christian church. Many of those seem to have Baptist roots; most will have church services that are very similar to what you are accustomed. Some Baptist churches have even taken the "Baptist" out of their names so as to not be negatively associated with the denomination.

Wherever you end up, read the statement of faith and perhaps talk to the pastor or other church leader to really see if it is a church you'd be comfortable with.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Another option you might consider is a non-denominational Christian church. Many of those seem to have Baptist roots; most will have church services that are very similar to what you are accustomed. Some Baptist churches have even taken the "Baptist" out of their names so as to not be negatively associated with the denomination.

Wherever you end up, read the statement of faith and perhaps talk to the pastor or other church leader to really see if it is a church you'd be comfortable with.
Yes, I actually attend a non-denominational Christian church and it does have many doctrinal beliefs similar to Baptist. As I stated above, my own roots were Baptist. In our case, however, we are charismatic (believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are still operational today) and many non-denominational churches do believe this.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,718,913 times
My brother-in-law was Catholic and then they moved to an area that didn't have a Catholic church nearby...so they started to attend a Methodist church. From what he said they are different but he's still comfortable there. Now there may be different types of Methodist but if a cradle Catholic is comfortable in a Methodist church I would have to say this particular one has more similar than not similar with Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality